projector vs big screen TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 08-17-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
projector vs big screen TV

I'm currently building out a media room in my basement. It's a daylight basement that has some windows however the media room would be at the end where there are no windows, but it would still get "some" ambient light during the day, but once I put up all the walls that would not be an issue. I'm on the fence on whether to get a big screen TV vs making the plunge to a projector. I have a big wall and plenty of ceiling height for a projector. It was my understanding that a good projector can rival the clarity of a LED or plasma TV. I was in BestBuy tonight and the salesman, who didn't seem overly familiar with projectors, said that an LED tv would be much sharper and clearer than a projector. So now I'm more confused. Is he full of it, or does he have a point? The main usage of the projector is watching sports from TV programming (Directv) like NFL games, racing, etc. Some normal HD tv viewing followed by the occasional movie night. I realize most people that get projectors seem to be avid movie watchers looking for the theater experience. For me I just would really like to enjoy sports on a big screen. If I get a decent projector (Epson 8530, for instance), get a decent screen, and ambient light is a non-factor, will my viewing be on par with that of a TV? I'm not aware of any stores that have projectors on display, so its a bit scary buying something in which I can't see the product as I can a big screen TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 08-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If you can swing it....go Projector! Go 130"+ you won't regret it. (if you sit at least 11' back....any closer and I'd go TV...IMO)

I'm not sure where you're from but on this thread, The "I'll demo my subwoofer for other enthusiasts" thread., I'm sure most will have a projector setup as well. See if someone in your area has a setup....I'm sure they'll let you demo their room. I live North of Toronto...you're more than welcome if you live near here.

I know with my setup football looks better on my 60" TV (more of a bell expressVu issue I thinks....) but car racing looks so much better on my projector. Regular TV looks killer on a projector and blu-ray is as good if not better than a theater. The only downside to a projector is ambient light. A TV will look much better with lights on.

My DLP projector looked better than my LCD for sports but my Lcos is the overall winner. I would go with a Sony HW55 or a DLP with a fast colour wheel (6x).

Good luck!
lgans316 likes this.
post #3 of 53 Old 08-17-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Projectors certainly are a 'scary' purchase. I would strongly recommend that if you are new to all of this, and on the fence, that the first thing to do is wire the room so that you could put a flat panel on the wall in the future if you would like to. Just a power outlet and a HDMI feed and a couple of pieces of cat-6 or conduit, and you are good to go if you ever want to do a flat panel.

But, for now, it sounds like a front projection setup may be ideal.

The cheap models (Epson 8350) are going to be average, and LCD projectors don't do as well with motion typically as DLP does. So, if you are a sports enthusiast, then getting the BenQ W1070 into the space makes a lot of sense, and is a great entry level projector at under $1,000.

For what it's worth, the sales guy you were speaking with was full of it.

WHY?

Because a projector will typically have a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels.
The typical flat panel TV has a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels.

THEY ARE THE SAME!

Neither has more or less clarity at all, so saying 'this will have more clarity' is just complete nonsense.

Now, the front projector will be a larger screen, which means that the 1920x1080 pixels are larger, and if you get up closer, you will be able to see them, but at a normal viewing distance - say a 120" diagonal image viewed from 12 or 13 feet away, you will not be able to see the pixel structure, and if you properly have the room dark, it will look stunning with a good image fed to it.

Here is what a 960x540 projection looks like on a 106" diagonal screen. This projector is over ten years old:
http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

Modern projectors look absolutely stunning, and if you can control ambient light, and perhaps paint the area where the screen will be a bit darker, it will improve results dramatically.

I would not dream of not having a front projection setup somewhere in any home I will live in from this point forward. They are just to enjoyable for sitting back with a drink and enjoying the TRUE theater experience. Seriously, a halfway decent home theater setup will rival the local movie theater pretty easily.

I use the W1070 with a 161" screen, and it's awesome to view with friends and family.
JoeBoy73 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 53 Old 08-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Because a projector will typically have a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels.
The typical flat panel TV has a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels.

