Ceiling mount questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Ceiling mount questions

Given the attached image, where would yall mount the projector?

That ceiling fan couldn't be in a worse location!

I'm not really considering anything except the BenQ W1070 projector, it seems to be the favorite under $1,000.

Ideally I'd the like to put the screen on the wall closest to the front door (left wall) that way I can get a sectional sofa for the other side of the room.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That looks like a dining room area that is being converted to a TV room? If so, why not just take it out and put a close mount light in it's place? Then have the projector come right under that.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranked View Post
That looks like a dining room area that is being converted to a TV room? If so, why not just take it out and put a close mount light in it's place? Then have the projector come right under that.

Unfortunately it's the whole living room. It's actually bigger now that we removed a wall separating it and the kitchen. Where I'm standing and taking the picture is where we keep our kitchen table.

Being in south Mississippi I do not want to loose my living room ceiling fan.

Can the projector be mounted in such a way to throw under the fan?
Or can it be mounted on the far right wall, say on shelf above a couch?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 188
If changing the light isn't possible, shorten its pull-chain as much as possible and mount the w1070 so the lens-center is just below the lowest point of the lamp. The w1070's shallow offset makes it a good choice for this operation (as well as the best image in and above your budget). Decide your screen size and find how far back you can mount the projector to fit that size to keep it from being super close to the light.

The top of your screen will be perfect at 2ft-2.5ft away from the ceiling..this will actually give it the proper height according to your seated eye-height anyway.

Of course the best thing to do would be following the above advice to switch out the fan entirely. Either way, the screen-size, screen and projector height, and projector mounted height and distance will be the same, BUT it'll look less silly without the fan being right there.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Q: How far from the front:window wall is the fan mounted, & what's the blade diameter? You might get better air circulation in the enlarged room by shifting the fan a few feet towards the kitchen; could get it out of the desired light path for the projector.

A more comic alternative (sure to enrage a wife) is to hang a retractable screen from the ceiling ~36" in front of the left wall, park some low shelving below it to partition "entry/hall" from "living room" (& to hold your speakers & A/V gear). That would put a w1070 near the right wall (for a 100"..120" screen), and allow the front door to be used w/o obstructing (or damaging) the screen.

Last edited by scotthal; 08-31-2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-31-2014, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I know you have your heart set on a benq1070, and normally i would agree, but this is a situation where a projector with horizontal and vertical lens shifting comes in handy.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have you considered the Benq short throw on a coffee table?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDell View Post
Have you considered the Benq short throw on a coffee table?
We have small children, and my wife is very clumsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
I know you have your heart set on a benq1070, and normally i would agree, but this is a situation where a projector with horizontal and vertical lens shifting comes in handy.
You're right. I don't know a lot about projectors just that the BenQ is crazy popular and very affordable. Also, a projector is pretty much the only way my wife can have the living room furniture she wants. It's not a big room as you can see and she wants a sectional sofa with tables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
Q: How far from the front:window wall is the fan mounted, & what's the blade diameter? You might get better air circulation in the enlarged room by shifting the fan a few feet towards the kitchen; could get it out of the desired light path for the projector.

A more comic alternative (sure to enrage a wife) is to hang a retractable screen from the ceiling ~36" in front of the left wall, park some low shelving below it to partition "entry/hall" from "living room" (& to hold your speakers & A/V gear). That would put a w1070 near the right wall (for a 100"..120" screen), and allow the front door to be used w/o obstructing (or damaging) the screen.

The ceiling fan mount is about 68 inches away from the front window and has 5 inch blades. I honestly never thought about relocating the fan! More towards the kitchen on the other side of the AC vent wouldn't be too bad, thanks.

By hang a retractable screen you mean a typical pull down screen or something like this; http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=17948813
I had planed on either making a screen and attaching it to the wall or painting it. There's a thread around here from a fellow 'Missippian that seems popular. RsMaxxx or something...

But 36 inches away from the left most wall puts it in contact with the front door if opened. I guess I can't picture what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
If changing the light isn't possible, shorten its pull-chain as much as possible and mount the w1070 so the lens-center is just below the lowest point of the lamp. The w1070's shallow offset makes it a good choice for this operation (as well as the best image in and above your budget). Decide your screen size and find how far back you can mount the projector to fit that size to keep it from being super close to the light.

The top of your screen will be perfect at 2ft-2.5ft away from the ceiling..this will actually give it the proper height according to your seated eye-height anyway.

Of course the best thing to do would be following the above advice to switch out the fan entirely. Either way, the screen-size, screen and projector height, and projector mounted height and distance will be the same, BUT it'll look less silly without the fan being right there.
I could switch out the ceiling fan with one that does not have a light source on it. They are pretty flush to the ceiling. However, just moving it like scotthal said seems much easier.

Personally, I like the left wall for the screen but I'm worried since that's the front door that any screen I put there will suffer a lot of wear and tear from all the foot traffic. Maybe if it's a retractable screen like scotthal said but the good ones are over $300 and I'm trying to keep this to a minimum. I don't want to catch the fever, I have a boat for that!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

If the wall you'd like to use is relatively smooth, you could just paint it (or part of it) flat white. Regular cheap old interior latex and a cheapo brush roller (1/4" nap works well) and you're good to go for $20 and a couple minutes of rolling. Flat white is both a great screen as well as impressive for its ability to hide wall blemishes and bad paint-jobs. It's also both hard to damage (without denting the wall) and super cheap+easy to fix up if it does get damaged.

If you want it to look like a dedicated screen, just build a thin dark frame to put around it.

