Projector for normal TV watching - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By steve1106
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green

post #1 of 17 Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector for normal TV watching

I am wondering if I am better off getting a 65inch TV for every day TV viewing (TV shows, news, weather, sports & occasional gaming) or would a projector work fine for that. I know a projector is great for movie watching, but what about other uses??

I don't think I would like watching regular TV with the lights always off. Is a projector overkill for normal viewing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-09-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In July I installed an Epson 5030 and 120" Elite Cinegrey 5D screen in my living room here in Phoenix with lots of ambient light during the day.

I had originally thought of upgrading from a Sony 52" to a Sharp 80" and then decided to learn about projectors.

So glad I did and am very happy with the set-up.

I watch TV during the afternoon and evening and it is great.

Go for it!
post #3 of 17 Old 09-09-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
You take a big hit on image quality if you don't have the screen in a pretty dark place. With lots of windows or lights on, projector quality doesn't touch flat panel quality, so you have to decide if you can live with that image quality loss. You certainly are asking in the wrong place, I think, if you want really objective answers. Most people swear by projectors, and live with any loss in quality for the much larger screen size, and are happy to do so. But, it's not for everyone and is a personal decision.

I love my projection setup, and I do view from time-to-time with the lights on. Here's an example of what you might expect:
http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

You can get good to excellent results depending on how much you are able to control ambient lighting near the screen area.

Uncontrollable daylight coming in on the screen will render the entire situation pointless from what I've seen. So, you will always need some level of light control for acceptable results.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fortunately our room is free from day light. I think I enjoy image quality over screen size. I am beginning to think that a projector may not be for me as an everyday television source. I am leaning toward a 4K 65inch set from samsung or sony with all the bells and whistles. Originally, I was leaning toward the sony hw40es projector but really started second guessing myself. Who knows, my mind will probably change in 15 minutes...
post #5 of 17 Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
I happened to be at a big box store today. I stood 3 feet away from a 4K 65" screen and was absolutely mesmerized. It was being fed 4K material, and from 3 feet away it was the most spectacular image I've ever seen in my life. Then I paced back to 10 feet away, where my home seating is located from my current 1080P plasma and projection screen. From 10 feet away I could barely see a difference between the 4K screen and a nearby 1080P screen at the store. If you decide to go flat screen over projector, be sure you try this before paying a huge premium for a 4K screen, especially when there's so little 4K material currently available. My personal philosophy is to invest in what makes an obvious visual difference at my normal viewing distance.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-09-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 389

Why not go with both. Projectors such as the BenQ 1070 are fairly inexpensive. The shot above is in my family room with a $350 projector (with a Blu-ray scaled image) verses a 70 inch TV (with a 16:9 cable image). We watched Under the Dome and Winter Soldier this evening with a 169 inch image using a cheap 1080p projector.

If we had watched the Winter Soldier on the TV, it would have been extremely small on the 70 inch with several inches gone from the top and bottom. Imagine the image above on the TV and how small it would be.

Before the pj, I was trying to justify the $3,000 or $4,000 thousand (at the time) for a 80 inch TV, but I was afraid that after a few months I would be kicking myself for not spending the $9000 for a 90 inch. Within minutes of getting a cheap impulse buy pj and shining it on the family room wall we were hooked.

Image quality verses size? When I or the wife or the kids have people over, the first thing they comment on is the TV in the family room. Then we show them the cheap setup in the basement and they never mention the TV again.

I am not sure we could take a clearer 4k image, since all we do is comment on a actor's nose and/or ear hairs now.
greg1292 likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-10-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I got my BenQ W1070 in mid-late May and we started out using the projector only at night and with movies only while continuing to use our 42" TV for everything else. Then, as time went by we started using the projector more and the TV less. We ended up getting curtains to block the windows close enough to put ambient light on the screen itself (we project directly on one of our walls).