THEY ARE THE SAME!
That is true but football still looks better on my 60" because, with Bell ExpressVU anyhow, they compresses their high def signal and you get a picture that at times is on par with standard definition. The 60" being smaller you're not aware of the compression.....zoom that onto a 153" screen and it doesn't look all that great. Most other sports look pretty descent...not sure why football???

Other than that I agree with everything you said.

I'm not sure if Direct TV does the same but just want the OP to be aware that not all signals are created equal and that enlarging the image may exasperate a flawed signal. (is that the proper use of exasperate??)

Last edited by Crabalocker; 08-17-2014 at 11:41 PM.
post #5 of 53 Old 08-18-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone.Crabalocker, I wish I were close enough to you to take you up on your offer to catch your setup. It makes me nervous buying something that I can't see first. I'm also a bit nervous that you say football looks better on your TV, but other sports look good. With football being the prime reason I am
building the room, I'm hesitant.

also, I think I'd be better off if I stayed away from the DLP projectors. I am susceptible to the occasional migraine and I think the color wheel effect may play havoc on me. I'm hoping the LCD's have caught up to the point where I don't need to worry about motion blur.

anyone out there with Directv and a projector, as I'd like to get their experience on how football looks.

thanks
post #6 of 53 Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags1970 View Post
Anyone out there with Directv and a projector, as I'd like to get their experience on how football looks.
It might sound silly (and you'll look odd doing it), but try sitting about 3-4ft away from your tv and watch some football as well as some other programs you would normally watch (likely some bluray) and see how your football compares to the other stuff. If it all looks similar you'll be in great shape, but if the sports look noticeably more crummy you'll have something to think about.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #7 of 53 Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You could always start small and get a cheap entry level pj (1080p) and see if it works for you. (It is still much cheaper than a TV...say $649 for a Epson HC2000 which is what I have in my basement.) We started with a $349 pj and stopped watching the 70 inch sharp as seen below in my SVGA PJ vs my Sharp 70 inch. (I gave the Sharp to the wife.) I could never imagine going back to a TV and most of our watching is 720p from Comcast. I think sports look fantasic on the big screen. I watched Denver yesterday with a 169 inch image and I hate preseason football.

Which has the better best image? A 70 inch Sharp or a 1080p Epson.... well, my 32inch 720p Sony has the best image, but I never turn it on unless I'm trying to watch two games at once.

post #8 of 53 Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Red face

I just replaced a Sony 52" XBR4 with an Epson 5030 and Elite 120" Cinegrey 5D screen.

Have a lot of ambient light and am not trying to eliminate it.

Also use Direct for my input and football looks GREAT!

Glad I made the move to a much bigger system.

You would be too.
post #9 of 53 Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Media room in basement = Projector
lgans316 likes this.

-Joe

post #10 of 53 Old 08-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
+ 1 vote on the Epson HC2000 PJ. Like Steve above, I too have the Epson 2000 and a 70" TV. My 70" Sony had the better image UNTIL I blacked out my theater room and blackened the ceiling. Now the Epson PJ looks just as bright and colorful as my Sony LED (and was confirmed by my fiance' and she's more critical than I am lol). My black levels have drastically improved and whites are still nice and clean. I watched my Chargers get blown out by the Seachickens on Friday night and the game looked incredible on the PJ. Can't wait to spend a whole Sunday in the movie room watching football on it all day! Sports, movies and gaming never looked better. So if you have a light controlled basement, definitely get a PJ. Like you, I was on the fence and worried about image quality, ambient light, etc but I took the plunge (this is my first ever projector) and I'm glad I got it and cannot image a good theater room without it. GL