The maxxmud mix is a little trickier both in that all but one version needs to be sprayed (the lightest version can also be rolled) and it will show mistakes and surface blemishes. The good part is that it also requires you to have white flat paint and a primed surface beneath it, so you can simply buy a gallon of white (usually only $2-5 more than a quart) to use with the mix..if it turns out badly and you don't feel like trying again, simply paint over it with the flat-white. If it turns out good, you're only out the $2-5 you paid to have extra white paint..which might get used later for something else anyway.
The maxxmud has some ability to fight certain directions of ambient light which is one of its benefits. It should also help make a dim image somewhat brighter (particularly the rollable version I believe). Having not seen it in person, I can't say how much of either it can really change, but the mica in the mix means it'll have some extra reflective properties beyond plain flat paint.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-01-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 AM

Hmm. Leave the existing (left) wall for open for photos :: framed stuff (WAF pandering). Bolt a 100"..120" manual pull down screen (I'd suggest Elite E24 series, <$200) to the ceiling 48" in front :: parallel to the left wall. Hang the BenQ W1070 with an 18" ceiling mount, front of lens 16" from the right wall.

E24 (manual series only, darn it) puts the top_of_screen below yr fan. Suggested projector mount location gives you the requisite air circulation (the W1070 has a rear intake).
Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Alright let's get real here. You have a wife that wants furniture in the room. (I don't blame her for wanting a normal room) You want to keep the fan. (I don't blame you for wanting to stay cool) You can't ceiling mount the w1070 because of the fan. You can't mount the 1070 low or use the 1080st because the kids will get at it.
The only three practical solutions to this problem are to: 1.put a shelf on the rear wall high enough so it will be above your head when you're sitting down on the couch, and slightly off to side so it's not in line with the fan. Or: 2. Ceiling mount the projector behind the fan and off to the side. (For the sake of ventilation, i would suggest this as the better way to go) Or: 3. Get the benq1080st and put it on a small cart. You wheel the cart in when you want to use the projector, and wheel it back out of the way when you're finished. Just like it's done in school.
The first two of these solutions require you to do one thing. Forget about the offset projectors and get one with a lot of horizontal lens shift. It just makes more practical sense than trying to rearrange your entire room just to use a projector and piss off your wife in the process.
Also, do what Ftoast suggested and just paint the wall flat white. One of the best screens you can have, and for sure the cheapest.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I'd do the screen on the 122" wall. And mount the PJ either on the back wall or ceiling below the fan. And get a shorter fan. 18" is ridiculous! I mean, I'd smack my head if I walked into your living room!

I don't know about speakers though. The door being so close to that wall really limits you. In walls? Small-ish bookshelf speakers on the wall?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 AM
V_J

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I did not have the ceiling fan issue, and mounted my Epson EH-TW2900 on the ceiling. Remember that a general rule is the bottom of the projected image should be below the height of your eyes, if your projector does not have lens shift, this determines how high you have to hang/position it. It also sets the maximum height of the projected image, if you know the width you want it to be. It may well be that it would have to hang the projector quite low (check in the specs how it throws the image), in which case it is probably better to put it on a shelf in the back (as other suggested), or wallmount it (to avoid having a long ceiling mount or a shelf). If the lens does not have zoom, you cannot play with the image size, so make sure the image would not be too large or too small (should be in the specs, or on projectorcentral).

I got the EH-TW2900, as it was the cheapest full-hd projector that offers lens shift and zoom. As a result, it now hangs close to the ceiling, and projects the image shifted downward with almost the height an image (the center of the projected image is a almost full height of the image below the lens). The zoom allowed me to set the image size to match exactly what I wanted (as I wanted it on the back wall).
Old 09-03-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the extra tips and tricks yall!

Moving the ceiling fan closer to the kitchen.

I'm using this site to get measurements;
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

Admittedly I know little about projectors but if I mounted it on the right wall, the screen would be larger than my 122 inch wall. My guess is that this is where zoom would come in use.
Regarding the speakers, I'm going to mount small speakers at the top of the wall.
Not sure where to put the equipment yet.

We picked a sectional like I described. It'll consume the entire right wall and will go under the window as well. It's huge!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

With a 10ft+ wide screen-wall and a 15ft seating distance (unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like the sectional will be against the right and center walls?), you could easily consider going with a screen all the way up to a 135"diagonal. Even then, it'd still be a modest 1:1.5 screen:distance scenerio (like nearer to the back theater seats), a far cry from the occasional 1:1 or 1:1.2 monsters that take up your entire peripheral vision (like the theater's 3rd or 4th row near front).

If the sectional will be a few feet forward and away from the rear wall you can totally ignore this.

It is very typical for projectors to need to have the lens roughly 1ft back for every 10" of screen diagonal. For example, a 110" screen would usually need the lens about 11ft away, a 135" screen about 13.5ft away and so on.. because most projectors are 1-2ft long and have a cord or two coming out the rear, you'll want to add about 1.5ft to that throw-distance to see if your room is even long enough for a certain size. So a 15ft long room will likely be limited to a 135" screen unless the selected projector has an abnormally short throw.

Most projectors under $2000 will follow the 10" per foot rule and then have a bit of zoom available that allows them to fill the same screen from a little farther back (makes the screen smaller if projector holds still). The w1070 is somewhat odd in that it follows the 10" per foot rule at the long end of its zoom, meaning it can also make that screen-size a little closer or make a larger screen holding still.
The Epson 8345/8350 along with most theater models over $2000 have more zoom range so they can be mounted very far back and still make a small screen if desired.

There are models that naturally have a longer throw as well, but many don't often get recommended due to poorer price/performance factors that are unrelated. I suppose it kind of simplifies things nicely.

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-03-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:29 PM

Looks like you have a solution - only gotcha being the limited lens shift on the W1070. You'll need to hang the projector so that the center of lens is 15"..21" from the ceiling.

Enjoy!

Gear in this thread