BenQ w1070 - Dust Spots inside lens fix? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tomtastic

post #1 of 26 Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BenQ w1070 - Dust Spots inside lens fix?

Have a BenQ w1070 for about 8 months (my first projector)

MFG DATE - September 2013 rev 01-105

Lately it is showing signs of dust/particle specs on black screen that won't fix with normal lens cleaning. I've search Google and these forums for a fix, but I haven't found a positive response to fixing this issues without just returning the product and getting a replacement. It looks like a couple of AVS forum members attempted to fix the problem which either didn't work or resulted in having to replace the unit do to breaking it in the process.

This unit is still under warranty, but if it is something I can *easily* repair then I'd like to fix it myself rather than messing with returning the unit.

Anyone successfully fix this problem in BenQ w1070 or know if this could be just particles on the lamp itself?

here are some pics.

1st set is without my ND filter on

Click image for larger version

Name:	benq_w1070_dust_2.jpg
Views:	3454
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	240570

Name:	benq_w1070_dust_1.jpg
Views:	2945
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	240546

2nd set is with my ND filter on (not as noticeable in low rez pics but is there)

Name:	benq_w1070_dust_nd_1.jpg
Views:	1966
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	240562

Name:	benq_w1070_dust_nd_2.jpg
Views:	1671
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	240554

and just normal viewing 1080i cable tv with nd filter (all blury camera pics)

Name:	benq_w1070_badnews.jpg
Views:	2735
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	240626

Last edited by kwhy; 09-01-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: grammerz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-09-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhy View Post
Have a BenQ w1070 for about 8 months (my first projector)

MFG DATE - September 2013 rev 01-105

Lately it is showing signs of dust/particle specs on black screen that won't fix with normal lens cleaning. I've search Google and these forums for a fix, but I haven't found a positive response to fixing this issues without just returning the product and getting a replacement. It looks like a couple of AVS forum members attempted to fix the problem which either didn't work or resulted in having to replace the unit do to breaking it in the process.

This unit is still under warranty, but if it is something I can *easily* repair then I'd like to fix it myself rather than messing with returning the unit.

Anyone successfully fix this problem in BenQ w1070 or know if this could be just particles on the lamp itself?

here are some pics.

1st set is without my ND filter on

Attachment 240570

Attachment 240546

2nd set is with my ND filter on (not as noticeable in low rez pics but is there)

Attachment 240562

Attachment 240554

and just normal viewing 1080i cable tv with nd filter (all blury camera pics)

Attachment 240626
I am having this same issue. Anybody know anything that can help it would be greatly appreciated.
post #3 of 26 Old 09-10-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNOOOOOB View Post
I am having this same issue. Anybody know anything that can help it would be greatly appreciated.
I contacted BenQ and they are having me send in the unit for replacement parts to fix this problem. I just filled out the forms. Sounded like the earlier models had problems with the seal which is hopefully fixed.

don't know what I'm going to do while my projector is away....hate to go back to watching movies on my 46" LCD

post #4 of 26 Old 09-11-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had similar problem, fixed it with blowing trough lamp untill those dust spots where gone. close to 3300hours and yet no spots!
post #5 of 26 Old 09-11-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 387
BenQ w1070 - Dust Spots inside lens fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbot View Post
I had similar problem, fixed it with blowing trough lamp untill those dust spots where gone. close to 3300hours and yet no spots!

Where exactly were you blowing into? Did you take the lamp housing out and just blow around the housing? What were you blowing with (an air bulb or the like?)

Blowing air into the projector itself is a risky move... So I'm sure that's not what you mean

BenQ HT2050 Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #6 of 26 Old 09-11-2014, 10:44 AM

Well, prolly thats why i did succeed as i didnt know that i can perma damage it by doing so. But i did blow just in a space around lamp(while it was working) I have it upside down on my ceiling and did blow in right side....if that changes anything, but i did remove all 4 dust grains and a cat hair.

So i just did few hard blows untill all was gone from the lense.

Did a huge mistake putting it close to a cat sleeping spot, so had to place it less dusty place but still it sucks in all dust like a darn PC

ANd sorry about my english, prolly some words will sound wierd as i use ones i thing should sound like i mean

PS: I think it shouldnt be that bad if you wacuum from out side and then keep wacuum on pressed to the PJs side where air comes in(one closer to lamp) But then again, maby it was a pretty dumb luck for me as i really dont know whats in the belly of the beast and how it works mechanically...

