Pondering HD50 or W1300, overscan question! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-16-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Pondering HD50 or W1300, overscan question!

Ok,

Its between the HD50 and W1300 (basically a W1070 with lens shift - EU model) as a replacement for my HD65 but I have a conundrum...

I want the W1300, its a few hundred cheaper as its end of line now, but! It does not have edge masking function like the Optomas do, which I need as my other half likes to watch some movies filling the screen height. With my old HD65 I would zoom (as much as limitedly possible) and edge mask the ends.

So my question is really how deleterious to image is overscanning? If its pretty low i can live with that on occasion.

Best,

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 253
First-off: I find your current technique for CIH to be very cool.

And it's a pity that a feature that's so fundamentally simple isn't implemented on the BenQ; I'm guessing most people don't think to use this technique.

Onto your question: I don't think the overscan feature will give you enough range to do what you're after (it only has 3 steps on the W1070; I'm sure the W1300 is the same); but Digital Zoom should be sufficient (much more range).

But I have a feeling that the simplest solution in your case (ie, replacing manual changes to zoom with a digital equivalent to achieve CIH at the expense of cropping) will actually be just to use the projector's built-in 'Aspect Ratio' function to select Letter-Box, which does the zoom/crop automatically with one button.
And while there's definitely a hit on quality in losing the 1:1 mapping, I've found that I don't notice all that much resolution loss as long as the source quality is high-bitrate - such as a blu-ray.
DanHorse likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, TBH it was the only way I knew how while keeping the PQ as good as possible on my ailing HD65!

Yeah the trouble with digital zoom is I cannot then get rid of the edges spilling off the screen.

The letterbox mode is a good idea, I really never tried that or thought of it, I cannot try it on the HD65 as today the bulb blew!

I am assuming the letterbox mode does not exactly fit a 16.9 screen? Its a shame I can't try that out. if others can let me know how well the resulting image fits a 16:9 though please, that would be great.

Pondering whether to go for the HD50 if only to be 100% sure on this, but I need feedback on how it stacks against the W1070/1300 on PQ etc first.

Thanks very much for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
First-off: I find your current technique for CIH to be very cool.

And it's a pity that a feature that's so fundamentally simple isn't implemented on the BenQ; I'm guessing most people don't think to use this technique.

Onto your question: I don't think the overscan feature will give you enough range to do what you're after (it only has 3 steps on the W1070; I'm sure the W1300 is the same); but Digital Zoom should be sufficient (much more range).

But I have a feeling that the simplest solution in your case (ie, replacing manual changes to zoom with a digital equivalent to achieve CIH at the expense of cropping) will actually be just to use the projector's built-in 'Aspect Ratio' function to select Letter-Box, which does the zoom/crop automatically with one button.
And while there's definitely a hit on quality in losing the 1:1 mapping, I've found that I don't notice all that much resolution loss as long as the source quality is high-bitrate - such as a blu-ray.

Best,

Dan
post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Letter-boxing is purely digital: it takes the image as-is, and zooms it to fill a 16:9 screen; eradicating the black bars at top and bottom and cropping the sides. It's similar in principle to straight digital zoom...

Overscan isn't going to help you remove just the sides of the image as it operates on all 4 sides of the image simultaneously :-(

That said, the jump in native resolution to 1080p means you probably will end up with an image that looks similar digitally-zoomed to when you're optically zooming your 720p image due to the increase in pixel density. But I don't think your current trick is workable on the BenQ unless you get a bluray player that can do it for you...

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Letter-boxing is purely digital: it takes the image as-is, and zooms it to fill a 16:9 screen; eradicating the black bars at top and bottom and cropping the sides. It's similar in principle to straight digital zoom...

Overscan isn't going to help you remove just the sides of the image as it operates on all 4 sides of the image simultaneously :-(

That said, the jump in native resolution to 1080p means you probably will end up with an image that looks similar digitally-zoomed to when you're optically zooming your 720p image due to the increase in pixel density. But I don't think your current trick is workable on the BenQ unless you get a bluray player that can do it for you...
Ah, thanks mate, I am not experienced with this side of things!

Hmm, interesting, ok so the letterboxing will work ok. Thats cool as its for the odd time the other half wants to watch something, im happy with normal viewing.

Like you said though, its a shame other brands do not implement edge masking eh!

Best,

Dan
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - W1300, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page