Epson HC 2000 Projector & 120" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
PS4 GT: Ringo619
post #11 of 53 Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm currently building out a media room in my basement. It's a daylight basement that has some windows however the media room would be at the end where there are no windows, but it would still get "some" ambient light during the day, but once I put up all the walls that would not be an issue. I'm on the fence on whether to get a big screen TV vs making the plunge to a projector. I have a big wall and plenty of ceiling height for a projector. It was my understanding that a good projector can rival the clarity of a LED or plasma TV. I was in BestBuy tonight and the salesman, who didn't seem overly familiar with projectors, said that an LED tv would be much sharper and clearer than a projector. So now I'm more confused. Is he full of it, or does he have a point? The main usage of the projector is watching sports from TV programming (Directv) like NFL games, racing, etc. Some normal HD tv viewing followed by the occasional movie night. I realize most people that get projectors seem to be avid movie watchers looking for the theater experience. For me I just would really like to enjoy sports on a big screen. If I get a decent projector (Epson 8530, for instance), get a decent screen, and ambient light is a non-factor, will my viewing be on par with that of a TV? I'm not aware of any stores that have projectors on display, so its a bit scary buying something in which I can't see the product as I can a big screen TV.
If in your room, you sit close enough to an 80" diagonal screen to meet THX standards, I would go with the flat panel screen. The beauty of the TV is that it comes on instantly and you do not have to replace the bulb every 2,000 hours (or so) at a cost of $200-$350. You also don't have to worry about ambient light, except that reflections off of TV screens drives me crazy. Of course you get NO reflections off of a projector screen. The advantage of the projector is that you can have a larger picture AND you can adjust it to whatever size screen you like. This is easily achieved by having a motorized screen and typical black floor to ceiling window curtains that you draw to whatever width you choose. Attach black fabric to the wall behind the screen so that as you raise it the area under the screen is black. The biggest negative of TV screens for me is reflections. Today, watching Bluray movies with a projector can be as good as being at a movie theater. Watching sports on ESPN is awesome with my projector, so I don't think you would be disappointed in that regard. I have a JVC RS20, which was their top model 3 years ago. I'm sure their newer models are even better.
post #12 of 53 Old 08-18-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I share the same concern too. I already have a 60" Plasma, and I'm planning to have a projector in the basement. However, I'm really afraid that the projector won't be as clear, crisp and bright as my Plasma. I'm very concerned about the brightness, because we watch most of our time with dim light with friends, family, and sometimes in the days too. The % that I'll watch in complete darkness is about 20%.

On the other hand, I really want to experience the projector because it will be redundant to have another TV set.

What's the great projector with high level of brightness, in the range of $1,500 -$3,000 ? Is a screen of gain 1.3 and more ideal ?

Your advice would be very helpful. Thank you.
post #13 of 53 Old 08-18-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. still on the fence, but started to lean towards projector. But let me jump ahead with another question. With either solution (projector or TV), I was thinking of starting off with a good quality soundbar. I'm assuming a projectors outputs can hook to a soundbar just fine, assuming each component has the needed outputs? I'd like to think a soundbar will suffice. Perhaps later on down the road, I'll want the whole 5:1 sound system, but I doubt it. Right now my 2 regular LCD TV's, we use the sound right from the TV. We are not big movie buffs and are not "spoiled" by high expectations of some wall shaking home theater experience. I suspect a simple quality soundbar will sound light years better than the TV speakers we are accustomed to? I don't need to replicate the theater experience completely, but obviously I need some form of solution if I go with a projector. And even if I go with a normal TV, this one will be the first with some type of speakers, whether it be the soundbar or a complete system. Like I said, I feel like the complete system this early in the game may be more than I ever need, as a single speaker will seem like a huge upgrade from where we are currently at. Thoughts?
post #14 of 53 Old 08-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

It sounds like it's more of a Bell expressVu issue so football should look good on a projector. Don't be afraid...go for it! you won't be disappointed. There's nothing like the cinematic effect from your own living-room...priceless!

I would look at the Sony HW55 or an Epson 5030.

My first sound system was a cheap Polk 5.1 setup and it sounded pretty good and easily filled my 25x30 room.
post #15 of 53 Old 08-19-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok. still on the fence, but started to lean towards projector.
Welcome to the Club! Sports on a projector is fantastic— you'll love it.

