Best cheap projector mount for my situation? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chmcke01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Best cheap projector mount for my situation?

So, I would greatly appreciate any help with this situation. In the attached pictures you will see that our living room is about 11.5 feet by 18 feet. I plan to ceiling mount the projector about 11 feet back (the yellow square) centered left/right in the room projecting onto the wall at the top of the pic. Originally the plans called for a standard 52" ceiling fan centered left/right and top/bottom (so exactly 2 feet in front of where I planned to put the projector). I talked my wife into moving the fan a foot and a half to the right (away from the front door and windows) but she doesn't want it moved any more than that. So, the fan will not be close enough to hit the projector and won't be directly in front of it but the blades will still likely block a portion of the image unless I place the projector below the blades.

We have 8 foot ceilings and the second picture shows the fan drop down. The fan could be used with a 2" down rod or a 4" down rod, but we aren't sure which one the contractor got.

So, do I have any chance of mounting the projector close enough to the ceiling that the image won't be blocked by the fan blades or is the only/best option to have the projector just slightly below the fan height?

And...another difficulty is that when I started this home theater project my wife gave me a strict budget, and I have everything I need now except for the ceiling mount....but I only have $50 left in the home theater fund and my wife won't budge. She says we can potentially get a more expensive mount down the line, but wants me to stick to the $50 limit at least until after the holidays and tax season.

So, given these two restrictions, what projector mount would you recommend me to buy? Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Forgot to mention, I have a BenQ W1070.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living_room_edited.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	224881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140822_202651.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	224889  

Last edited by chmcke01; 08-22-2014 at 07:33 PM.
chmcke01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Member
 
scotthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Q: How big a screen are you planning to use, & where (vertically) on the wall do you want it? If you haven't nailed down the fan location yet, you might consider shifting it back to L:R room center, ~12ft from the screen wall. 'Twould put it above the overheated::enthusiastic audience, & allow you to use a flush mount - putting the projector above the blade sweep.

FWIW - I'm using a $20 Dell:Chief mount I got on ebay for my w1070 - it can be used for flush mounts, but I'm using it for 15" drop. Hole pattern matches - but enlarged with a 1/8" bit to accommodate the M4 hardware.
scotthal is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chmcke01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
Q: How big a screen are you planning to use, & where (vertically) on the wall do you want it? If you haven't nailed down the fan location yet, you might consider shifting it back to L:R room center, ~12ft from the screen wall. 'Twould put it above the overheated::enthusiastic audience, & allow you to use a flush mount - putting the projector above the blade sweep.

FWIW - I'm using a $20 Dell:Chief mount I got on ebay for my w1070 - it can be used for flush mounts, but I'm using it for 15" drop. Hole pattern matches - but enlarged with a 1/8" bit to accommodate the M4 hardware.
I am going to project directly onto the wall like I do now, so screen size is variable...I would love to pretty much fill the wall. I am using about a 140" screen now, I am willing to go a little smaller but preferably no smaller than 120".

Thanks, I agree with you that would be better but I don't think my wife would go for it and the fan blades are almost 26" long so the furthest from the screen I could be would be about 9' 10".

I guess my only options is to just drop down the projector to directly below the fan blades. I will ask the contractor to go with the 2" drop rod if possible, that way I think I could still have the screen just about 10" from the ceiling, allowing me to have about the same size screen I have now while still giving me 18" from the floor to the bottom of the screen.
chmcke01 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chmcke01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Chief-U...item2a40657b5c

Any idea if this would work with a BenQ W1070?
chmcke01 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Member
 
scotthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Chief-U...item2a40657b5c

Any idea if this would work with a BenQ W1070?
Yep, it'll work. You just need to enlarge the matching holes in the existing pattern. Only real downside is that it lacks the internal cable routing of the larger :: more expensive mounts.

Re-reading your prior info - the minimum drop for that mount is 13", which would put your lens center a bit more than 15" from the ceiling. Means top of screen at 15" + (0.05 * screen_height) ...

If your contractor goes with the shorter down rod, you'll still need to clear ~11" (8.5" + ?blade_pitch).

With respect to my earlier suggestion, the projector could be backed up almost all the way to the motor mount - yielding a 10'8" throw.

Last edited by scotthal; 08-24-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Additional info, typo
scotthal is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Member
 
b15nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I used this one on my HD131Xe and should work with the benq

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007VDGX14
b15nut is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chmcke01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Modify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
Yep, it'll work. You just need to enlarge the matching holes in the existing pattern. Only real downside is that it lacks the internal cable routing of the larger :: more expensive mounts.

Re-reading your prior info - the minimum drop for that mount is 13", which would put your lens center a bit more than 15" from the ceiling. Means top of screen at 15" + (0.05 * screen_height) ...

If your contractor goes with the shorter down rod, you'll still need to clear ~11" (8.5" + ?blade_pitch).

With respect to my earlier suggestion, the projector could be backed up almost all the way to the motor mount - yielding a 10'8" throw.
I am fine if I have to have it lower than I'd prefer, I just want a good mount in my price range. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like I could cut a couple inches off and it would still work just as well it would just reduce both the minimum and maximum drop?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	228233  
chmcke01 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Member
 
scotthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
I am fine if I have to have it lower than I'd prefer, I just want a good mount in my price range. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like I could cut a couple inches off and it would still work just as well it would just reduce both the minimum and maximum drop?
I just remeasured mine; minimum drop in the base configuration is 12". Both upper & lower pipes are pretty heavy gauge steel - cutting them would require some effort, and you'd need to drill new through holes on the lower pipe. Doable, a bit of a pain, but it would (as you say) reduce both minimum & maximum drop.
scotthal is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chmcke01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got it

Hopefully it works out, I put in an offer for $17 with free shipping and the seller accepted so I should be getting it soon. Not moving in for at least 6 weeks so I have plenty of time to get the fit worked out.
chmcke01 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
ceiling , fan , light , mount , projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off