Last edited by quickbot; 09-11-2014 at 10:52 AM.
post #7 of 26 Old 09-11-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbot View Post
Well, prolly thats why i did succeed as i didnt know that i can perma damage it by doing so. But i did blow just in a space around lamp(while it was working) I have it upside down on my ceiling and did blow in right side....if that changes anything, but i did remove all 4 dust grains and a cat hair.

So i just did few hard blows untill all was gone from the lense.

Did a huge mistake putting it close to a cat sleeping spot, so had to place it less dusty place but still it sucks in all dust like a darn PC

ANd sorry about my english, prolly some words will sound wierd as i use ones i thing should sound like i mean

PS: I think it shouldnt be that bad if you wacuum from out side and then keep wacuum on pressed to the PJs side where air comes in(one closer to lamp) But then again, maby it was a pretty dumb luck for me as i really dont know whats in the belly of the beast and how it works mechanically...

Technically, that runs a risk of pushing dust into the optical block - which doesn't have a 'pass-through' of air since it's more-or-less sealed. If that happens, no amount of further blowing would get any dust that lands there out! I guess you're right: you might've lucked out there a bit! (Glad it worked out!)

There's a possibility, then, that the dust in your case was just around the lamp assembly and the airflow you added dislodged it. In that case, turning on High Altitude mode might have had a similar result (at less risk!); as would removing the lamp housing and cleaning it outside the projector.

On the subject, there's a nice tear-down of the unit by EugF, the gallery is here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11808...30455648942289

A bit more detail in the post here:
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

He cleaned out his dust issue by disassembling the unit and using camera-type cleaning equipment to clean the optics. Reported it as being relatively simple.

Of course if in warranty (and maybe even out of warranty), it still makes sense to first give BenQ themselves a shout if this happens: while my personal experiences with their support weren't great, I appear to be in the minority since most other reports are more positive.

BenQ HT2050 Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8 of 26 Old 09-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Only question that i have is, does all lamps look dirty/grainy from outside? Ive cleaned mine with lens cleaning cloth, but it looks like that its grainy from inside of the bulb....is that ok? as far as i see, it doesnt cause any problems to quality of image tho.

About warranty, its very complicated in Latvia, as we are very small country and rarely have any support here, so most of the time sellers dont make much trouble sending it to the manufacturer, but keep to them selves(with some local technician thats not always a professional) it takes atleast 1-2month, and when item returned, its same damaged or fixed, but something else is damaged. So its kinda hard to trus warranty out here.

Thats why i always take a risc on my own and try to do it by my self with proper info from forums like this one....atleast(if it even brakes) i wont need to go throug all that offending warranty where always need to explain almost every days steps of that item, to prove that it wasnt your fault Welcome to Latvia ^^

But thank you for great info, ill need that, cos not sure how long till my lamp runs out on eco mode. So will need some info about changing it + dusting it out when i change lap.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-20-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Ok, so finally I found out that my problem was dust so that brought me here. So did you guys send yours in for cleaning? I've got one large blob. I shined a light through, so it wasn't as bright as looking through the real bulb, and I found that it was dust, I can see some small hair and stuff. Will they fix it so that it doesn't suck this in again? Mine is over a year old, out of warranty I'm sure.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-25-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, nevermind. Out of warranty so I'd have to pay to get it fixed. Decided to tear it down and clean it myself. Took about 2 hours. Not bad. And it's fixed! Had a large blob near the middle so that's gone and a lot of speckles, still a few little specs, can only see when holding a white piece of paper up in front of lens. I think I'll just tear it down once a year and clean it. No big deal. Next time I might do a video of the process unless there's already another.

post #11 of 26 Old 08-31-2016, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad you were able to resolve it yourself. I had this issue myself after a dumb decision to use a can of air and 'dust' the projector - it blew a lot of dust into the lamp assembly. I was able to clean it out pretty easily by using bursts of the can of air AND running my vacuum hose into a straw (just wrapped my hand around the hose/straw to make a crappy but functional seal). I placed both the straw for the vacuum and the straw for the canned air into the lens assembly and it cleaned it all out.

I wish I'd taken some pics or made a video.. but my W1070 is still going strong with nearly 5k hours of use over 3.5 years. Thanks BenQ!
post #12 of 26 Old 09-04-2016, 12:01 PM

Liked: 0
signed up on this forum for the same problem. mine is ht2050 and just 39 hours used. searched numerous forums. some suggest it is a DLP chip damage. how can one distinguish between dust or DLP chip damage? sorry for being newbie. its my first projector. can please some one make a video of cleaning the lens from inside? thank you for being patient.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-04-2016, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht2050 View Post
signed up on this forum for the same problem. mine is ht2050 and just 39 hours used. searched numerous forums. some suggest it is a DLP chip damage. how can one distinguish between dust or DLP chip damage? sorry for being newbie. its my first projector. can please some one make a video of cleaning the lens from inside? thank you for being patient.
If it's only 39 hrs is it still under warranty? I would contact Benq support first if it is. No reason to worry about it yourself if it's on their dime.

