AVS Forum banner

Epson 8350 convergence went to crap. Looking for replacement recommendations

2K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  squeakybirnbaum 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi!

I had an Epson 8350 for a while. That started flaking out so I did the famous Epson Refurb Roulette™ and finally got a working one. That went well for about 8 months until a couple weeks ago when the convergence totally went to crap. The local Epson repair guy said that convergence repairs can run up to $1,000.

That being said, I liked the projector but I think Epson service is ****** and their quality is very hit or miss.

I am looking to get a new projector and could use some professional advice from you knowledgeable guys and gals.

Distance from the wall is almost exactly 11'. NOT ceiling mounted, sitting on top of a built in cabinet type thing (plenty of air flow).

Requirements:
  • I don't care about 3D at all.
  • Don't need speakers.
  • 1080p
  • Fairly bright. My windows aren't blacked out.
  • 2 HDMI (I use it for my PS3 and hooked up to my computer for internet/games/movies/etc).
  • RELIABLE!
  • Less than $1,200

I think that's about it. It's hard enough convincing my wife that a projector is worth it, so reliability and bulb life are key.

I've heard some good things about the BenQ W1070, but I don't need 3D at all so I was wondering if there was a better option out there.

Thanks!:D

EDIT: Also, should I wait until Black Friday to buy a new projector?

See less See more
#2 ·
There are better options than the Benqw1070, but not for 1200 dollars or less (the Panasonic ae8000 at 2000 dollars is the next step up from a w1070) . Since the Benq has no real lens shift, it probably wont work out for you anyway, unless you're willing to ceiling mount.
Wait until the Epson 3000 projectors come out, or get an 8345.

#3 ·
Wow that's quite a jump in price to the next step.

Can you please explain what the lense shift notation means, and why it inhibits me from using this unit? The place where I would put it is almost exactly where it would be ceiling mounted, except it's upright instead of upside-down.

Thanks for the info!

#4 ·
The Benqw1070 (and most cheaper projectors) is an Offset projector. Meaning the image is set to project a certain amount of degrees (usually between 100-130 degrees) away from the centerline of the lens. This is done so the image is projected upward if the projector is on a table, or downward if the projector is ceiling mounted.
If you leave the projector on a high shelf, it'll probably shoot on your ceiling instead of the projector wall. Turning it upside down on a shelf would be impractical. Thus the need for a ceiling mount. The Benqw1070 does have vertical lens shift, (The ability to move the lens independently) but it's a very small amount. Not anywhere near enough for high shelf mounting.
Plus the zoom lens on the 1070 is very limited, so you have to make sure the projected image will fit the screen size you're using. (unless you're projecting directly on the wall)
You can indeed make the 1070 work in your room, but you'll have to make changes to your present setup.

Since you're used to an 8350, with it's huge zoom lens and very generous vertical and horizontal lens shift, I saw the 8345 or the new 3000 as direct replacements for the 8350.

#5 · (Edited)
Ah ok, I see. I could probably turn it over though and just use it upside-down, on top of some kind of cradle. The center of my wall and the place where the lense would be are about 20" offset, so it's not too crazy. Do you think it would work?

As for the zoom, I played with the calculator at ProjectorCentral, but couldn't figure it out. I can't tell if an 11' throw distance will be able to be zoomed down to 100".

I really don't want to get another Epson. They left a really bad taste in my mouth with all the "refurb shuffle". If the projector actually worked well and for an extended period of time, they would be great.

I don't know if I can convince my wife of spending another $1,200 on a projector. She keeps bringing up why don't we buy a TV, they are more reliable, etc. Ugg..

**edit** how is the 8345 different from the 8350? Is it lower quality?

Oh what about an Epson 2030?

#6 ·
Upsidedown the w1070 (or anything else besides a 8345/8350 or Epson 3000series) will need to be roughly 7inches above the top of your screen (you'll need a fairly high shelf). Also the w1070 has a particularly short throw (though decent zoom for a cheap projector, nothing near those specific Epson models) and an 11foot throw-distance will result in a roughly 110" screen at the smallest.
The w1070 also goes through lamps much slower than any of the Epson's (though they cost more, a single lamp may last you well over 5years) and can't suffer alignment issues being a single-chip DLP (though I don't believe it's at all common for alignment to fall out of place normally).

The 8345 had less lamp problems than the 8350, but was otherwise the same basic projector (same real-measured contrast and brightness and zoom+offset), it might've also fixed alignment issues such as yours though I'd wait for someone else to say yes/no on that for sure.

The 2030 might fit your existing setup more easily, but its real-measured contrast is less than half of the 8345/8350 and a quarter of the w1070's, so your black-levels will become much less black.

#9 ·
Wow this answered a lot of my questions, thank you so much. I guess the 1070 is out of the question then. I could down-scale my desktop using NVIDIA's settings, but my PS3 would be throwing a 110" display.

I might end up going with the 8345 and hoping that Epson fixed some of their blunders. It sucks that there isn't really anything comparable in price/features. I'm really worried about repeating the same BS I already went through.

Thanks again!

#11 ·
If your shelf is high enough to have a projector above the screen, most projectors use a longer throw than the w1070 and can make that size:distance you'll need, it's just the upsidedown mounting that might be a trick.

The 8345 or cheapest of the new 3000 series will work and will match your current picture quality. I can't think of any other projectors under $2000 that would be able to shelf-mount rightsideup.

A third option might be putting a small, short table in front and using a short-throw projector like the w1080 that'll make 100" in about 6feet, but not everyone is okay with having the projector out front like that. Good gaming setup, but some can find it distracting for movies.

#17 ·
I couldn't get the pictures to load and then never re-checked until just now.
Good points.
No "offset" projector would work upsidedown without using digital keystone correction and the screen is way too high for a short-throw setup.

Even if the w1070 won't QUITE make that throw (I couldn't say for sure), I'd think it'd be worth it to add a little extension outward if it needs a couple more inches.

As a side-note; not to sound too snobby or anything (I shouldn't talk, my familyroom screen is well above optimum height) but, okiringo, how does your neck usually feel after a movie? That screen does look pretty high..then again if you're watching while reclining a little it might actually be nicer that way.

#19 ·
As a side-note; not to sound too snobby or anything (I shouldn't talk, my familyroom screen is well above optimum height) but, okiringo, how does your neck usually feel after a movie? That screen does look pretty high..then again if you're watching while reclining a little it might actually be nicer that way.
Haha yeah I could see where you would be concerneed, but its not that bad. My couch is kind of low backed so you can more or less recline in it. It doesn't bother us at all. :D

Okiringo, From your pictures, it looks like what Dreamer suggested might work. Don't know if you want your projector that low, but it looks doable.
However, with such a restricted situation like yours, i don't see the point in trying to shoehorn an offset projector into your room when a projector with generous lens shift can solve your problem with ease.
The w1070 is great, but it wont work in every situation. It's unfortunate that Epson seems to be the only choice when it comes to a cheap lens shifting projector. (Panasonic is still around, but how much longer is anybody's guess)
Yeah, it seems that way. Thanks for the info! I guess I'm stuck with Epson...

#18 ·
Okiringo, From your pictures, it looks like what Dreamer suggested might work. Don't know if you want your projector that low, but it looks doable.
However, with such a restricted situation like yours, i don't see the point in trying to shoehorn an offset projector into your room when a projector with generous lens shift can solve your problem with ease.
The w1070 is great, but it wont work in every situation. It's unfortunate that Epson seems to be the only choice when it comes to a cheap lens shifting projector. (Panasonic is still around, but how much longer is anybody's guess)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.