• 1 Post By Ftoast
  • 1 Post By jdaghir

post #1 of 7 Old 08-31-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best Short Throw Projector?

Hello guys, first post here... Great forum by the way!... Well, I'm wondering which one short throw projector would be the best choice in terms of image quality (mainly contrast/deep blacks) under $5,000. I have an small room and i wish to project a 120 inches screen from 6.5ft. I know the Benq 1080ST would do the job, however i'm not satisfied with its low black levels
I just can't find a projector that fills my needs here exposed. Help me plz!
(Sorry for bad english, i'm from Brazil)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-31-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
It's likely that the only way you'll find a better looking short-throw than the w1080 is if someone reputable makes a LCoS-ST..which I haven't heard of. Now I'm curious as well. Sounds like you've got the proper budget for it if it exists.
Thiws likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-01-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well, i think i'll have to wait 4k projectors to become more popular. I hope some manufacturer be interested to release a better short throw 4k projector... Sure i'll have the budget for it, its gonna be like shut up and take my money! lol...
Thx for the reply!
post #4 of 7 Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

There's a goofy but proven to work (to some extent) alternative of getting a good projector and putting a camera zoom-lens in front. I'm not sure how much it would degrade the image but it looked really neat in a YouTube video..didn't seem to distort the image at all. I think the user said the lens was $80 or so.. that plus a nice theater projector in the $2500-3500 range might be your strange yet functional ticket.
Thiws likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-01-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
There's a goofy but proven to work (to some extent) alternative of getting a good projector and putting a camera zoom-lens in front. I'm not sure how much it would degrade the image but it looked really neat in a YouTube video..didn't seem to distort the image at all. I think the user said the lens was $80 or so.. that plus a nice theater projector in the $2500-3500 range might be your strange yet functional ticket.
Hmm very interesting... Could you post the link of the video plz?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiws View Post
Hmm very interesting... Could you post the link of the video plz?
Here's the thread with the discussion and video:

Question About Wide Angle Lens and My Projector

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-01-2014 at 10:26 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-03-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
You can also point the projector away from the screen and bounce the image off of a first surface mirror to effectively increase the throw. That's what I do with my Infocus IN72. A first surface mirror eliminates the slight double reflection you would get with a regular mirror, but you can certainly use a regular mirror to determine the correct size & location before buying a first surface mirror.
Ftoast likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page