projector vs big screen TV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Most people are attracted to front projectors to try to replicate the viewing experience of a movie theater, not watching TV. When deciding on a projector screen size to replicate the theater viewing experience, it can be helpful to go to a movie theater, sit in the row that gives you the view that you like the best and pay attention to how big the screen appears. Then go home and sit where you would be viewing a home projector and try to imagine how big the screen would have to be to replicate what you viewed at the movie theater. One of the best pieces of advice is to buy the projector first, view the image on your wall at various sizes, measure the image you like best and base the size of the screen you purchase on that. There's no reason to rush into buying a screen. Many regret buying a screen that's too small while few regret buying a screen that's too big.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I agree with almost everything Dave in Green says, but watching TV on a pj is great as well.

Plus, I will never go to movie theater again for the viewing experience of people taking on the phone, the sound being too loud, the movie being out of focus, a kid kicking the seat, babies crying, people talking, bedbugs, lice, sticky floors, dirty seats and so on.
Nexgen76 and BDUB619 like this.
post #33 of 53 Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags1970 View Post
I meant the physical dimensions of the screen. A 92" is approx. 80" x 40" of space, and that takes up a good chunk of the wall and appears as though it would be plenty big sitting about 12' back. 153" must be enormous. How big is your wall? I'm just afraid if I go much bigger than 92", it will overwhelm me
ah, I get what you mean. You very quickly get used to the size and the advice above from Dave in green is spot on...if you go projector, use your wall as your screen and zoom to the size you like. Take your time getting used to the different sizes....a screen will make a difference but you'll be surprised just how good regular paint on a wall can look. There are threads and people with excellent knowledge on screen paints and they, if done correctly, look awesome!

My false-wall is around 14' ish feet. It's an acoustically transparent home built Seymour xd screen. It's the only purchase that I have no regrets investing money into (a projector set-up).....and my snow machines!

post #34 of 53 Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
how far back do you sit for a 125" screen? I've got a pretty big wall, or so I thought. I'd be sitting about 12 feet back, so I was thinking of a 92" or 100" at most, based on the physical specs and how much wall space it takes up. Seems as though that's a lot of screen unless you sit way back?
My eye balls from the screen are almost exactly 10 feet. Honestly I would not change it. I love this position, then again I love IMAX. Anyone is good likely as far back as 16-18 feet. I would have put a larger screen in front of me but this is the limit of the wall I have in front of me.

If you want an IMAX feel it is just about dead on, I love it.
post #35 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post
My eye balls from the screen are almost exactly 10 feet. Honestly I would not change it. I love this position, then again I love IMAX. Anyone is good likely as far back as 16-18 feet. I would have put a larger screen in front of me but this is the limit of the wall I have in front of me.

If you want an IMAX feel it is just about dead on, I love it.
excellent advice, guys. I really appreciate all of it. I don't know why I did not think of simply projecting onto a wall at first to gauge my screen size. All this time I was worrying I'd get the wrong size. So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger real soon on an Epson 8350. If I don't like it, I will send it back. I will be projecting temporarily onto a very light gray wall. Hopefully I will get a decent enough picture to determine if its going to work for me.
post #36 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
excellent advice, guys. I really appreciate all of it. I don't know why I did not think of simply projecting onto a wall at first to gauge my screen size. All this time I was worrying I'd get the wrong size. So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger real soon on an Epson 8350. If I don't like it, I will send it back. I will be projecting temporarily onto a very light gray wall. Hopefully I will get a decent enough picture to determine if its going to work for me.
+1 on doing it this way, I spent weeks trying to figure out mounting distance and screen size so I could buy the screen before I set up everything, then eventually did a "Dooh!" and decided to do it this way, WOW, do I not regret it, even on a tan, textured wall the picture is great, and because I was wanting to go as big as possible it even lead me to decide to paint my screen instead of buying one, I was able to squeeze 171" out, with a 16' viewing distance, would have never been able to get out "just right" without doing it this way.

On a grey wall your only problem may be that you like it so much, you'll get lazy about finishing it..... lol.

post #37 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
+1 on doing it this way, I spent weeks trying to figure out mounting distance and screen size so I could buy the screen before I set up everything, then eventually did a "Dooh!" and decided to do it this way, WOW, do I not regret it, even on a tan, textured wall the picture is great, and because I was wanting to go as big as possible it even lead me to decide to paint my screen instead of buying one, I was able to squeeze 171" out, with a 16' viewing distance, would have never been able to get out "just right" without doing it this way.

On a grey wall your only problem may be that you like it so much, you'll get lazy about finishing it..... lol.

That is a pretty nice image for it being on a wall only. What's your projector?
post #38 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wags, before you pull the trigger, you might consider one of the Optoma H25 projectors. I recently bought the H25LV due to it having the "brightest" output (rated at 3000+) lumens. I use mine in my garage (of all places). We even use it during the day, with the door open. I replaced a 6 year old Sanyo PJ and the difference is noticeable. Most of my use is football thru DirecTV. I have never had a visitor be unimpressed. A 100"+ image can not be beat.
post #39 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
That is a pretty nice image for it being on a wall only. What's your projector?
Epson 2030, picked it up at Best Buy as an open box for $750.
It's my first, so far I'm really happy with it, plus replacement Lamps are only around $100, at that price I'm using it as a full time TV replacement.

