Optoma 141x Owner's Thread/Calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Optoma 141x Owner's Thread/Calibration

I just got the Optoma 141x projector last week. I was going to get the benQ 1070, but the 141x was $100 cheaper on amazon at the time (Aug. 2014, 141x was $600, 1070 was $700), so I got the 141x instead.

It's my first projector, and I love it so far. I used the AVCHD patterns to help calibrate it, and right now I have brightness at 10, contrast at -6, and sharpness at the lowest setting 1.

I'm not sure how to do the color calibration though. I have a blue filter, and I was trying to get the AVCHD color pattern correct, but I never liked it. So I have all the colors at default.

Anyways, I was just wondering how any other owners have their's calibrated, I'm just curious. I don't think many people have this projector yet though, it just came out this month I think.

Overall I think the projector is great though. Keep in mind this is my first projector, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. I did notice rainbow effect right off the bat without even experiencing it before, but I've gotten used to it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 10-16-2014, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also just bought one to replace my Optoma H31 and Marantz VP-12S4, for the most part i am happy with it, however the colors are over saturated and i do not know how to dial it out accurately, having gone through all the basic adjustments such as brightness, contrast, color temp, gamma, color space, brilliant color, and dynamic black to no avail. Also i will just mention that text looked a little softer on the top 1/4 of the screen, however in movies this is not easy to notice and the projector puts out a generally sharp image.

I imagine it could be corrected with knowledge/equipment to calibrate the hue, saturation and gain for each color (these are the only parameters available) but i am not at that level neither do i have the necessary equipment. Unfortunately the only professional reviewer did not calibrate the unit and therefore no calibration settings are available at the moment.

My current preferences are cinema with brilliant color 1 (lowest setting) and dynamic black off as i notice it changing between light and dark scenes and it seems to make little difference in actual black level in dark scenes, also the fan switches speed depending on the scene which varies the noise output. Black levels are just ok but that is to be expected at the $600 price point.

I have seen 3D movies in the theater and i have tried out the 3D mode on the projector with these glasses http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
with Bluray's i bought for testing this feature (Top Gun, Hugo) and i just find it distracting from the movie itself and have determined i will never use this feature.

My budget is tight but i am considering sending the unit back along with the 2 pairs glasses ($60) and purchasing the BenQ1070 instead which would only be $70 more if i don't buy 3D glasses, my only concerns are: BenQ customer service, OEM lamp replacement cost is about $50 more, lamp brightness and lamp life (eco is 5000hrs vs 6000 for the Optoma).

I would love for someone to post calibration settings for the HD141x in the next week or two as this is really the deciding factor. I have tried various settings for the previous models (HD131x, HD25xe) and find they do not correct the issues with saturation.

My setup is 88" diagonal parkland plastics polywall screen (rough side out) PJ 10' 6" away, seating 14' away, no keystone adj. HDMI 1 to Macmini or PS3 (optical to AVR), HDMI 2 to AVR Yamaha RX-V861 to HD Cablebox.

Last edited by consciousness; 10-16-2014 at 05:00 AM. Reason: added specs
post #3 of 67 Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

@consciousness I'm going to try putting all colors to hue=0, saturation=0, and gain=max. You try it too and see how you feel
post #4 of 67 Old 10-17-2014, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I picked up this projector almost a month ago, pretty pleased with it. I haven't gotten to calibrating the colors as well, just contrast/brightness/etc. I agree that dynamic black doesn't really do a lot for the projector, can notice only a slight difference.

I did have a question for other owners, posted in the other 141x thread but probably more suited to be here in an owners thread.

This past Monday morning I got up and was doing some work when I noticed a buzz in the room. I tracked it down to the projector and found it was coming from the fan. The unit was properly shut down and the noise was coming from it while in Standby. I hadn't noticed the noise before, it is a hum/buzz. I can hear it over two laptops running side by side around 12 feet away from the PJ, but it is drowned out by any other ambient noises in the room (window ac unit, large computer tower, conversation, etc). After hearing it I decided to fire it up and I do *think* the fans are louder...though it may just be because I am really trying to hear them. I tried a phone app decibel meter, pretty sure it is rubbish though...read out 40 - 50 db right beside the PJ after several hours operation and turned on (in eco or bright mode). A meter away it was reading in the 30s. I do think that there is more of a buzz sound to the fans than should be.

