AVS Forum banner

Official Sony VPL-HW40ES Owners/Settings Thread

208K views 2K replies 329 participants last post by  Ellebob 
#1 · (Edited)
I think enough Owners in the Sony HW-40ES information thread have expressed interest in a dedicated thread where owners can share calibration information, settings, etc.

Hopefully we can get some good information here from hobbyists and professional calibrators alike! I'll post my reference and game settings after I get home tonight. All settings I post will be eye-ball settings using WOW/AVS 709 patterns and a blue filter.

Some information on my setup in the meantime:

-Sony HW40ES projector
-Chief RPMAU ceiling mount w/16" dual joist adapter and 6" 1.5 NPT drop
-Yamaha RX471 5.1 surround receiver and speakers (powered Yamaha subwoofer)
-PS4 for Bluray/gaming
-Uverse STB for TV
-DaLite matte grey 90" pull down screen. Throw distance 9.5 feet (yeah...it's a small space ;))

EDIT: reference and game mode settings

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Picture Mode: Reference (Bluray & 3D)

Contrast 84
Brightness 55
Color 50
Hue 50
Color temp D65
Cinema Black Pro:low
Advanced > Color Space: BT709 (all others OFF)

Reality Creation > Resolution (default, halfway between Min/Max)
Reality Creation > Noise Filter (20)

3D brightness: 2

All other settings default
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Picture Mode: Game (PS4)

Contrast 78
Brightness 44
Color 50
Hue 50
Color temp D65
Cinema Black Pro:low
Advanced > Color Space: BT709 (all others OFF)

All other settings default
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See less See more
#1,603 · (Edited)
I need help with setting up my sony 40 es projector(small room)

4 years of hoping to own this beautiful projector is now over. I am so happy. Bought it off of ebay for $700.

I want to place the projector on the wall near the door.

I plan to buy this motorized projector screen:

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screen...orized+projector+screen&qid=1589332186&sr=8-5

to go over the sliding glass windows. Not sure to go with 100 or 110 inch screen. I will be sitting at abouut 9 feet, maybe a little under.

As you can see in the picture the projector shooting (PATTERN MODE) at the curtains is at 113 inches. I try to use the zoom to make the image smaller but it doesn't work when I turn it. How do I make the image smaller?

I bought this shelf on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGI7V4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or should I mount it?

If I put up the glass shelf how high do I put it up?

I plan to mount the motorized screen on the ceiling.

Here are the room measurements:

9x13
8 ft ceiling.

I also got to rearrange the room, move acoustic treatment, speakers & take out a lot of stuff.

Attachments

#1,604 ·
4 years of hoping to own this beautiful projector is now over. I am so happy. Bought it off of ebay for $700.

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screen...orized+projector+screen&qid=1589332186&sr=8-5

to go over the sliding glass windows. Not sure to go with 100 or 110 inch screen. I will be sitting at abouut 9 feet, maybe a little under.

As you can see in the picture the projector shooting (PATTERN MODE) at the curtains is at 113 inches. I try to use the zoom to make the image smaller but it doesn't work when I turn it. How do I make the image smaller?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGI7V4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or should I mount it?

9x13
8 ft ceiling.

I also got to rearrange the room, move acoustic treatment, speakers & take out a lot of stuff.
If possible go for the 110 or higher. Screen size is also up to personal preference, but movies look better on a larger screen.

For positioning length wise:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HW40ES-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Lens shift is Horizontal +/-25% & Vertical +/-71%, from the screens width and height respectively.

The 40ES is 22lbs, and the shelf supports up to 30. Personally I don't trust tempered glass.

#1,606 ·
Sony hw40es

or should I mount it?

9x13
8 ft ceiling.

I also got to rearrange the room, move acoustic treatment, speakers & take out a lot of stuff.[/quote]

Hi.. I found a deal used at 700 USD..
Need your advice.. is it worth getting this very old projector in 2020? considering there are many 1080p projectors available brand new under 1000 usd range . Also there is viewsonic 747-4K projector available in this range..
Did you do research ? is picture quality and features that much good in HW40ES in 2020 as compared to newer ones and what made you buy this instead of newer 1080 projectors?

will really appreciate your input

thanks

#1,607 ·

or should I mount it?

9x13
8 ft ceiling.

Hi.. I found a deal used at 700 USD..
Need your advice.. is it worth getting this very old projector in 2020? considering there are many 1080p projectors available brand new under 1000 usd range . Also there is viewsonic 747-4K projector available in this range..
Did you do research ? is picture quality and features that much good in HW40ES in 2020 as compared to newer ones and what made you buy this instead of newer 1080 projectors?

will really appreciate your input

thanks[/QUOTE]

No deal talk on this sub forum. Only MSRP.

The Sony has better contrast/black level than most of these DLPs, 4K or 1080p.

It also depends on the room. If the room is not treated some of the contrast will be lost.

Also depends on the size of the screen, where the projector can be placed, etc.

#1,610 ·
I have a wire management question, the power cord that came with the projector is too long for my ceiling mount. What I'd like to do is use a short power cord to help eliminate excess wire. I found a 1' cord on monoprice and would like to use it. Due to it's shortness in length does anyone feel there might be an issue with using it?

#1,611 ·
I upgraded my HW40ES to a Epson 9400 and the difference is night and day for anyone looking for a comparable upgrade path.

I was tonemapping via MadVR 4k HDR material onto my HW40ES and it looked good but the difference between the two is crazy. The Epson without its filter almost looks like a flat panel TV on my ALR screen even with some ambient light.

Can't beat the Sony for value though (and motion). I got mine for like £400-500.

