Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 103 Old 01-14-2003, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BTW, I definitely saw a perceptible brightness difference between the loaner (100 hours) and my unit (0 hours). The new bulb was brighter when using the exact same settings.

Unfortunately, I don't have any calibration equipment to back up my opinion with numbers.

-eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 01-16-2003, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh frdfsnlght, you might want to abandon the idea of the 500VA UPS, unless you're certain it outputs a pure sine wave, and not a square wave or an approximated step sine wave. Amongst the APC products, you have to get above the bottom two models in the Smart-UPS line get sine wave output.

Search the (I think) integration forum for more info. Also, you can get a Smart-UPS on eBay for pennies on the dollar because people just dump 'em when the batteries die. You can pick up new batteries at local vendors, just look under "Batteries" in your yellow pages. Around my part of the country, there is a local vendor called "Batteries Unlimited". You might have a similar outfit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LOGANED September 4th, 2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 103 Old 01-16-2003, 02:17 PM

Count me in on the "bulb won't light problem". Not sure at how many hours it started at (I have 190hr now though). But I sent it back to sharp everyone was very nice, but they couldn't reproduce the problem there so they sent it back. I recieved it plugged it in and no go, it won't start, but will after 5 minutes or so. Just started reading this thread though, I do have it encono mode, I'm going to flip it over to regular and see if that makes a different. The flickering makes me nervous yet, I haven't seen it but it sounds like I might soon.

Great thread

Update: I tried encono mode and it still refusing to light on the first try. Is it the 'Ignition Key' that has been replaced when this problem happens? Just wondering what to tell the service rep when I call them.

-Scott
post #94 of 103 Old 01-16-2003, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I've posted elsewhere that my loaner was about 93% brighter than my projector. Also, mine turned off on its own once last night. I called Sharp this morning and they said I could return mine and keep the loaner. Not really too bad a deal to have a new projector after 6 months. I hope this one holds up better than my first one, but at least there's always the warranty.

--Darin
post #95 of 103 Old 01-16-2003, 07:20 PM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For anyone's sake, here's a little update on my M20x:

152 hours on it and the flickering and lamp not lighting problems have not been heard of since my last posting about which happened around 60 hours or so on the unit. I'm counting myself as lucky, yet I'm still keeping an eye on it.

-David
post #96 of 103 Old 01-16-2003, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nox
For anyone's sake, here's a little update on my M20x:

152 hours on it and the flickering and lamp not lighting problems have not been heard of since my last posting about which happened around 60 hours or so on the unit. I'm counting myself as lucky, yet I'm still keeping an eye on it.
Good, I'm glad to hear about some people having a working pj. It really is an awesome device.... when it is working correctly.

LOGANED September 4th, 2013

post #97 of 103 Old 01-21-2003, 09:17 AM

My M20Xa now has just over 800 hours on it. I have had intermittant flickering but I cannot blame it on the projector since the problem seems to be with certain cable channels. I had startup problem early on but it hasn't happened since I took it out of Econo mode. The problem I see now is that the projector is definitely less bright than when it was at 100 hours and takes a long long time to get to an acceptable viewing brightness (5 minutes or so). I am not sure if this is normal or not since nearly half of the lamp life has been used. Hope I truly get 2000 hours out of this lamp. Any one out there with more hours than me on this model?

Rob, FLorida
Sharp PG-M20X-A DLP Projector
post #98 of 103 Old 01-25-2003, 07:00 AM

Things have been going so well. I vowed at Christmas that I'd remodel the Home Theater room in time for the Super Bowl, so I've been very busy, not much time to watch the m20x while remodeling. Well, I've stuck to my schedule, and the Home Theater room is ready to go. Another bonus, my local ABC has finally turned on their Digital Channel and will be broadcasting the Super Bowl in High Def!! Man, this is gonna be a really cool Super Bowl party on Sunday. Well, I hooked up the theater equipment, remounted the projector and fired everything up. ABC sure does look nice in high def. Well, what do you know, after only 41 hours on a new bulb, this piece of crap dies on me again, Friday night at 11:30. Too late to call Sharp and get a replacement for Sunday. I regret the day I bought this machine. Luckily, I've got my 4 year old Infocus machine as a backup. Not as bright, not great contrast, but guess what? It always works, no matter what! I'll never buy a Sharp product again.

Regards,

Brad Johnson, A+, Net +
post #99 of 103 Old 01-26-2003, 12:15 PM

Mine has worked fine since the repair a month ago. I have 70 hours on it now. I turned it to economy mode at 60 hours and left it there. The brightness difference in economy mode is very small and I expect the bulb life will be much longer. If there is a problem with economy mode I would rather find out now while it is still under warranty.
post #100 of 103 Old 07-10-2003, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juka
I use my M20X-a in Normal mode (day) AND Economy mode (night).

Slight problem/inconvenience:

On power-up, the image sometimes fluctuates in brightness every second: bright, dim, bright, dim, as if it's automatically switching from Normal to Economy mode. This is not a source problem, since it happens with the blue Notevision screen also. This continues from power up for about a minute. I have to check if this is a result of starting in Economy mode. I'm wondering if it only happens for a minute because I've switched to Normal mode... haven't totally trouble-shot this yet... usually after a minute I'm lost in my movie.

Anyone else see this? Since there's no benefit in lamp life, maybe I should just always use Normal mode (if that solves the issue?)
My problem is just like this, occuring about 10 minutes after startup, starting at around 60 hours, and lasting longer each time. Could it be because I'm using a UPS? Before I got the UPS there was this weird vertical flash on the very left of the screen.
post #101 of 103 Old 07-16-2003, 11:58 PM

Are people still having these problems on new M20x's? I've been thinking about getting one, but only if Sharp has fixed this unit.
post #102 of 103 Old 07-17-2003, 12:45 AM

If anyone's interested my M20x bulb has made it to 2200 hours and counting in economy mode.
post #103 of 103 Old 07-17-2003, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO ...
They have addressed the issue with projectors whos serial numbers start with "3". A model starting with "2" but has a black dot would indicate that it has had the firmware upgrade ... but I have heard of some of these still having trouble ...

In any case, you should be fine. Just play it safe and ask for a model that the serial number starts with a "3".
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page