BenQ w1070 - Dust Spots inside lens fix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BenQ w1070 - Dust Spots inside lens fix?

Have a BenQ w1070 for about 8 months (my first projector)

MFG DATE - September 2013 rev 01-105

Lately it is showing signs of dust/particle specs on black screen that won't fix with normal lens cleaning. I've search Google and these forums for a fix, but I haven't found a positive response to fixing this issues without just returning the product and getting a replacement. It looks like a couple of AVS forum members attempted to fix the problem which either didn't work or resulted in having to replace the unit do to breaking it in the process.

This unit is still under warranty, but if it is something I can *easily* repair then I'd like to fix it myself rather than messing with returning the unit.

Anyone successfully fix this problem in BenQ w1070 or know if this could be just particles on the lamp itself?

here are some pics.

1st set is without my ND filter on

Click image for larger version

Name:	benq_w1070_dust_2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	240570

Name:	benq_w1070_dust_1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	240546

2nd set is with my ND filter on (not as noticeable in low rez pics but is there)

Name:	benq_w1070_dust_nd_1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	240562

Name:	benq_w1070_dust_nd_2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	240554

and just normal viewing 1080i cable tv with nd filter (all blury camera pics)

Name:	benq_w1070_badnews.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	240626

Last edited by kwhy; 09-01-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: grammerz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhy View Post
Have a BenQ w1070 for about 8 months (my first projector)

MFG DATE - September 2013 rev 01-105

Lately it is showing signs of dust/particle specs on black screen that won't fix with normal lens cleaning. I've search Google and these forums for a fix, but I haven't found a positive response to fixing this issues without just returning the product and getting a replacement. It looks like a couple of AVS forum members attempted to fix the problem which either didn't work or resulted in having to replace the unit do to breaking it in the process.

This unit is still under warranty, but if it is something I can *easily* repair then I'd like to fix it myself rather than messing with returning the unit.

Anyone successfully fix this problem in BenQ w1070 or know if this could be just particles on the lamp itself?

here are some pics.

1st set is without my ND filter on

Attachment 240570

Attachment 240546

2nd set is with my ND filter on (not as noticeable in low rez pics but is there)

Attachment 240562

Attachment 240554

and just normal viewing 1080i cable tv with nd filter (all blury camera pics)

Attachment 240626
I am having this same issue. Anybody know anything that can help it would be greatly appreciated.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNOOOOOB View Post
I am having this same issue. Anybody know anything that can help it would be greatly appreciated.
I contacted BenQ and they are having me send in the unit for replacement parts to fix this problem. I just filled out the forms. Sounded like the earlier models had problems with the seal which is hopefully fixed.

don't know what I'm going to do while my projector is away....hate to go back to watching movies on my 46" LCD
post #4 of 8 Old 09-11-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had similar problem, fixed it with blowing trough lamp untill those dust spots where gone. close to 3300hours and yet no spots!
post #5 of 8 Old 09-11-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
BenQ w1070 - Dust Spots inside lens fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbot View Post
I had similar problem, fixed it with blowing trough lamp untill those dust spots where gone. close to 3300hours and yet no spots!

Where exactly were you blowing into? Did you take the lamp housing out and just blow around the housing? What were you blowing with (an air bulb or the like?)

Blowing air into the projector itself is a risky move... So I'm sure that's not what you mean

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #6 of 8 Old 09-11-2014, 10:44 AM

Well, prolly thats why i did succeed as i didnt know that i can perma damage it by doing so. But i did blow just in a space around lamp(while it was working) I have it upside down on my ceiling and did blow in right side....if that changes anything, but i did remove all 4 dust grains and a cat hair.

So i just did few hard blows untill all was gone from the lense.

Did a huge mistake putting it close to a cat sleeping spot, so had to place it less dusty place but still it sucks in all dust like a darn PC

ANd sorry about my english, prolly some words will sound wierd as i use ones i thing should sound like i mean

PS: I think it shouldnt be that bad if you wacuum from out side and then keep wacuum on pressed to the PJs side where air comes in(one closer to lamp) But then again, maby it was a pretty dumb luck for me as i really dont know whats in the belly of the beast and how it works mechanically...

Last edited by quickbot; 09-11-2014 at 10:52 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbot View Post
Well, prolly thats why i did succeed as i didnt know that i can perma damage it by doing so. But i did blow just in a space around lamp(while it was working) I have it upside down on my ceiling and did blow in right side....if that changes anything, but i did remove all 4 dust grains and a cat hair.

So i just did few hard blows untill all was gone from the lense.

Did a huge mistake putting it close to a cat sleeping spot, so had to place it less dusty place but still it sucks in all dust like a darn PC

ANd sorry about my english, prolly some words will sound wierd as i use ones i thing should sound like i mean

PS: I think it shouldnt be that bad if you wacuum from out side and then keep wacuum on pressed to the PJs side where air comes in(one closer to lamp) But then again, maby it was a pretty dumb luck for me as i really dont know whats in the belly of the beast and how it works mechanically...

Technically, that runs a risk of pushing dust into the optical block - which doesn't have a 'pass-through' of air since it's more-or-less sealed. If that happens, no amount of further blowing would get any dust that lands there out! I guess you're right: you might've lucked out there a bit! (Glad it worked out!)

There's a possibility, then, that the dust in your case was just around the lamp assembly and the airflow you added dislodged it. In that case, turning on High Altitude mode might have had a similar result (at less risk!); as would removing the lamp housing and cleaning it outside the projector.

On the subject, there's a nice tear-down of the unit by EugF, the gallery is here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11808...30455648942289

A bit more detail in the post here:
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

He cleaned out his dust issue by disassembling the unit and using camera-type cleaning equipment to clean the optics. Reported it as being relatively simple.

Of course if in warranty (and maybe even out of warranty), it still makes sense to first give BenQ themselves a shout if this happens: while my personal experiences with their support weren't great, I appear to be in the minority since most other reports are more positive.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8 of 8 Old 09-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Only question that i have is, does all lamps look dirty/grainy from outside? Ive cleaned mine with lens cleaning cloth, but it looks like that its grainy from inside of the bulb....is that ok? as far as i see, it doesnt cause any problems to quality of image tho.

About warranty, its very complicated in Latvia, as we are very small country and rarely have any support here, so most of the time sellers dont make much trouble sending it to the manufacturer, but keep to them selves(with some local technician thats not always a professional) it takes atleast 1-2month, and when item returned, its same damaged or fixed, but something else is damaged. So its kinda hard to trus warranty out here.

Thats why i always take a risc on my own and try to do it by my self with proper info from forums like this one....atleast(if it even brakes) i wont need to go throug all that offending warranty where always need to explain almost every days steps of that item, to prove that it wasnt your fault Welcome to Latvia ^^

But thank you for great info, ill need that, cos not sure how long till my lamp runs out on eco mode. So will need some info about changing it + dusting it out when i change lap.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page