After some research I found the standby mode it was in was active (default setting) and that if I changed this to Eco the fan would shut off completely when powered down and no noise could be heard. The thing that bothers me is I didn't notice any audible sound before at all (from more than a couple feet away), but my wife reminded me that I had a turbocooler running on a gaming laptop in the room up until last Friday and also had a window ac unit running in our den until late last week.

I have started the process to RMA it to get it swapped out, but before I send it off I thought I would reach out to see if anyone else with the 141x could confirm or deny the noise with Standby mode (active) and how loud it is. Have a couple days before I can't RMA to the place I bought it, but contacted Optoma and they said if I couldn't get with the seller that they would replace it...just would take a couple weeks.
post #5 of 67 Old 10-19-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorseman View Post
I picked up this projector almost a month ago, pretty pleased with it. I haven't gotten to calibrating the colors as well, just contrast/brightness/etc. I agree that dynamic black doesn't really do a lot for the projector, can notice only a slight difference.

I did have a question for other owners, posted in the other 141x thread but probably more suited to be here in an owners thread.

This past Monday morning I got up and was doing some work when I noticed a buzz in the room. I tracked it down to the projector and found it was coming from the fan. The unit was properly shut down and the noise was coming from it while in Standby. I hadn't noticed the noise before, it is a hum/buzz. I can hear it over two laptops running side by side around 12 feet away from the PJ, but it is drowned out by any other ambient noises in the room (window ac unit, large computer tower, conversation, etc). After hearing it I decided to fire it up and I do *think* the fans are louder...though it may just be because I am really trying to hear them. I tried a phone app decibel meter, pretty sure it is rubbish though...read out 40 - 50 db right beside the PJ after several hours operation and turned on (in eco or bright mode). A meter away it was reading in the 30s. I do think that there is more of a buzz sound to the fans than should be.

After some research I found the standby mode it was in was active (default setting) and that if I changed this to Eco the fan would shut off completely when powered down and no noise could be heard. The thing that bothers me is I didn't notice any audible sound before at all (from more than a couple feet away), but my wife reminded me that I had a turbocooler running on a gaming laptop in the room up until last Friday and also had a window ac unit running in our den until late last week.

I have started the process to RMA it to get it swapped out, but before I send it off I thought I would reach out to see if anyone else with the 141x could confirm or deny the noise with Standby mode (active) and how loud it is. Have a couple days before I can't RMA to the place I bought it, but contacted Optoma and they said if I couldn't get with the seller that they would replace it...just would take a couple weeks.
Hi all,

I have not had the issue you mentioned about the fan, mine is very quiet on eco mode and i cant believe how quickly it actually shuts down after pressing the off button, maybe 6 secs compared to my h31 and Marantz vp12s4 which could go on for a couple of minutes. After shut down it is completely silent with a steady red light.

So i finally tracked down the over saturation in reds to a poor Default ICC profile on the macmini, HD 709 canned profile supplied was much better and better still was a custom profile i made using SuperCal which i dropped $20 for. I use Vivid setting for a bright sunny room which is not bad at all.

Here are my dark room settings.

Mode: User
Brightness 2
Contrast -10
Sharpness 12
Color -3
Tint 0
Gamma Film
Brilliantcolor® 2
Dynamic Black OFF
Color Temp Standard
Red 0, 0, 26
Green 0, 0, 0
Blue 0, 0, 5
Cyan -6, 0, 8
Magenta 22, 0, 15
Yellow 33, 0, 11
White -5, 1, 1
Color Space Auto
Lamp Mode Eco (Bright for more pop if you like)
roberto30 likes this.
post #6 of 67 Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

@consciousness these settings are great so far
roberto30 likes this.
post #7 of 67 Old 10-22-2014, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by consciousness View Post

Brightness 2
Contrast -10
Sharpness 12
Color -3
Tint 0
Gamma Film
Brilliantcolor® 2
Dynamic Black OFF
Color Temp Standard
Red 0, 0, 26
Green 0, 0, 0
Blue 0, 0, 5
Cyan -6, 0, 8
Magenta 22, 0, 15
Yellow 33, 0, 11
White -5, 1, 1
Color Space Auto
Yeap I confirm those settings give a better result than the defaults settings. Great improvement of the skin color which looked a bit saturated with the defaults. The skin color seems more natural now.

Thanks consciousness!
post #8 of 67 Old 10-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto30 View Post
Yeap I confirm those settings give a better result than the defaults settings. Great improvement of the skin color which looked a bit saturated with the defaults. The skin color seems more natural now.

