Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need Short Throw Lens Projector and Low Ceiling Basement

Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations for a Home Theatre Projector that I want to install in my basement. The ceiling height of the basement is approximately 7 feet. The throw distance will be about 10 feet. Any thoughts recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Detox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox View Post
Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations for a Home Theatre Projector that I want to install in my basement. The ceiling height of the basement is approximately 7 feet. The throw distance will be about 10 feet. Any thoughts recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Detox
10' is not really short throw... We can give you about 200" or so in diagonal with 10' lens to screen...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

I expect the BenQ W1070 will work well. It only has to be a couple of inches above the screen, and supports a diagonal between 92" and 120" with a 1080p image, 3D support, and a excellent price.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Unless your budget can reach above $2000, the w1070 will be the best looking projector you can find below that amount..the fact that it costs only slightly more than 1/3 as much is what makes it by far the best bang-for-buck in home-theater.

It also happens to have the best combination of shallow offset and somewhat shorter throw-distance which should be perfect for putting a big screen in that relatively small room.

It also doesn't hurt that the w1070 is both equipped with very accurate settings straight out of the box AND has proven to have a very consistently bright and long-lived lamp...all adding up to make it one of the easiest and most hassle-free projectors available.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Unless your budget can reach above $2000, the w1070 will be the best looking projector you can find below that amount..the fact that it costs only slightly more than 1/3 as much is what makes it by far the best bang-for-buck in home-theater.

It also happens to have the best combination of shallow offset and somewhat shorter throw-distance which should be perfect for putting a big screen in that relatively small room.

It also doesn't hurt that the w1070 is both equipped with very accurate settings straight out of the box AND has proven to have a very consistently bright and long-lived lamp...all adding up to make it one of the easiest and most hassle-free projectors available.

Thanks for the responses. I have no issues paying more than $2000 for a projector. Especially seeing as my alternative was going to be a 70"+ LCDTV which would cost considerably more. Other options are welcome.

Many thanks.
Detox
Old 09-01-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 186
In that case, while most of the w1070's picture qualities are so good they can't be visibly beaten at any price (useable brightness, clarity and color-accuracy all have hard limits and the Benq gets impressively close to their end)..there's still contrast. The w1070 has the best contrast you'll find under $2000-2500, BUT beyond that barrier waits treasures like the jack-of-all-trades Sony hw40 (around $2000-2500), the slightly less accurate but darker dynamic blacks Epson 5030ub, and the absolute juggernaut of contrast/black-levels known largely as "whichever JVC you can afford" which tends to be around $3500+.

Keep in mind that in order to make good use if their improved contrast you'll need to have the room both dark AND light-controlled in the form of dark, flat-painted (or fabric-covered) walls/ceiling and a dark, non-reflective floor or dark area-rug near the screenwall.

If you can really dedicate the room to that extent, you might be better served sticking to the w1070 as much of the improvement beyond it would be wasted.
That said, darkening out a room isn't as hard as it may sound and it doesn't have to look ugly either. A basement room sounds like a good project.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-01-2014 at 03:03 PM.