Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Overheating Question

Hi,

I recently moved into a new home (renting) where the owner decided to leave his old projector, which I love. But I think I'm starting to learn why he left it.

It's a Sony VPL-VW50. I'll turn the projector on, and it variously automatically turns off between 10 minutes of being turned on.... or it could run for 1-2 hours, and then it will automatically shut off. It's pretty random. But sooner or later, it [U]will[U] automatically shut off.

The Off light (Red light) will blink 3 times after it automatically shuts off... which I learned (via the online manual for the projector) the red light blinking, means the bulb is out and it needs to be replaced.

So... I bought a new bulb, and within the first hour of installing the new bulb, nothing changed. It automatically shut off again.

When I was installing the new bulb, i couldn't help but notice the old bulb was EXTREMELY hot... in fact, I had to get an oven mitt to handle the old bulb.

I can't help but assume the reason the projector is shutting off, is b/c it's overheating. I'm thinking about buying a laptop cooler and placing it on top of the mount...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Do you hear the internal fan running and feel the airflow out the vents ? If not, then you need to take the projector apart and replace the fan. No external fan is going to make enough difference to matter. Even if you feel airflow, the fan could be dirty or otherwise not moving as much air as it needs to. Ideally, a repair shop could take it apart, clean the interior, test the fan and the temperature senor, replace what was necessary ... and not charge a fortune. In reality, they would definitely charge a fortune. More than the projector is worth and more than a new entry level projector would cost.

The beauty of it being essentially useless is that you can take it apart yourself without worry about making things any worse.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #3 of 3 Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmoritz View Post
... When I was installing the new bulb, i couldn't help but notice the old bulb was EXTREMELY hot... in fact, I had to get an oven mitt to handle the old bulb. ...
Projector lamps can reach temperatures exceeding 1,500 degrees fahrenheit during normal operation. You bet they can be EXTREMELY hot! They can take a long time to cool down after shutting off. How soon after the pj shut off did you attempt to remove the old lamp? The advice offered by dreamer is good. But the very first thing to check is the air filter. It's possible the previous owner never cleaned it and there could be insufficient airflow to properly cool the lamp. Always start by eliminating the simplest possible solutions before moving on to more complex ones. Adding a DIY cooling fan would be the last thing to try. Sony engineers originally designed the pj to be properly cooled. It's best to get it back as close as possible to original performance by checking all the original cooling features to make sure they are properly working. If it sometimes runs for an hour or more then the original cooling features are likely only partially compromised or intermittently failing to work at full strength. I don't see how it could ever run for an hour or more if the original fan had completely failed.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page