Thanks consciousness!
Great, glad i could be of help. I was really on the fence about sending this back and opting (no pun intended lol) for the BenQ W1070, but y'know i'm quite happy with the PJ now for the money, also with the BenQ a couple of years old, a little more expensive, possible reliability issues, costlier replacement lamp and lacking customer service i think i'll stick with this little bargain.

Good luck all who purchased one of these and please post your settings, it's always fun to see what o.p. are using.
roberto30 likes this.
post #9 of 67 Old 10-24-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Great, glad i could be of help. I was really on the fence about sending this back and opting (no pun intended lol) for the BenQ W1070, but y'know i'm quite happy with the PJ now for the money, also with the BenQ a couple of years old, a little more expensive, possible reliability issues, costlier replacement lamp and lacking customer service i think i'll stick with this little bargain.

Good luck all who purchased one of these and please post your settings, it's always fun to see what o.p. are using.
The HD131xe had a function button on the remote called LBX that vertically stretched an image so a scope movie filled the screen vertically. Did they drop this function with the 141x or just call it something different ?

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #10 of 67 Old 10-25-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
The HD131xe had a function button on the remote called LBX that vertically stretched an image so a scope movie filled the screen vertically. Did they drop this function with the 141x or just call it something different ?
HD141x has this function as well. The screen display can be changed into LBX, 16:9, native and 4:3
post #11 of 67 Old 10-25-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HD141x has this function as well. The screen display can be changed into LBX, 16:9, native and 4:3
So a scope BluRay can be expanded vertically, but not horizontally ? So that an anamorphic lens can then expand the image sideways to fill a 2.35 screen ? What button does this and how is the quality of the scaling ?

Kirk Ellis
post #12 of 67 Old 10-26-2014, 06:12 AM

Yes vertically it can be expanded but things look stretched. I don't know if the scope can be expanded horizontally in order to fill a 2.35 screen. Unfortunately I haven't got a 2:35 movie in order to test .
post #13 of 67 Old 10-26-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Yes vertically it can be expanded but things look stretched. I don't know if the scope can be expanded horizontally in order to fill a 2.35 screen. Unfortunately I haven't got a 2:35 movie in order to test .

http://vimeo.com/8445370

Play that on your PJ if its connected to PC or capture it using likes of Freemake Video Downloader and play on PJ.
post #14 of 67 Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, it is the vertical only that is needed for using an anamorphic lens. How good do you think the quality of the scaling is ? I used to let an HTPC and PowerDVD scale stuff before my last projector ever got the signal and it was very smooth, but I don't use an HTPC anymore so I was hoping the HD141X internal scaling was good.

Kirk Ellis
post #15 of 67 Old 10-27-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks, it is the vertical only that is needed for using an anamorphic lens. How good do you think the quality of the scaling is ? I used to let an HTPC and PowerDVD scale stuff before my last projector ever got the signal and it was very smooth, but I don't use an HTPC anymore so I was hoping the HD141X internal scaling was good.
Unfortunately I don't have a HTPC to test but I am going to test this evening with my bluray player with 16:9 original content into ΤΒΧ and then I will try to shoot a photo for you from my mobile το see for yourself. I hope this can help you
post #16 of 67 Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have a HTPC to test but I am going to test this evening with my bluray player with 16:9 original content into ΤΒΧ and then I will try to shoot a photo for you from my mobile το see for yourself. I hope this can help you
That would be great, thanks ! Closeup as possible, please.

Kirk Ellis
post #17 of 67 Old 10-27-2014, 11:01 PM

The first is 16:9, the second is LTB. The photos were taken with my mobile so the quality is awful. The photos cannot discribe the real quality of the picture that this projector gives.
I am uploading those photos only to show my friend dreamer the difference between 16:9 and LTB in this device in order to help him decide about the purchase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1414475113058.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	335585Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1414475128289.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	335593
post #18 of 67 Old 10-28-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The first is 16:9, the second is LTB. The photos were taken with my mobile so the quality is awful. The photos cannot discribe the real quality of the picture that this projector gives.
I am uploading those photos only to show my friend dreamer the difference between 16:9 and LTB in this device in order to help him decide about the purchase.

Attachment 335585Attachment 335593
Thanks Roberto, the vertical stretch looks good. Was this a paused image ? It doesn't seem so. Either that or there was some horizontal cropping of the image in the second pic.