We used the TV Monday because we reorganized the living room to have some people over and that involved moving a couch in front of the wall we project on...but other than that we haven't used the TV since July.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-11-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 215
The elephant in the room being cost of replacement bulbs ...

And whether or not a regular TV show would be considered "bulb-worthy."
post #9 of 17 Old 09-11-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you look at the bulb cost as the cost of enjoying a nice, big picture to watch everything on, it's well worth it.

post #10 of 17 Old 09-11-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Simple, rounded-off math: $300 lamp / 3,000 hours = 10 cents per hour

It gets even better with a popular pj like the BenQ W1070. Some have reported getting 6,000 or more hours on an OEM lamp that can be purchased from a reputable dealer for just over $200. So it's not unreasonable to expect a typical lamp cost of less than 5 cents per hour.

Some people choke over the cost of an OEM replacement lamp because they focus on taking the financial hit all at once. The workaround is to just drop a nickel in a piggy bank after every hour of pj use.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 307
My only issue with using a PJ for normal viewing is the time span. Sometimes I turn on the news for just 5 or 10 minutes. Or turn on the TV, and then decide to go do something else because even with 10,000 channels, the programming is all garbage.

And I don't like firing up the PJ for much less than an hour.

But yeah . . . if you know you're going to be in for a while, size matters
post #12 of 17 Old 09-11-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight planner View Post
If you look at the bulb cost as the cost of enjoying a nice, big picture to watch everything on, it's well worth it.

Sure ... I'm just suggesting that there are some projectors that have relatively low cost consumables as opposed to those that aren't quite so low cost ...

But yeah ... when you compare bulb costs to programming costs one can certainly convince oneself that bulb cost is *almost* a non-issue.

I'm only a week or so into PJ ownership and I'm already reconsidering my original plan to use a tab-tension screen to drop in front of a flat-panel. Humm ... perhaps a nice fixed frame instead ....
post #13 of 17 Old 09-11-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 389
You know it is funny, but I have no problem turning on my Epson HC2000 for short periods. I figure if the lamp goes it is $100 to replace it and if the pj goes, it is time to get a new one. Five minutes to take it down and 15 minutes to put it up.

Now it bugs the heck out of me when my wife turns on the Sharp 70 inch right before we are heading out, or going walking or going downstairs to watch the PJ. Because I know that when the darn thing dies it is going to be a pain in the butt to get rid of and after three years of ownership, fixing it isn't an option.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-11-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
You know it is funny, but I have no problem turning on my Epson HC2000 for short periods. I figure if the lamp goes it is $100 to replace it and if the pj goes, it is time to get a new one. Five minutes to take it down and 15 minutes to put it up.

Now it bugs the heck out of me when my wife turns on the Sharp 70 inch right before we are heading out, or going walking or going downstairs to watch the PJ. Because I know that when the darn thing dies it is going to be a pain in the butt to get rid of and after three years of ownership, fixing it isn't an option.
That's a good point about it being relatively easy to just replace the lamp in the projector while that's not really an option with flat screens.

My only worry is that since my projector (BenQ W1070) has been out for a while that the BenQ W1070 will be discontinued by the time I need a new bulb and that the bulbs will be harder or at least more expensive to obtain. Is this the case or will we likely not have trouble getting replacement bulbs even after the projector has been discontinued?
post #15 of 17 Old 09-13-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can look at one of the reliable OEM lamp vendor websites and see that they have lamps available for projectors that have been out of production for many years. With all the W1070s sold, I wouldn't be surprised to see replacement lamps available for at least the next 10 years.
ben38 likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-13-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 708
The new w1070+ uses the same lamp..so you're good on that front.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #17 of 17 Old 09-13-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The new w1070+ uses the same lamp..so you're good on that front.
And nobody is stopping you from buying one or two spares -- testing them right away, which is important -- and then putting them away for the future. You should have a spare on hand anyway, especially for a projector you rely on every day like a TV.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page