#1,612 ·
HI there and to all fathers... enjoy your day!!! I have an old VPL-HW40ES (I'm the original owner) that I used for couple of years no problem. I switched to 295ES. I turned the 40ES projector ON without anything connected to it and the image is green. Is that a lamp issue or is it a projector issue? The lamp is the original lamp yet. LAMP hours currently 2100 hrs. Just wondering if getting a new lamp will take care of that greenish.

Looking for advice from the Experts out there.. Picture below.

Attachments

#1,613 ·
Any idea? I was going to give it to a friend of mine. When connecting a video source to it like an HTPC or even a BluRay player we can see that greenish... and without nothing connected to it .. the screen is completely green as the picture above. The only changed I did on settings was to flip the image back to normal as the projector was mounted on the ceiling.

#1,617 ·
I've had this projector for several years, and over the past week I've started having an issue where the screen goes black, and then comes back on. It will do this three, four, maybe five times. The time the screen is black seems to be getting longer, but for now it varies from less than a second to maybe a second. So far, I've had it do this within the first 15 minutes of turning on the PJ, and then no other problems after.

I have not seen the HDMI logo in the top left, so I can't say for certain that this is a handshake issue, but it could be that it's too short a time. Though it goes dark enough that it looks like the lamp is completely out, but going from a bright scene to dark can trick the eyes.

Any thoughts? It seems odd that I would start having HDMI issues after this long with no other problems.

#1,618 ·
Have you updated firmware/software on the PJ or on any other components in your chain/set up recently?

Sounds like an HDMI/handshake issue. Try the other HDMI input and also you could try a different order of switching things on.

#1,620 ·
Question on replacement bulbs. This will be the second one I've bought. The first replacement I bought was from projectorpeople.com for about $250, and it performed very well. They're now selling the LMP-H202 for $289. On Amazon they go for as low as $71 from some sellers, although they appear to be knock-offs with likely performance issues. I'm also seeing some sellers who have it at $141, such as this one:https://www.projectorlamps.com/sony...MIu76OuJul6gIVweDICh20EA9rEAAYAyAAEgKuHPD_BwE

Is my best bet to just go with the sure thing and spend the $289? Has anyone had any good experiences with other sellers who are selling the bulb at a lower price?

#1,622 · (Edited)
plastic front lens replacement

My cleaning lady used a harsh chemical on the lens and now it is useless. where can I find a replacement? Do you think polishing will help the foggy central area? I didn't know the lens was plastic.

#1,624 ·
My cleaning lady used a harsh chemical on the lens and now it is useless. where can I find a replacement? Do you think polishing will help the foggy central area? I didn't know the lens was plastic.
Can you post any pictures of the damage?

What on earth was she doing touching a projector lens anyway? :eek:

It may be easier to get the cleaner to pay to get a new lens fitted at a Sony service centre. Does she have public liability insurance?

Reactions: DrA
#1,623 ·
Can you guy so 3D on your HW40ES?

I tried on mine and it was awful and un-useable. VERY dim. this on an ALR Screen.

#1,629 ·
Apple TV issue, possibly lamp related?

So I am having a really strange problem that I cannot wrap my head around. I have the 40es projector, a 3rd generation AppleTV, a PS3, and a Roku Ultra.

I recently changed the lamp in the projector. As soon as I did that, I began having an issue with the AppleTV related to the image. It’s a very subtle stutter in the image. It’s silent, infrequent, inconsistent, and usually related to movement in the image. It’s like a millisecond-long skipping forward.

It happens with no other device except the AppleTV. It even happens if I switch out that older AppleTV with another recently purchased AppleTV 4K I have in another part of the house. It also doesn’t seem to ever happen while using Netflix. Only Amazon Prime and ITunes purchased movies that I can tell so far. The AppleTVs are fully up to date with their software. I did not have this issue prior to switching in the new lamp.

Can anyone make any possible sense out of this?

#1,630 · (Edited)
hey , everyone the lamp on my 40es has reached end of life and I can't use the projector at all. i have flashing red light on the lamp led (flashes 3 times) which means i have to now change the lamp. was wondering what would be the cheapest way to do it? my local hifi shop want to charge $490 AUD which is too much for me to spend on it at the moment. i found a guy on youtube () who is changing his with this lamp ( https://amzn.to/2GLjCSF ) which only costs $100 AUD and i can change it myself however it says it cant ship to australia so i might have a challenge there or need to use a forwarding service. would this be ok to use? open to any other suggestions.

#1,632 ·
I bought from them Dec 2019. That's invoice date. Not sure if that's when it shipped as I remember a long delay. I've had flickering last couple of months. I'm only at 500 hours. Not sure where to go next as I assume I'm out of warranty by 2 months, but not happy with the lanp life from them.

#1,633 ·
I just replaced my lamp. Projector Lamp Experts had a long lead time to restock. So I purchased from Pureland Supply. It arrived in a few days, well packaged. Everything is in good working order.

#1,634 ·
Errr. I've got flickering with the new lamp in eco mode. I switched to high and flickering stopped. I never had flickering with the original bulb.

#1,639 ·
@J_P_A - It goes completely off. The first couple times it happened I had to unplug and plug it back in before it would come back on. Recently, I've noticed the light under the lens (ceiling mount) blinking red and I've been able to get it to come back on with the remote. I had guests over last night and it happened but fortunately it was in the last 2 minutes of the movie. However, there's no pattern that I've been able to determine.

@73shark - I just checked and the lamp hours are 1879.

#1,642 ·
From the manual:

Reactions: realcodeguy
#1,649 ·
I replaced my filter at the rip off price about a month ago. Anybody know how to get the "change filter" message on start up to go away permanently. I know that hitting any button will turn it off on each start up but it always comes back.

#1,651 ·
That works for the clean the filter and

The "Have you cleaned the filter" and "Have you changed the bulb" messages have a yes/no option but not the "change the filter message."