post #1 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
sqd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
A worthy upgrade?

Hi AVSForum, a newbie here..

Back in 2008, I bought an Epson TW700, which have served me very well. But, the lamp is now burning the last hours of it's life, and is in need of replacement. So I started looking for something else, but the thing is my budget isn't very high at all. If I can't find something at a decent price, I might as well get a new lamp, but it's always nice to upgrade Now, I'm from Sweden, so the prices here are higher for everything when compared to the US (for example, the cheapest price for a new W1070 is $1000). A new lamp for my TW700 is around $270.

But I started looking at some used alternatives, because I don't mind buying a used one if the lamp hours are low. I found a cheap W1060 that I'm interested in, but I really wanted to ask people who are very knowlegdeable about this first!
A couple of points:
- The TW700 is the only projector I've owned
- I have a friend with the W1070, which is the only DLP projector I've viewed, and I have no issues with rainbow effect or anything
- There is no retailer where I live that sells projectors (for test viewing different models etc)

There is also a used TW3200 for sale that I could see myself getting, though it includes a screen which I don't need, and that drives the price up a bit.. Oh well, I could always sell it afterwards.

I basically want something better than the TW700 in regards to overall image quality, and would love to have a 1080p capable unit.

Anyway, I'm sorry to come in here with what may be dumb questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 103
The tw700 is still a very nice 720p projector with an excellent lens. The TW3200 adds 1080p and maybe a small boost in contrast. If you're still happy with the performance, it may be worth it to get a new lamp for the tw700, while you save up money to comfortably go shopping for a 1080p projector in the future.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
sqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
The tw700 is still a very nice 720p projector with an excellent lens. The TW3200 adds 1080p and maybe a small boost in contrast. If you're still happy with the performance, it may be worth it to get a new lamp for the tw700, while you save up money to comfortably go shopping for a 1080p projector in the future.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm actually planning on grabbing the TW3200, got a slightly lower price without the screen (but with a ceiling mount), and the lamp hours were only 600-something. May even pick it up tonight!
post #4 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I'm actually planning on grabbing the TW3200, got a slightly lower price without the screen (but with a ceiling mount), and the lamp hours were only 600-something. May even pick it up tonight!
I have a similar model. (tw3600) Very good projector. Good luck to you.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
sqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
I have a similar model. (tw3600) Very good projector. Good luck to you.
Just wanted to say that I went ahead and picked up the TW3200 a couple of hours ago, and been testing it just now, and I really like it! The TW700 is good, but this is a step up Though I've only just gotten it, I'm very happy so far.
ben38 likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - TW700, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page