A light grey wall should look even better for temporary use.
post #40 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

I would seriously look at the Sony HW40 and pass on the 8350....I read someplace on here where it was being sold for under 2-grand. I used to have an 8350.
post #41 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Definitely take time to adjust the size. I am limited in my space to 100" and after only 2 days I think its too small lol
post #42 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I'll take a snap tonight of my screen setup with something on it. I have a Viewsonic pjd7820hd and had a Pro8200 before it. I am a fan of DLP over LCD tech however. I have an Elite 125" screen ELECTRIC125H. Stuff looks great and again 3D is just awesome on such a large screen. Don't forget you can always upgrade because its easy to ship a projector to sell it and they hold their value well, I upgrade or change ever year to year and half. Also keeps me free from messing with bulbs.
post #43 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post
I would seriously look at the Sony HW40 and pass on the 8350....I read someplace on here where it was being sold for under 2-grand. I used to have an 8350.

That Sony is out of my budget, so I am gonna go with the 8350. I'm tempted to ask you what you didn't like about yours, but I'm finally getting off the fence, and I don't want to climb back up. But I'd still listen to your dislikes about the Epson if you are willing.
post #44 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Dust blobs, not as bright, SDE but will still look nice being your first projector.

I'm a fan of blacks, a bright picture and a projector with a sealed light path.

Although I view my 8350 as my least favorite of the projectors I've had...when I had it I thought it was pretty awesome. Only after upgrading did I really notice its shortfalls.

Again, this is just all my opinion.

Good luck, you'll still love it!
post #45 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 03:14 PM

An important consideration before locking in on a single projector like the 8350 is to know exactly how far the pj will be located from the screen. That will tell you the limits of how big (or small) the image can possibly be at different distance and zoom settings. Projector Central has a nice online calculator where you can enter a specific projector and then play with the various options to check image size at various mounting distances and zoom settings. A key thing to pay attention to is the brightness level (in fl) as you move the calculator's sliders. As you increase the size of the image it becomes dimmer. At some point it becomes too dim to handle any ambient lighting. One nice thing about the 8350 is the generous 2.1x zoom which provides for great mounting distance flexibility. Here's a link to the 8350 Projector Center calculator with the 8350 selected.
post #46 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I agree with almost everything Dave in Green says, but watching TV on a pj is great as well. ...
And I agree with you about watching TV on a pj. My wife and I watch some TV shows on our pj, and when the show is well done with quality HD camera work it's almost like watching a film at the local theater. There's something magic about front projection that changes the total viewing experience.
post #47 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

ok. I'm going with the Espon 8350. Going to pick up a soundbar with 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. Please confirm if my cabling methodology will work.

hdmi cable from directv client receiver to hdmi in on soundbar. hdmi cable from hdmi out port on the soundbar to HDMI input on projector (this should take my video only out to the projector). DVD player will have its hdmi output connect to projector which should take care of video. Optical output from DVD to soundbar should take care of audio. or would a better solution be to bring the HDMI cable from the DVD to the 2nd input on the soundbar. I'm assuming if I did this, then I'd use the soundbar can send both sources over the single HDMI out to the projector, meaning I would use the soundbar remote to control which source I wanted sent to the projector?

what's gonna keep the soundbar from playing 2 different audio sources, if they both happened to be on at the same time?

Last edited by wags1970; 08-22-2014 at 06:38 PM.
post #48 of 53 Old 08-23-2014, 07:33 AM

It's always best to go 100% HDMI whenever possible. If the soundbar has 2 HDMI inputs, it will also have provisions for switching back and forth between the 2 sources. Samsung has an illustrated example for their HW-E551 at this link.
post #49 of 53 Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

I finally pulled the trigger. Order the Espon 8350 projector along with a Sony soundbar that has 3 HDMI inputs plus 1 HDMI output. This will take care of my connectivity needs, I believe. Will order a mount today. Holding off on screen until I figure out what size looks right on the wall. Now my final challenge will be figuring out where to mount the projector as far as distance from wall and how far down from ceiling it has to hang. hopefully it won't have to hang too far. we have high basement ceilings, close to 9ft. Feels good to make a decision!!
post #50 of 53 Old 08-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Congrats man! you won't regret going the projector route. The 8350 had no issues lighting up my 153" screen. Here's an example of what it may look like.

Last edited by Crabalocker; 08-23-2014 at 10:53 AM.
post #51 of 53 Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Good move on getting a soundbar with 3 HDMI inputs. In addition to connecting your pj and disc player, you could also add something like a Roku device to stream Netflix movies, which my wife and I are doing more often. You are going to be surprised at how much entertainment you're going to get out of this. Please be sure to share some stories after you're up and running.
post #52 of 53 Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post
Congrats man! you won't regret going the projector route. The 8350 had no issues lighting up my 153" screen. Here's an example of what it may look like.

Very impressive size and image quality!! And I like how low your screen hangs. But that floor reflection tho! Might I suggest a black rug there underneath the screen to eliminate it?

Epson HC 2000 Projector & 120" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 GT: Ringo619
post #53 of 53 Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Yea the reflections look bad but when you're sitting on the couch you don't really notice it...the coffee table blocks it out. I've since changed the floor, still wood but less reflective (a bit)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page