DAYJOY LDCP500 Passive 3d LED Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sulakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
DAYJOY LDCP500 Passive 3d LED Projector

http://www.amazon.com/DAYJOY-LDCP500.../dp/B00GM6F0GU

Has anyone seen this passive 3d projector for under $2k? I wasn't aware there were passive 3d projectors at anywhere near this price. From the picture, it doesn't look to be high quality, but if they sell some of these, maybe there'll be a second generation soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51gwGtUCp5L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	212681  
sulakd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulakd View Post
http://www.amazon.com/DAYJOY-LDCP500.../dp/B00GM6F0GU

Has anyone seen this passive 3d projector for under $2k? I wasn't aware there were passive 3d projectors at anywhere near this price. From the picture, it doesn't look to be high quality, but if they sell some of these, maybe there'll be a second generation soon.
Nice find. Never saw this one. Just another 100 lumen toy from China. 1600 bucks? I might try one for 16 bucks.
ben38 is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sulakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Nice find. Never saw this one. Just another 100 lumen toy from China. 1600 bucks? I might try one for 16 bucks.
Yeah, I don't believe the 2500-lumen spec for a second. But they also have this:
http://www.amazon.com/DAYJOY-Polariz...yjoy+projector

Less than $400 for a demuxer. One hdmi in, two hdmi out (left and right). If I can't find 2 3DXL boxes (I haven't looked that hard yet), this might be an option.
sulakd is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulakd View Post
Yeah, I don't believe the 2500-lumen spec for a second. But they also have this:
http://www.amazon.com/DAYJOY-Polariz...yjoy+projector

Less than $400 for a demuxer. One hdmi in, two hdmi out (left and right). If I can't find 2 3DXL boxes (I haven't looked that hard yet), this might be an option.
This is just a breakout box for the projector, which obviously doesn't have these inputs. Just more junk. Don't know why you need passive 3d, but if you really do, this is what you need. http://www.amazon.com/EPSON-V11H4940...+3d+projectors
ben38 is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Member
 
jh30uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Passive 3D is better for movies IMO and many reviews in past, with Active for gaming.


There was a site explained why etc but I would need Google like mad to find it its so long ago.


You loose a lot of brightness with active, look at the Optoma's.


LG have probably the best 3D on their TV's and they are passive (LCD models), not saying their TV's are best all round though.

Last edited by jh30uk; 08-15-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Typo
jh30uk is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Member
 
skater2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
All you guys - go ahead and buy it. Please let us know how it works.
skater2 is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I understand that passive 3d is better than active 3d. But you need two projectors and a polarizing screen to get it to work. There are passive 3d projectors out there, but the cumbersome size and sky high prices make them unappetizing for most people.
ben38 is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,558
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Do you need a polarizing screen or just a pair of polarizing lenses for the projectors? If it's just the projectors, I'd think you could use a decoder box with any pair of cheap projectors and have passive 3D for pretty cheap. Line up a pair of w1070's for $1500 (plus the price of the box) or some cheaper 720 LED models for $700-1100.

I'm betting this is also another cheap-panel LCD LED model with 100:1 contrast.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sulakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
This is just a breakout box for the projector, which obviously doesn't have these inputs. Just more junk. Don't know why you need passive 3d, but if you really do, this is what you need. http://www.amazon.com/EPSON-V11H4940...+3d+projectors
You're right, I don't "need" it. But i prefer passive 3d to active, so I'm going to get it. Thanks for the link - I'll look into that. It's basically what I was already planning - 2 projectors with filters (and an Airflex 5d). I don't quite understand how that Epson system you posted works without a demuxer unless it's internal in the projectors. If so, I wonder if it automatically detects 3d source material. I'll track down a user manual. The selling point for me on the Airflex is the advanced alignment tool. I think it's impossible to get perfect alignment of two projectors without a software solution to scale the video in the correct areas due to the physical distance between the two lenses. With the Dayjoy projector that started this thread, since the lenses are so close, it seems that more-correct alignment would be possible.
sulakd is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sulakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Do you need a polarizing screen or just a pair of polarizing lenses for the projectors? If it's just the projectors, I'd think you could use a decoder box with any pair of cheap projectors and have passive 3D for pretty cheap. Line up a pair of w1070's for $1500 (plus the price of the box) or some cheaper 720 LED models for $700-1100.
For passive 3d projection, you generally need a silver screen to maintain the polarization. However, Omega offers a different type of filter that does not require the use of a polarized silver screen. The tradeoff is that you have to be satisfied with their big clunky glasses. http://www.omegafilters.com/Capabili...ection_Filters

Any suggestions on a "decoder box" that you mention? I researched passive 3d over a year ago, and I'm just now getting back into it. At the time, two 3DXL boxes seemed to be the way to go. Then Geobox. The only demuxer that I've come across now that's still in production is the Airflex5d, which has additional advantages. But if there are other options, I'd love to hear about them.

