Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-31-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My first projector, Help!

Hey guys could really appreciate your expertise,

I've been obsessed with getting a projector for the longest time and now I'm finally going to bite the bullet. I really want to get some feedback on projector placement, screen size and audio ideas - My goal is to have an ideal 1080p viewing/gaming experience for 2 people. I'm sure everyone is going to say my room and budget are not large enough but here we go, I appreciate your input no matter what.

My budget for a projector is under $1000, ideally under $800. My room is 11 x 14.5 feet nothing is going in there but the projector and a loveseat, I've been leaning towards a screen size around 98" on the 11 foot wall but truthfully I'm not sure what the best setup/screensize would be, especially since I prioritize being able to play competitive videogames and I'm afraid of being too close to too large of a screen. I've narrowed it down to two options based on some research but I'm very open to suggestions:

- BenQ W1070 is my first choice ($700 on amazon) mainly because of the high visual rating for the price and the 24 ms frame delay for gaming. Although I am also a sucker for 3D capability as a perk. I'm ready to buy this projector tomorrow, I just want some feedback about screensize and where to place it in my room or if the room is literally too small.

The other option is ONLY on the list because BestBuy was out of stock of the BenQ W1070 so they offered me an Epson Powerlite 8350 for $600. The main appeal of the projector (besides the price cut) that I've seen is the lens shift/zoom (which appeals to me because of my room size) - but I've read a large amount of reviews that concern me about the rig running hot causing the bulb's lifespan to be under 1000 hours.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-31-2014, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
As an owner of an 8350, I'll tell you right now, get the Benq1070. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with my projector. But for what you want a projector for, the Benq will do a better job. 700 bucks on Amazon prime. A no brainer. Project on your bare wall to decide what screen size works for you.
Ftoast likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-31-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 135
If you absolutely needed the lens-shift or needed an LCD, the 8345/8350 would be the one to get (it's far and away the best LCD under $2000), BUT you don't need the extended shift or zoom and the w1070 is both a great movie choice as well as a better gaming choice than any LCD. While the 8345/8350 is the best LCD under $2000 (and closest tie to the Benq) the w1070 is the best projector under $2000 with the highest measured contrast, sharpness, accurate colors, and the least amount of image artifacts and problems you'll find anywhere near its price.

It fits your space well (the Epson's zoom is better for longer/bigger rooms and smaller screens), games fantastically and comes in under budget for a projector that only gets beat by those costing nearly 3X as much.

Count me as a second voice recommending the w1070.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq w1070 , first home theatre , Gaming , small room
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page