Cheapest digital projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-22-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cheapest digital projector?

What is the cheapest projector I can get online but with good value i.e. internal parts? I'm looking for a projector system for my bedroom that I can do on a screen on one of my side walls. Cheapest projector that's not a complete piece of crap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Welcome to the forum Not a great start though, "not a complete piece of crap" doesn't give one much to go on for recommendations.

1) Room light control
2) Throw distance and desired screen size
3) Resolution
4) Budget
5) etc
post #3 of 4 Old 08-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 143
As long as you are able to get it nice and dark in there, there's a big selection of 720p resolution LED projectors around $350-450 or lamp-based around $450-550.
If you need native 1080p you'll be looking at $700-750 for lamp-based (where the w1070/w1080 comes highly recommended) or $1200-1400 for LED.
If you are okay with more visible pixels and likely some "screendoor" effect, there are lower resolution and dimmer choices that can be found closer to $200-300, but it's probably safest to stick to the slightly brighter and higher resolution options if at all possible.

Lamp-based will have a bit more placement flexibility because they'll have a small amount if optical zoom that helps a lot if you'll be ceiling-mounting. Replacement lamps can be expensive at anywhere from $90-250, but they last for years (many of the suggested lamp-based DLP projectors will last roughly 5years before you need a new lamp) toss $2 into a jar every week and you'll be good way ahead of time.
LED-based will tend to run a little louder (except the LG's and a couple other larger cased units) and will be about as loud as a gaming computer or hot laptop. Not distracting during parts with sound, but noticeable during silent portions to the extent that some may find it to be too much. If you're already running a fan, heat, AC or any other noisy appliances nearby, the projector's noise will be drowned out easily enough.

For a quick opinion, I really like my Aaxa P300 ($400 720p LED DLP) with a minimum of adjusting it puts out a very nice picture, it's small size and weight works well on a tripod and its contrast is very impressive for its price. There are, however, brighter options around the same price as well as a couple slightly cheaper units now available around $350.. so you'll likely be served better by a slightly better performing but less portable device.

Also, I second what Mik James said; to give good, accurate advice we'll need to know what sort of room and light situations you're working with as well as screen-size (diagonal inches as well as aspect ratio.. 9:16, 4:3, 2.39) and if you're needing to stay inside a certain throw distance and budget.
For the record, if you can afford $750 and fit a w1070, you'll be getting what's often said to be (with good reason) the best picture you'll find under $2000. To beat the w1070, you'll have to spend almost 3X as much! It's the champion of bang-for-buck.

BUT you can certainly spend a lot less for a lower res, less bright and accurate and less contrast-y picture that will still be a far cry from "trash".

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been looking to a cheap projector as well and I have a thread like yours here which could give you some info into what I'm looking for as well that might help you! In the market looking for an afforadable portable projector

I'm rather impressed by this comparison video between a the LG PB63U and the AAXA LED Showtime (
). The LG seems to have less color and brightness compared to the LED Showtime but it's more expensive. I'm looking into their newer model, the LED Android which seems to be improved upon and have more options, like built in Android OS to play applications like Netflix and still are cheaper than the LG which underperforms! I'm going to give them a shot and I'll let you know about my experiences with their projector soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
As long as you are able to get it nice and dark in there, there's a big selection of 720p resolution LED projectors around $350-450 or lamp-based around $450-550.
If you need native 1080p you'll be looking at $700-750 for lamp-based (where the w1070/w1080 comes highly recommended) or $1200-1400 for LED.
If you are okay with more visible pixels and likely some "screendoor" effect, there are lower resolution and dimmer choices that can be found closer to $200-300, but it's probably safest to stick to the slightly brighter and higher resolution options if at all possible.

Lamp-based will have a bit more placement flexibility because they'll have a small amount if optical zoom that helps a lot if you'll be ceiling-mounting. Replacement lamps can be expensive at anywhere from $90-250, but they last for years (many of the suggested lamp-based DLP projectors will last roughly 5years before you need a new lamp) toss $2 into a jar every week and you'll be good way ahead of time.
LED-based will tend to run a little louder (except the LG's and a couple other larger cased units) and will be about as loud as a gaming computer or hot laptop. Not distracting during parts with sound, but noticeable during silent portions to the extent that some may find it to be too much. If you're already running a fan, heat, AC or any other noisy appliances nearby, the projector's noise will be drowned out easily enough.

For a quick opinion, I really like my Aaxa P300 ($400 720p LED DLP) with a minimum of adjusting it puts out a very nice picture, it's small size and weight works well on a tripod and its contrast is very impressive for its price. There are, however, brighter options around the same price as well as a couple slightly cheaper units now available around $350.. so you'll likely be served better by a slightly better performing but less portable device.

Also, I second what Mik James said; to give good, accurate advice we'll need to know what sort of room and light situations you're working with as well as screen-size (diagonal inches as well as aspect ratio.. 9:16, 4:3, 2.39) and if you're needing to stay inside a certain throw distance and budget.
For the record, if you can afford $750 and fit a w1070, you'll be getting what's often said to be (with good reason) the best picture you'll find under $2000. To beat the w1070, you'll have to spend almost 3X as much! It's the champion of bang-for-buck.

BUT you can certainly spend a lot less for a lower res, less bright and accurate and less contrast-y picture that will still be a far cry from "trash".
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page