Last edited by sulakd; 08-15-2014 at 07:30 AM.
sulakd is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulakd View Post
You're right, I don't "need" it. But i prefer passive 3d to active, so I'm going to get it. Thanks for the link - I'll look into that. It's basically what I was already planning - 2 projectors with filters (and an Airflex 5d). I don't quite understand how that Epson system you posted works without a demuxer unless it's internal in the projectors. If so, I wonder if it automatically detects 3d source material. I'll track down a user manual. The selling point for me on the Airflex is the advanced alignment tool. I think it's impossible to get perfect alignment of two projectors without a software solution to scale the video in the correct areas due to the physical distance between the two lenses. With the Dayjoy projector that started this thread, since the lenses are so close, it seems that more-correct alignment would be possible.
You're right about needing the demuxer like an airflex5d. This will work with any two alike projectors, so you don't need to break the bank for the projectors. You can get two benq1070's for about 1600 bucks. Add the 1300 for the airflx5d and you have a passive 3d system for under 3000 dollars. Not bad really. Find a couple of cheaper projectors and you'll spend even less. OH, almost forgot, you still need a silver screen. The Elite Cinegrey 5d will do the job fine. You'll still be well under 4000 dollars. Good Luck to you. tell me how it works out.

P.S. when you get the Airflex be sure you know if you're going to use either DLP or LCD projectors. They polarize in opposite directions, so you need the right type of glasses.
ben38 is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Sukald
After reading through this thread, I can see how my answer to the DAYJOY may have come off as snappish.It probably was. I apologize for that. I've seen too many good people lose their money buying junk that I tend to get emotional about it.
ben38 is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulakd View Post
http://www.amazon.com/DAYJOY-LDCP500.../dp/B00GM6F0GU

Has anyone seen this passive 3d projector for under $2k? I wasn't aware there were passive 3d projectors at anywhere near this price. From the picture, it doesn't look to be high quality, but if they sell some of these, maybe there'll be a second generation soon.
What I find interesting about this projector is the Amazon review written by Richard W. Haines.

If it is the same Mr. Haines I am familiar with, he is a film director and author who lives in New York.

I would consider 4 out of 5 stars to be high praise from this individual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_W._Haines

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,558
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
What I find interesting about this projector is the Amazon review written by Richard W. Haines.

If it is the same Mr. Haines I am familiar with, he is a film director and author who lives in New York.

I would consider 4 out of 5 stars to be high praise from this individual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_W._Haines
You might be able to search for more reviews by user and find out if they're throwing out good ratings or only reviewed this one product..unless they've reviewed others with some notable care, precision and maybe a good dose of spite, I'd say it doesn't mean anything and was somebody playing a joke.
Weird otherwise.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-15-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Ftoast is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sulakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
What I find interesting about this projector is the Amazon review written by Richard W. Haines.

If it is the same Mr. Haines I am familiar with, he is a film director and author who lives in New York.

I would consider 4 out of 5 stars to be high praise from this individual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_W._Haines
You might be on to something there. THE Richard Haines's Twitter profile lists him as living in Crugers, NY. The Amazon Richard Haines that did the review has location listed as Croton-on-Hudson, NY. Those locations are only a couple miles apart.
sulakd is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,558
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Apparently the site grabbed the wrong quotes somehow..so I'll just respond randomly without them.

As far as "decoder boxes" I don't know of any, just figured they have to exist for passive 3D to exist in the consumer world. I would think there'd be PC software that could do the same thing through multiple monitor outs..no reason it couldn't be done.
I wonder what a silver screen does for maintaining polarization when it still has most of the spread of a plain white..it must either be really lax, or really narrow viewing angles, or a mistake altogether. Would that last 20% of viewing cone really make all the difference?