Quote:
I'd like to think a soundbar will suffice. Perhaps later on down the road, I'll want the whole 5:1 sound system, but I doubt it.
And Welcome to The Slippery Slope! I started with an old $5 CRT projector that I found at a garage sale, projected onto a dropcloth taped to a wall in my basement, using an old stereo system with two old speakers with crumbling woofer surrounds. That impressed she-who-must-be-obeyed enough that it was able to evolve into a 114" wide AT 'scope screen with 7.1 surround and transducers in my furniture. Now I'm building an Atmos room.

Again, Welcome to The Slippery Slope!

-Joe

post #16 of 53 Old 08-19-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Ok. still on the fence, but started to lean towards projector. But let me jump ahead with another question. With either solution (projector or TV), I was thinking of starting off with a good quality soundbar. I'm assuming a projectors outputs can hook to a soundbar just fine, assuming each component has the needed outputs? I'd like to think a soundbar will suffice. Perhaps later on down the road, I'll want the whole 5:1 sound system, but I doubt it. Right now my 2 regular LCD TV's, we use the sound right from the TV. We are not big movie buffs and are not "spoiled" by high expectations of some wall shaking home theater experience. I suspect a simple quality soundbar will sound light years better than the TV speakers we are accustomed to? I don't need to replicate the theater experience completely, but obviously I need some form of solution if I go with a projector. And even if I go with a normal TV, this one will be the first with some type of speakers, whether it be the soundbar or a complete system. Like I said, I feel like the complete system this early in the game may be more than I ever need, as a single speaker will seem like a huge upgrade from where we are currently at. Thoughts?
I would always push big on the sound since I think that is such a key part of the experience. If you look over at the speakers section there are several threads about doing 5.1 on a budget.

I've never used a soundbar, but if you're really looking for something that is better then TV speakers and wont take up much room that is certainly an option.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #17 of 53 Old 08-20-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 390
A projector is so awesome. Gives you that movie theater feel, not to mention the extreme value. There are some projectors that throw a beautiful picture just as good or not better than your current flat screens.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #18 of 53 Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone.Crabalocker, I wish I were close enough to you to take you up on your offer to catch your setup. It makes me nervous buying something that I can't see first. I'm also a bit nervous that you say football looks better on your TV, but other sports look good. With football being the prime reason I am
building the room, I'm hesitant.

also, I think I'd be better off if I stayed away from the DLP projectors. I am susceptible to the occasional migraine and I think the color wheel effect may play havoc on me. I'm hoping the LCD's have caught up to the point where I don't need to worry about motion blur.

anyone out there with Directv and a projector, as I'd like to get their experience on how football looks.

thanks
I have a dual setup - a BenQ W1080ST Projector and a Samsung 65" LCD/LED. Both use the Darbee Darblet which makes more of a discernible difference on the projector than the LCD/LED. But it still looks great with the LCD/LED - the picture "glows."

I have DirecTv "Genie." I still watch football on my 65" Samsung. It's o.k. on a projector but the resolution isn't there, at least for me. I confine my projector viewing to Bluray movies - - which is the best source you can get. Outside of an occasional hockey game, it's the LCD/LED over the projector for football or any other viewing outside of "Bluray." IMHO.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #19 of 53 Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I have a dual setup - a BenQ W1080ST Projector and a Samsung 65" LCD/LED. Both use the Darbee Darblet which makes more of a discernible difference on the projector than the LCD/LED. But it still looks great with the LCD/LED - the picture "glows."

I have DirecTv "Genie." I still watch football on my 65" Samsung. It's o.k. on a projector but the resolution isn't there, at least for me. I confine my projector viewing to Bluray movies - - which is the best source you can get. Outside of an occasional hockey game, it's the LCD/LED over the projector for football or any other viewing outside of "Bluray." IMHO.