Just my opinion, but 39 hours seems really early to get dust spots, might be something else. Something quick and easy you can do before you get inside it, if you have a completely dark, black screen are there hundreds of tiny spots all over screen? Any larger blobs? Take a white piece of 8.5 x 11 paper and stick it in front of lens about 2 feet away and see how bad it is, this will show up any dust spots however small they are (and potentially any damage to the lens, housing or chip).
ht2050 likes this.

post #14 of 26 Old 10-13-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
If it's only 39 hrs is it still under warranty? I would contact Benq support first if it is. No reason to worry about it yourself if it's on their dime.

Just my opinion, but 39 hours seems really early to get dust spots, might be something else. Something quick and easy you can do before you get inside it, if you have a completely dark, black screen are there hundreds of tiny spots all over screen? Any larger blobs? Take a white piece of 8.5 x 11 paper and stick it in front of lens about 2 feet away and see how bad it is, this will show up any dust spots however small they are (and potentially any damage to the lens, housing or chip).
since i got it imported in my country and do not have any kind of support of Benq here in Pakistan.i did drop a couple of mails to Benq support but no reply from their side either.those white spots only appear only in complete dark screen and only when i try to focus the lens on them as it is visible in the picture. yes they appear on white paper when it held it about a feet away from the lens as it appear in the other picture. their number is pretty much the same from the time they appeared first. i am sort of out of options here so help me out guys. although they are not visible on image that has even very little of bright object but still it bothers when you know something is not right
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	1816
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1714281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Views:	1860
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	1714289  
post #15 of 26 Old 10-13-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How big is that bright spot? It's going to need to be broken down and cleaned. It could have damage, only way to know is to get it apart and see. All those small specks are dust. The larger one could be a larger piece of lent or hair or it could be damage, hopefully it's just dirt. There's curved mirrors inside the lens housing and the DLP chip is at the back. The chip could be dirty too. All of that needs cleaned. The color wheel should be removed and cleaned too.

Did it arrive this way? I wouldn't think it would matter what country you live in, they should have worldwide support. I would make them responsible for it, if it were me. You didn't have that many hours on it.

post #16 of 26 Old 10-14-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Ok, nevermind. Out of warranty so I'd have to pay to get it fixed. Decided to tear it down and clean it myself. Took about 2 hours. Not bad. And it's fixed! Had a large blob near the middle so that's gone and a lot of speckles, still a few little specs, can only see when holding a white piece of paper up in front of lens. I think I'll just tear it down once a year and clean it. No big deal. Next time I might do a video of the process unless there's already another.
Please tell us what you were cleaning? When I look into the lens, I see a rectangular window in which the very dust.
post #17 of 26 Old 10-14-2016, 01:21 AM

Correctly understand that the dust on the glass, which is circled in green circle on the photo?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	InFocus_LP425z_Single_Chip_DLP_-_DMD_Light_Path.jpg
Views:	2152
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1715225  
post #18 of 26 Old 10-14-2016, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Most of the dust is on the mirrors. I also cleaned the DLP chip very carefully and the back of the lens. The 1070 lens is a little different than that lens in your photo. You can clean the mirrors without taking the lens housing apart.

post #19 of 26 Old 10-14-2016, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the info. Photo was taken from Google for an example. I have a Acer H6510BD, the same principle.
post #20 of 26 Old 10-15-2016, 11:36 PM

Dust was on the chip, and successfully removed!
post #21 of 26 Old 10-20-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
How big is that bright spot? It's going to need to be broken down and cleaned. It could have damage, only way to know is to get it apart and see. All those small specks are dust. The larger one could be a larger piece of lent or hair or it could be damage, hopefully it's just dirt. There's curved mirrors inside the lens housing and the DLP chip is at the back. The chip could be dirty too. All of that needs cleaned. The color wheel should be removed and cleaned too.