Kirk Ellis
post #19 of 67 Old 10-28-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks Roberto, the vertical stretch looks good. Was this a paused image ? It doesn't seem so. Either that or there was some horizontal cropping of the image in the second pic.
You are wellcome

Yes it is a paused image. I dont think that the projector crops the original picture in order to fit but I wiil check again as soon as I get home.
post #20 of 67 Old 10-28-2014, 09:01 AM

Those 3 photos:first 16:9, second LTB and third super wide.
LTB does not crop the image but super wide crops it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1414511891907.jpg
Views:	1105
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	337114Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1414511903404.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	337122Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1414511916652.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	337130
post #21 of 67 Old 10-28-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those 3 photos:first 16:9, second LTB and third super wide.
LTB does not crop the image but super wide crops it.

Attachment 337114Attachment 337122Attachment 337130
Yep, that superwide mode is just a zoom in both directions it looks like. The LTB looks correct for a CIW anamorphic setup.

Kirk Ellis
post #22 of 67 Old 11-03-2014, 10:55 AM

@consciousness

Ahhh, I'm so much in the same position right now. It's 100 euro's more over here. Im coming from an Acer beamer, which was my first, but just had 720p max. I got the hd141x now and I'm pretty satisfied.

Blacks are just far worse than I thought with the contrast ratio they are advertising with. My Acer had like 2000:1, so I expected an improvement but I must say this lets me down.

I wonder, will the W1070 be of that much better picture quality to satisfy an extra €100?!
post #23 of 67 Old 11-03-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev28 View Post
@consciousness

Ahhh, I'm so much in the same position right now. It's 100 euro's more over here. Im coming from an Acer beamer, which was my first, but just had 720p max. I got the hd141x now and I'm pretty satisfied.

Blacks are just far worse than I thought with the contrast ratio they are advertising with. My Acer had like 2000:1, so I expected an improvement but I must say this lets me down.

I wonder, will the W1070 be of that much better picture quality to satisfy an extra €100?!
Could you do me a favor and check whether the HD141X "Image Shift" in the "Display" menu can move a 2.35 image up of down all the way to the top or bottom of a 16:9 screen ?

It would be nice to move it down for a "Stadium seating" feel or up so the top of the image is at the top of the screen whether watching 16:9 or 1.85 or 2.35 or 2.40 or whatever.

Kirk Ellis
post #24 of 67 Old 11-03-2014, 06:10 PM

Liked: 10
I can hear it over two laptops running side by side around 12 feet away from the PJ, but it is drowned out by any other ambient noises in the room.
post #25 of 67 Old 11-04-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Could you do me a favor and check whether the HD141X "Image Shift" in the "Display" menu can move a 2.35 image up of down all the way to the top or bottom of a 16:9 screen ?

It would be nice to move it down for a "Stadium seating" feel or up so the top of the image is at the top of the screen whether watching 16:9 or 1.85 or 2.35 or 2.40 or whatever.
I can try later today.

The noise during standby is something you setup during the first start of the projector. It has 2 optons; Eco and Active standby, in active mode it makes noise, in eco it fully quiet.

Not sure why you would want to keep the fan on during standby though...
post #26 of 67 Old 11-04-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev28 View Post
I can try later today.

The noise during standby is something you setup during the first start of the projector. It has 2 optons; Eco and Active standby, in active mode it makes noise, in eco it fully quiet.

Not sure why you would want to keep the fan on during standby though...
Were you able to check the vertical image shift ?

Kirk Ellis
post #27 of 67 Old 11-18-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Yes it can move up and down to the edges.
post #28 of 67 Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 AM

Has anyone found any optimal settings for 3D movies? I just got the projector and I set it to Eco mode. However, I find that the 3D movies are somewhat dark.

Any suggestions please?
post #29 of 67 Old 11-19-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Brightness 2
Contrast -10
Sharpness 12
Color -3
Tint 0
Gamma Film
Brilliantcolor® 2
Dynamic Black OFF
Color Temp Standard
Red 0, 0, 26
Green 0, 0, 0
Blue 0, 0, 5
Cyan -6, 0, 8
Magenta 22, 0, 15
Yellow 33, 0, 11
White -5, 1, 1
Color Space Auto
Do you use the same settings for viewing 3D content?
post #30 of 67 Old 11-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Never mind. After testing the 3D effect for some time, I decided to return the four pairs of SainSonic 3D DLP glasses. As much as I wanted to like watching in 3D, it just made the watching experience worse due to low brightness and eye strain after a while. I much prefer to view content in 1080p and enjoy the vivid colours than to watch 3D with poor picture and not much value to added to the movie.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - 141x by PriceGrabber.com