ok, just when I was about to pull the trigger on a projector, someone who has directv tells me that football doesn't look as good on the projector resolution-wise as it does his TV. And it seems like he's got a pretty good projector there. So now I'm hesitant. Why would the resolution not be there? My main use for this projector is NFL, NASCAR, and a few other sports. I don't want to be disappointed with resolution. Geez, this decision is really much more difficult than I anticipated. Football season will be here before I get off the damn fence! Please keep the input coming, I don't see how much more confused I can become!
post #20 of 53 Old 08-20-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
ok, just when I was about to pull the trigger on a projector, someone who has directv tells me that football doesn't look as good on the projector resolution-wise as it does his TV. And it seems like he's got a pretty good projector there. So now I'm hesitant. Why would the resolution not be there? My main use for this projector is NFL, NASCAR, and a few other sports. I don't want to be disappointed with resolution. Geez, this decision is really much more difficult than I anticipated. Football season will be here before I get off the damn fence! Please keep the input coming, I don't see how much more confused I can become!
I think he means: garbage in, garbage out.

If your broadcast provider is supplying highly-compressed, dodgy-quality so-called-'high-def': then blown up to 120" in screen size, it isn't going to look good.

Blurays are minimally compressed and almost always provide top-notch picture quality; which is why they usually look somewhat better than other sources.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #21 of 53 Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Sports broadcasts do lots of compression in order to maintain smooth motion. This is why stations that have lots of sports like FOX, ESPN, and ABC use 720p. Blowing up a heavily compressed 720p image is not pretty.
post #22 of 53 Old 08-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

I was watching CFL highlights on TSN and the football looked rather good. It's when I watch it on the network channels that appears to look...not so great. I noticed this as well with hockey. CBC looks a lot worse than TSN. Maybe TSN pays more for bandwidth???

Maybe post a new topic asking direct TV people and projectors for their opinion....see if you get a consensus?
post #23 of 53 Old 08-20-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post
I was watching CFL highlights on TSN and the football looked rather good. It's when I watch it on the network channels that appears to look...not so great. I noticed this as well with hockey. CBC looks a lot worse than TSN. Maybe TSN pays more for bandwidth???

Maybe post a new topic asking direct TV people and projectors for their opinion....see if you get a consensus?
well I'm assuming Directv compresses their broadcasts, so that tells me that I'm not going to get the quality I desire. I understand bluray is different and will yield a great picture, but the sports channels being delivered over Directv are going to be 90% of my viewing, so that leaves me thinking I should avoid a projector. Is one TV content provider different than the other? I assumed they all operate the same way. I've seen images of football and other sports on these forums and various other sites that was taken off a projector, so it seems a clear picture is achievable. Just not sure under what circumstances those clear images were taken off from as far as picture source (cable, local, satellite, etc)
post #24 of 53 Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have Dish and games on NFL network look amazing at 100". Haven't tried it on a local network yet. NFL Gamepass looks just as good.
post #25 of 53 Old 08-20-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have Comcast and sports (racing, football, basketball, etc.) look great....but, here comes the but... I have noticed that my Fox HD signal doesn't look as good as other channels. Fox is so bad (169 inch image) that I will go to the Redzone channel and watch it (great picture) over watching the entire game on Fox, so a pj might not work for you.

The key for you is to rent or borrow or find a forum member to show you or buy one from Amazon (and return it if it doesn't work).
post #26 of 53 Old 08-21-2014, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
No worries - - you'll make the right decision before football season. We're still in TV "preseason" mode!

Here are your main considerations that you need to look at when considering a projector versus a panel TV:

1. Your viewing environment. Most projectors will need a completely darkened room. If you are comfortable ALWAYS watching TV in a darkened room, then o.k. If you have ambient light or you like to watch TV with some lights on, this is a consideration.

2. Resolution - - notwithstanding source issues (cable or satellite) - - when you increase screen size, the picture isn't as forgiving. The best analogy I can make is looking at a streaming movie on a projector, large screen versus a smaller screen. I know this isn't a perfect example, but in my case, I cannot watch ANY streaming movie on my 100" (16 X 9) screen. The compression really shows up the larger your picture is. It's acceptable on my 65" Samsung, but even then, I'm a stickler for having a razor sharp image - - which I get with satellite (versus cable, earlier - at least in my area) on my 65" screen.