Did it arrive this way? I wouldn't think it would matter what country you live in, they should have worldwide support. I would make them responsible for it, if it were me. You didn't have that many hours on it.
you have been so generous with your time and attention. i have been mailing benq support but alas to no avail. finally i have contacted some technical services for projectors and decided to get it fixed on my pocket. No it didnt come with those spots they just appeared after usage of about a month i think. you been so helpful during this thank you once again
post #22 of 26 Old 12-14-2016, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
We bought ours (a 1070+) in August 2015. We quickly noticed some strange light "spots" in the image, but since at the time it did not affect the viewing pleasure that much we wrote it off as something else.
Then, over the winter we completey rearranged our home theater and didn't use the projector for about a month. The projector was relocated and since we now had a much bigger screen we had to recalibrate/refocus it and that's when we saw it, fiddling around with the zoom and focus: dust all over the lens. We lived with it for a few months but by August 2016 it was so bad that when in focus it looked exactly like looking up in the sky on a starry night, and it was very noticable in light and dark scenes.

We had it fixed by BenQ (took a friggin' month!) and it came back free of dust, and - according to Benq - "sealed" so it couldn't happen again. Yeah right ... less than two months later we began to see dust again and now four months later it's almost as bad as it was before repair.

I guess we will give BenQ one more chance to fix this, but have to admit I'm deeply dissapointed in the quality of the 1070+ lens engine sealing!

Benq W2000 (HT3050) // 130" DIY screen // Pioneer VSX-AX2AV (7.1) // Infinity Beta 50/C360/ES250/Mission 737R/Dynavoice Thunder T-12 // Samsung BD-J7500 // PS3
post #23 of 26 Old 08-16-2017, 05:39 AM

Hi guys,

I recently had my lens explode at 4550 hours.

After replacing the bulb (bare bulb replacement), I have noticed lots of dust spots on the screen. De-focusing clearly shows them, and there are A LOT!

I probably caused this myself by deciding to "clean" the projector with compressed air at the same time as replacing the bulb. I have seen since that this is really not recommended I think I have blown dust/lint into the optical path somewhere.

I have taken a look at the Service Manual Level 2, but I'm not 100% clear how far I need to dismantle to get at the optics.

Did any of you guys ever make a video or take some pictures about exactly how to take it apart to clean the mirrors and DMD? I want to take it apart as little as possible really so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullScreen_Defocussed.jpg (1.82 MB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg CloseUp_Centre.jpg (1.91 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg CloseUp_TopRight.jpg (1.87 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg FullScreen_Focussed.jpg (1.74 MB, 23 views)
post #24 of 26 Old 08-16-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by nindim View Post
Hi guys,

I recently had my lens explode at 4550 hours.

After replacing the bulb (bare bulb replacement), I have noticed lots of dust spots on the screen. De-focusing clearly shows them, and there are A LOT!

I probably caused this myself by deciding to "clean" the projector with compressed air at the same time as replacing the bulb. I have seen since that this is really not recommended I think I have blown dust/lint into the optical path somewhere.

I have taken a look at the Service Manual Level 2, but I'm not 100% clear how far I need to dismantle to get at the optics.

Did any of you guys ever make a video or take some pictures about exactly how to take it apart to clean the mirrors and DMD? I want to take it apart as little as possible really so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
have not taken apart a benq but can tall you dust must be on the back of the lens, Prism in front of the DMD or between the DMD and prism (not likely as they should be in contact with each other.)
The fact the can be brought in focus tell me the are probably on the back of the lens of the front of the prism.
Good luck!

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #25 of 26 Old 08-16-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
have not taken apart a benq but can tall you dust must be on the back of the lens, Prism in front of the DMD or between the DMD and prism (not likely as they should be in contact with each other.)
The fact the can be brought in focus tell me the are probably on the back of the lens of the front of the prism.
Good luck!
Thanksa lot for the quick reply, the fact that you are confident of where the dust should be is encouraging.

Do all DLP projectors have a prism? I havent; seen any mention to a prism in the BenQ W1070 online or in the service manual.

It looks like I need to disassemble is quite far in order to get access to the heatsink looking cover which the DMD chip sits underneath. Not quite sure how to get access to the back of the lens though.

When you say the back of the lens, do you literally mean the backside of the lens that I can put the cap on on the outside of the projector? Or is there usually another lens at the back of the Optical engine that sits between the DMD and the front lens?

Thanks a lot!
post #26 of 26 Old 08-16-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 307
a lens is made up of multiple pieces .. most rear part where the light leaves the DMD
This is nothing like yours but here are some photos of the planar
Planar Light Engine Disassembled
And yes I think the prism is required for DLP to work.. light comes in to it on the end and is refracted on to the DMD and back out through it to the lens. So for the lens to focus on the dust, the dust must be withing the lens optical area. It is designed to focus on the DMD so the dust most be very close to the DMD..face of prism or back side of the lens assembly.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page