Hooking up HDMI to projector & Plasma on same wall. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Hooking up HDMI to projector & Plasma on same wall.

Been driving me batty trying to figure out the best method.

Presently have a 65 inch plasma on the wall. Saturday I have a electric 133 inch going in for my projector.

I have direct TV with one HDMI out. I also have a Bluray with 1 HDMI out. I want to be able to use both Sattelite and Bluray on both displays. Had a couple ideas not sure which would be best.

Run a splitter off the bluray and another off the Sat ($50 a piece). Have two HDMI cables going to projector and two to Plasma.

Or possibly get a second $60 3D bluray player and hook it up directly to projector. Could also get a second DVR from Direct Tv. Planning on getting Genie anyway and just pay the extra $6 a month to keep the second DVR. Wouldnt need any splitters or switch boxes if I went this route.

I am open to other options that might be better / simpler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You don't have an audio system? The most elegant way would be to have a 3d hdmi 1.4 AV receiver with two hdmi outputs (one to the tv, one to the projector). Your dvr, blu-ray player, game systems would connect to the hdmi inputs and everything would be accessible to either display. If your receiver has only one output, just put a splitter on it with 3d support.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Agreed! If you have a projector, then it won't have speakers worth listening to, if it has any at all. Most people setup a surround sound setup, or just a stereo setup with some halfway decent speakers. Even cheap speakers do a much better job than what any TV or projector typically has in it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have a dolby surround but has no HDMI. Doesnt seem like a lot of them have 2 HDMI outputs on them. Atleast not in the lower range. Wife is going to start noticing if I get a receiver too. Just ordered a new set of Bose Jewel speakers (tiny little double cubed ones half the size of their normal ones) Wasnt planning on that expense. I looked at them last night on amazon. some pretty awesome sounding ones for only 200-300 but looking over reviews I think I will just end up dissapointed. Seem like I would be better off in the 500-700 range for something decent but then its too pricey at this moment to justify.

Splitter probably makes more sense if they work well than a second Bluray and direct Tv box. Although initially having the extra boxes would be cheaper.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Just realized something obvious. I cant do separate boxes or I will have to swap the audio cables back and forth. Doh ! So I need to either run two splitters @ 50 each or maybe I could get a decent Yamaha AVR with HDMI in the $300 range and run a single splitter on the output of it.
old corps likes this.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 456
.... Bose ....

Sonyad and old corps like this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dllhg View Post
Just realized something obvious. I cant do separate boxes or I will have to swap the audio cables back and forth. Doh ! So I need to either run two splitters @ 50 each or maybe I could get a decent Yamaha AVR with HDMI in the $300 range and run a single splitter on the output of it.
If you are going to get a new receiver, spend a bit more to get a receiver that has dual HDMI output. This will likely put you in a price range that is 2x your $300 budget. Best solution for you at that budget is to get an HDMI splitter until you can pick up a better receiver. Make sure the splitter it is HDMI 1.4 compatible in case you end up needing it to work with 3D projection.

As for the BOSE speakers, save your money. BOSE is overpriced for what you get. But to each his own when it comes to speakers.
old corps likes this.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Lot of the switches say 1.3 and list 3D ......

I dont think I even want to get a $300 receiver now honestly. My present receiver was $1500 ov er 10 years ago and blows away my $500 receiver I have in bedroom with same speakers. I am thinking $300 I will probably be dissapointed.

As for Bose, they are fantastic for movies. Have had good large tower speakers but they didnt even seem as good for movies to me. I use 5.1 and I also added a powered subwoofer for better Bass. I never paid retail for them. In fact I got the 5 double cube jewel speakers and sub for $400 total. Retail to get those really tiny cubes is closer to 3K. The main purpose for them is to get good sound (not great) with virtually invisible speakers. Overpriced retail yes I would agree 100%.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yeah, with speakers, to each his own. Really, the important thing is you are happy.