I have a high speed internet connection (20 mbps downstream) but even then, I prefer Bluray to any streaming and consequently, I do not stream anything to my TV. And one AVS member was right on about compression and how they can differ between channels. CNN is absolutely brilliant. So is football on all channels. Razor sharp with incredible colors. (Darbee Darblet - a must have for a projector in my opinion. Also superb for any HDTV in your chain.)

DirecTv is not as clear and pristine on my projector versus my Samsung 65". That is my observation.

It is also why I went to a dual setup for movies. I didn't spend a tremendous amount of $$$ on a projector - BenQ W1080ST (short throw). If I knew the picture would turn out to be as good as it is, I would have invested in a better screen! Now, many members will have a better projector than I have - - so the visual acuity can be better. But - - the issue still remains about a darkened room for viewing.

When it's movie time, it's projector time - - Bluray quality and especially for letterbox movies. The room is totally dark - no windows. I always felt a little cheated for letterbox movies on my 65" screen. Many folks will not have that problem, but immersing yourself in a big screen for a movie is a very enjoyable experience. For sports and other viewing, I want as razor sharp image as I can to see what's going on. I mean reading the logos on the shirts of the fans in the stands.

So in summary - - I believe your main consideration is your viewing environment. If you like watching ALL TV in the dark and you can control your light sources, a projector may be the best choice for you. This will cost you more especially if you invest in a better screen. Say - at least $1K for a screen and $2K for a projector. That's the minimum investment IMHO. You can get a good picture for less, but higher end projectors with horizontal and vertical lens shift will cost more. I see the Sony VPL-HW40ES is around $2K on Amazon today. And, you'll need to understand throw distance, mounting issues (weight of projector) and how to setup your screen. All doable, but more work and research on your part. (Actually, a very fun project!)

I found a dual setup gives me the best of both worlds - - and my screen was only $149.00! (FAVI) It's an electric projection screen with a remote that lowers over my 65" Samsung set. But I know that my setup is not the norm.

I hope this helps.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #27 of 53 Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
As someone who switched to projection back in 2012. I have had two projectors. There is a major advantage to them and that is the easy of upgrade. You can sell the old buy the new, just a bonus to note.

Once you go projector it is extremely hard to go back. Things will start feeling small. I have a viewsonic pjd7820hd($600-$700 investment) and using a 125" screen. It is extremely addicting. That being said also 3D content on that large of screen is far more enjoyable. My 3D at home is better than it feels in a theater. Anyway. I do have some light fill most of the time and so long as you don't point lights directly at the screen it's always view-able.
post #28 of 53 Old 08-21-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post
As someone who switched to projection back in 2012. I have had two projectors. There is a major advantage to them and that is the easy of upgrade. You can sell the old buy the new, just a bonus to note.

Once you go projector it is extremely hard to go back. Things will start feeling small. I have a viewsonic pjd7820hd($600-$700 investment) and using a 125" screen. It is extremely addicting. That being said also 3D content on that large of screen is far more enjoyable. My 3D at home is better than it feels in a theater. Anyway. I do have some light fill most of the time and so long as you don't point lights directly at the screen it's always view-able.

how far back do you sit for a 125" screen? I've got a pretty big wall, or so I thought. I'd be sitting about 12 feet back, so I was thinking of a 92" or 100" at most, based on the physical specs and how much wall space it takes up. Seems as though that's a lot of screen unless you sit way back?
post #29 of 53 Old 08-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'd be sitting about 12 feet back, so I was thinking of a 92" or 100" at most, based on the physical specs and how much wall space it takes up.
What do you mean by physical specs? I sit 14' back on a 153" screen.
post #30 of 53 Old 08-21-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post
What do you mean by physical specs? I sit 14' back on a 153" screen.
I meant the physical dimensions of the screen. A 92" is approx. 80" x 40" of space, and that takes up a good chunk of the wall and appears as though it would be plenty big sitting about 12' back. 153" must be enormous. How big is your wall? I'm just afraid if I go much bigger than 92", it will overwhelm me
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page