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sulakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Sukald
After reading through this thread, I can see how my answer to the DAYJOY may have come off as snappish.It probably was. I apologize for that. I've seen too many good people lose their money buying junk that I tend to get emotional about it.
Gud lookin ben38. I appreciate your input - it's a big reason why I post and get more information before opening up the wallet.
sulakd is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
You might be able to search for more reviews by user and find out if they're throwing out good ratings or only reviewed this one product..unless they've reviewed others with some notable care, precision and maybe a good dose of spite, I'd say it doesn't mean anything and was somebody playing a joke.
Weird otherwise.
You're correct of course, I have no way of verifying that this is THE Mr. Haines. It may be a joke but I can't imagine why.

But thanks for your comment.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 125
As to whether the Amazon reviewer Richard W. Haines is the real film director, whose professional opinion would obviously carry a lot of weight on the image quality of a video projector, consider the following:

The Amazon reviewer Richard W. Haines reviewed a technical book on the Technicolor process and said he "didn't understand" some of it. The author of that book is the film director Richard W. Haines. It's highly unlikely that the film director Richard W. Haines would review a book he authored and say he didn't understand his own work. My guess is that the Amazon reviewer is an admirer of the film director as he mentions reading more than one of the author's books. The Amazon reviewer also mentions his strong personal preference for passive 3D, which could help explain his enthusiasm for this projector regardless of how it might compare in overall quality to active 3D projectors. Link to book review is here.
Ftoast likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,558
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Thanks Dave, that made my night.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 3,587
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Several things:

1. This projector is a POS. Once again, a manufacturer without professional reviews of their product and a solid base in the USA should be avoided. You are going to feel like you have wasted your money when you have even the smallest issue and there is nobody there to support you.

2. NO LED projectors are that bright when measured. Most of these BS claims end up delivering about 1/10th of their claimed brightness (see the recent Projector Central article).

3. You do NOT NEED A SILVER SCREEN! Come on people, most of us who have been around for a while should know to check out any number of websites to read about the different screen materials, There are a number of screens which have been developed in recent years which retain image polarization while still delivering a solid 2D image as well. A big headache of passive 3D was that the screens from a few years ago (silver) looked terrible for 2D, but worked very well for 3D only. So, for 2D watching, you had a bad image. This has been corrected by some very good passive 3D screens which are not riddled with the poor quality of silver screens with 2D material.
ie: http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...15-cinegrey-5d

Basically, just trying to dispel that myth of 'silver screen'. The key is getting a screen which retains polarization as best as possible.

4. Is passive 3D actually better? IMO, not at all! I have never seen a movie in a commercial theater which retains 3D nearly as good as DLP Link does. I typically watch at digital IMAX theaters, and have seen any number of other versions, and it is DLP Link which actually maintains proper eye-to-eye separation with zero crosstalk between the images. While the glasses may show flickering to some, I don't see it and the jump in quality I get from active 3D is well worth it. I have only minor brightness complaints, but I am watching on a 161" diagonal screen. At (a fair bit) under $1,000 for the projector and 4 pairs of glasses for my family
it seems like it makes more sense to use this projector and get 20 or 30 pairs of glasses instead of going down the 'passive' 3D route.
ben38 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is online now  
Old 12-26-2014, 06:23 AM
Newbie
 
fullygeneric001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
4. Is passive 3D actually better? IMO, not at all! I have never seen a movie in a commercial theater which retains 3D nearly as good as DLP Link does. I typically watch at digital IMAX theaters, and have seen any number of other versions, and it is DLP Link which actually maintains proper eye-to-eye separation with zero crosstalk between the images. While the glasses may show flickering to some, I don't see it and the jump in quality I get from active 3D is well worth it. I have only minor brightness complaints, but I am watching on a 161" diagonal screen. At (a fair bit) under $1,000 for the projector and 4 pairs of glasses for my family
it seems like it makes more sense to use this projector and get 20 or 30 pairs of glasses instead of going down the 'passive' 3D route.
I fervently disagree with this statement. I have a pair of Gunnar 3d glasses for passive 3d viewing and and an Optoma hd25e with a pair of quality RF active shutter glasses which are constantly recommended over DLP Link and as nice as my setup is, the Active shutter does not feel as good or look any better than the passive RealD system. Keeping in mind that with passive, frame rate only matters so much as the limitation of the machines producing it. I can wear my comfy little Gunnars all day but I am anxious to get those bloody Active shutter glasses off by the end of the movie.

Passive for the Win!

PS. Imax seems to produce a better 3d image than RealD so all I need to do is get myself something similar to my gunnars and I will be set. An optically correct lens is a prerequirement.
fullygeneric001 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off