Sony VPL HW30ES orBenQ W1070 - Which Projector for My New (small) Home Theater - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
EJ5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony VPL HW30ES orBenQ W1070 - Which Projector for My New (small) Home Theater

Hello all.

I'm finishing up my new home theater room and am torn between two different projectors. The Sony VPL HW30ES is available on closeout at about $1100, the BenQ W1070 is available for about $700. I've seen great reviews on the W1070 but most of the reviews for Sony projectors are for the HW50 and HW40. The room is only about 14 feet deep, so a short throw is important. I also will be watching about 80% movies in the dedicated room with some gaming now and then if its doable.

I've looked at the specs and whatever reviews I could find for each projector, but haven't been able to find any relative comparisons since they were released a few years apart and were at different price points when they were brand new. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Would you mind sharing where you're finding the HW30ES for $1100? You can PM me if you like.

I was leaning towards getting the Epson 8350, but for nearly the same price, I'd love to have the HW30ES instead.

The BenQ is out of the question for me due to the throw distance and RBE.

Thanks,
Old 08-14-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
EJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thucker View Post
Would you mind sharing where you're finding the HW30ES for $1100? You can PM me if you like.

I was leaning towards getting the Epson 8350, but for nearly the same price, I'd love to have the HW30ES instead.

The BenQ is out of the question for me due to the throw distance and RBE.

Thanks,
My local best buy. Open box. It was used for demos in the magnolia theater room and was just replaced with the hw40. Full warranty all accessories just no manual or box.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 255
The Sony should match the Benq well enough in most things while beating its contrast and black-level by a noticeable amount. It also has much more flexible placement options than the Benq. The Sony also runs impressively quiet.
That particular Sony doesn't perform very well with 3D and is either fairly laggy or lacking fine detail for gaming (most settings lag, gaming setting looses some detail but doesn't lag too badly). So the Benq has advantages for 3D, gaming, and generally much longer lamp-life.

They both provide a pleasant, accurate and bright image.

As long as it's primarily for 2D movies (some limited gaming and 3D) and in a decently darkened room, I'd take the Sony.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 240
If the Sony was used for in-store demos, maybe check how much usage is on the lamp (total rating is only around 2000-3000 hours; lamps are expensive).

If the usage is low and you don't need extra brightness (ie, nice dark, light-controlled room), then yeah: I'd say Sony as well.

If they stock both projectors, it might also make sense to demo them both before making a final decision.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
EJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
If the Sony was used for in-store demos, maybe check how much usage is on the lamp (total rating is only around 2000-3000 hours; lamps are expensive).

If the usage is low and you don't need extra brightness (ie, nice dark, light-controlled room), then yeah: I'd say Sony as well.

If they stock both projectors, it might also make sense to demo them both before making a final decision.
How can i check lamp usage? Is it available in the menu? They dont carry the BenQ, but they did demo the Sony and it looked great. Thanks for the replies so far.

And the room is light controlled.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Go back and open up the menu screen for the projector. It should be under one of the sub menu's like projector info.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
EJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Go back and open up the menu screen for the projector. It should be under one of the sub menu's like projector info.
I checked it and it said it only had 2 hours of use. So it must have been reset. They took another 100 bucks off. I went ahead and bought it. Seems like a good projector from what I can tell. Now I have to calibrate it. I am also looking to purchase a 110" acoustically transparent screen. Probably a Seymour. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Awesome deal. Enjoy!