XGA Projector & HDTV, Worthwhile?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-29-2002, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone out there using their XGA projector with HD source material? I'm contemplating getting a OTA STB or going the Dish route, and wondering at this point is it worth the expenditure? I'm using a LT150 and old threads indicated it can sync to 1080i. Biggest question is PQ? Little, moderate or big improvement?

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-29-2002, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
BIG improvement. I used to have an LT150 and it did a great job with HDTV. Go for it!

Steve
post #3 of 20 Old 09-29-2002, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

aviman33

Yes that's a really good set up. I use a SharpM20X fed my an RCA DTC100 and a MyHD card. The combination is really impressive on a 100" screen.

Clay
post #4 of 20 Old 09-29-2002, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
HDTV downscaled to XGA is breathtaking compared to upscaled NTSC or even DVD.

IMHO, XGA displays are a price 'sweetspot' for HDTV - 64% of the pixel count of a 1280x720 display - but less than 64% of the cost.

Obsession in moderation
post #5 of 20 Old 09-29-2002, 02:31 PM

Just watched The Green Mile last night on ABC with my LT150. The picture quality is amazing. The increased resolution is great, but the color rendition is what really blows my mind. Much better than any DVD I own, that's for sure.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-30-2002, 07:02 AM

By all means go HD with an XGA projector. I have seen it on the LT150 and it is great. I find myself watching HD on my M20X far more than watching DVD's. "Alias" on ABC last night was teriffic as was "MI2" on CBS. There is a big difference between HD and DVD, even my wife can see it from the living room, some 30' away. I am using a Hughes E86 with OTA and Directv.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-30-2002, 07:42 AM

this is what left me with no decision to make...MUST HAVE LT150z!!!
i used a component-to-15 pin adapter and hooked in directly to my dishnetwork model 6000-KILLER PICTURE!!
comparing the picture quality to a sony vpl-12:yea,the sony looks better,at 2 1/2 times the cost and with 1366x768 wxga,it should,BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK 2 1/2 times better!
GO FOR IT!-I AM!
avman.:D
post #8 of 20 Old 10-05-2002, 11:24 AM

I am interested in doing this as well, but with a broadcast HD receiver and a Panasonic 720 (1024x768). I have two questions? How do you connect them? Component? Then does my DVD get pushed down to "S" video? Is true WXGA available in the $3000 range? And how do you record HD programming for playback later?

Anthony

Denon UD-M30 -> Sunfire Super Jr. -> Houston GSP-02 -> Magnepan SMGa's.
Still workin' on the HT.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-05-2002, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff442
...the color rendition is what really blows my mind. Much better than any DVD I own, that's for sure.
I agree, the colors in a DTV broadcast are amazing - so much so I find myself watching less and less NTSC cable these days.

IIRC, the colorspace for ATSC (DTV) is much greater than for NTSC - hence the difference.

Perhaps a DTV expert will chime in with a better explanation.

Obsession in moderation
post #10 of 20 Old 10-05-2002, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

IEBA

The panasonic pt-720 has two 15 pin RGB/component inputs so put the HD stb to one and dvd to the other!

ddog!

To see pictures of my home theater & screen shots click on the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
icon at the top or go to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 20 Old 10-05-2002, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the info on the dual inputs on the 720. I guess I must tell the HDTV receiver what my display resolution is? Or do I just let them figure it out for themselves?
---
Jag,
I'm not a DTV expert, but I do digital video production.

NTSC is based on B&W TV, with color added after the fact.
The FCC mandated "backward compatability" so the color is actually modulated under the B&W signal and this extra information is what slowed it down from B&W true 30 fps (interlaced) to 29.97. In analogue RF (cable or broadcast) you got a carrier, video signal stereo audio signal (and whatever interference, multipath etc) all taking up 6 Mhz os bandwith and multiplexed together.

The DTV signal offers true component color video, separate from audio, from the outset. Now the bandwith of a DTV signal is the same as that allocated for NTSC broadcasts (which is how they can coexist on the air and on a cable) but the information for audio (even 5.1) is compressed and packetized separately so the two don't interfere. This is what led to audio sync issues in the early receivers. So, with true component color, delivered at various frame rates and sizes (NTSC or better) in a way that you see exactly what what was compressed, you can understand how good DTV is.

For a wacky (but incredibly informed) view on DTV, its promises perils, I recommend Mark Shubin's columns in various trade pubs. He's discarded more information than much of us will ever know. His latest is here:

http://www.digitaltelevision.com/200..._schubin.shtml

Anthony

Still workin' on the HT.
post #12 of 20 Old 10-05-2002, 05:18 PM

Hey guys

I got a Sharp m20XA @ 120" and I love it. Play games in my HT with kicking surround 8.1 system.

