How to compare 2 projectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to compare 2 projectors?

Well, since I didn't get much help on choosing a projector for my church (Church Service AND outdoor movie night on a budget...Benq SH910?) , I've decided to take matters into my own hands.

I went ahead and ordered(and received) the Benq SH910 from B&H Photo (I've got 30 days to return it, no questions asked, right?). Can someone give me some quick advice( or an online resource) on a simple procedure to compare this projector to the HD131xe that I currently own?

I'm assuming I need a simple way to split the HDMI signal so I can view an identical signal to both projectors at once? When I do that what should I look for? What kind of scenes or video should I use to see the differences?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 221
You'll want them both showing the same size image in the same amount of light (don't let light wash across one's image and not the other).
Look at some typical items you'll project for church and compare them at the same size (truly helpful if you can get them the proper size and in the same amount of light as during service).

For movie use, compare their looks for dark scenes, their color brightness with animated content, and their rough accuracy with live-action skin-tones.
If you're looking for a good, accurate image, you'll have to calibrate them both a little in settings (at least get contrast/brightness/color/sharpness under control). Then it'll be a fairer comparison.
For service outside of movies, you'll likely just be relying on whichever is brighter.

Make sure they both suite your throw-distance screen-size needs because the entire comparison means nothing if one or both won't fit your church needs.

I'm not sure how dark your presentations will be or how small, but the sh910 is measured to be well over twice as bright as the 131xe. It is brighter in its darkest mode than the Optoma is at its brightest.
Both are capable of a good looking image for film and both are fairly quiet. The Benq has a better lens with more uniform focus and more zoom range. For both large movies and non-light-controlled presentations the sh910 has a big advantage and I'd definitely recommend it over the 131xe if the price isn't too major of a concern.
If cost is an issue, or you don't need the full 4000lumens, I'd recommend the w1070 over the 131xe for both its brighter image and better accuracy. For accurate images the w1070 and sh910 will probably be pretty close in brightness, but during presentations the sh910 will be able to be much brighter (sacrificing accuracy of course).

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-16-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page