I got a basic HTPC with AIW 7500 card.
DVD is the best I can project.

I just can't find a $300 and under HD source yet.

I keep wanting to hold out for some type of all in wonder HD box
for DirectTV/OTA with Tivo recording like options.

Can any of you guys help me?????
post #13 of 20 Old 10-05-2002, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

A year ago I decided I wouldn't wait for the perfect HD source and have been enjoying OTA HDTV ever since.

It figured that it may be a long time before HD Tivo shows up, I never have recorded much and there isn't enough HDTV on satellite to interest me.

I have an HTPC, but don't want to futz with the software problems with the tuner cards (I do software for a living, don't want to mess with it on my own time).

Obsession in moderation
post #14 of 20 Old 10-06-2002, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a Sanyo XW-15 that I use with a Time-Warner set top box for HD source material (SA 3100 HD box) It looks amazing on my 84" screen. The best is live sports - college football on CBS HD. In NYC we have CBS, ABC, , NBC, HBO and SHO in HD. Saw 'Men in Black' last night on NBC, looked super.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-06-2002, 05:51 PM

I'm looking at the Samsung SIR-T165 DTV receiver box which outputs DVI, Firewire, and RGB, as well as "S" and composite. Do I have to use RGB or DVI for HD or can I get HD over the "S" video cable to the video projector? I mean, in Europe, PAL gos over the same "S" video cabe NTSC uses in the US. So, is the cable not the dermining factor of the playback system?

Anthony

Still workin' on the HT.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-06-2002, 05:51 PM

AVIMAN33,

Go for it. I have been using a Sharp XV-DW100U with a Hughes E-86 HD. DirecTV for the past year, and it is stunning. One of the nice things about the Hughes is that it has an ATSC Tuner in it that decodes local terrestrial HD as well as the three channels on DirecTV. It rolls the local HD channels into the same program guide as the DirecTV guide so you don't have to switch from Antenna to Sat. It also sends all inputs out at 1080i which is a good match for an XGA Projector.

DirecTV also going to add some additional HD channels near the end of the year.

By the way, the Hughes E86 sells for around $500 at such stores as Best Buy. It is basically the same as the Mitsubishi or Toshiba for several hundred dollars less.

Rogercy

rogercy
post #17 of 20 Old 10-06-2002, 06:08 PM

IEBA,

Today you need to use the Component output to do HD, eventually there will be lots of display devices that use DVI or Firewire, not much out there yet. The Hughes E86 doesn't have DVI or Firewire, the next model from Hughes will have DVI as DirecTV has picked that connection for the future.

Is the Samsung just a Terresterial decoder? I don't see the benefit of buying a terrestrial only unit, as DirecTV is in the process of adding additional HD channels and you can generally get it for about the same price as a terrestrial only unit.

By the way.......Magnepans RULE!!!

I own MG3.3R, third set of maggies and not done yet.

Rogercy

rogercy
post #18 of 20 Old 10-06-2002, 06:47 PM

Actually, I'm torn between the Samsung 151 (discounted many places) and the 165 because the 151 decodes DTV only, not NTSC. The 165 decodes all broadcast TV. I do not pay for TV, not cable nor sattelite. I get more than a dozen stations for when I do watch broadcast, and mostly I just watch DVD's.

Right now the pickle is trying to decide what will switch the video... I'll be able to receive NTSC with the 165 and my DVD recorder, but my AV receiver is not a component switching model (and those models that can handle the bandwith of HD are much more expensive than mine). So either the DTV receiver switches, or the projector switches... and will take time to lock up on the various signals it receives (or have a manual setting I can input so it is ready in an instant as opposed to searching...)

The Panny 720, which is the one I like at this point, only has two D-Sub inputs, no DVI, which the better HD receiver offers. I've used DVI versus D-sub for XGA computer and noticed the difference in the rock solid performance of the image. Given the long distance from the HD or DVD to the projector, I may have to rethink my projector based on the plan for HD.

The current premise is the Panasonic DVD recorder, Panasonic digital receiver and Panasonic projector. Each one has several features that push it to the top in my mind. Then, overall, I may actually get an integrated room with just one remote. (imagine that!) But Panny doesn't offer a HD receiver. Given the XGA projector, and an HD receiver around $300, I didn't see it as much of an additional expense given the projectors can already do HD.

So many variables...

Anthony

Still workin' on the HT.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-06-2002, 10:02 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I bought a HD receiver and only use it to listen to the music stations. It has no video output whatsoever..and I can't remember where the remote is.....:)

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-07-2002, 11:40 AM

Switching is somewhat of a problem. My Sharp M20X has a S-video and DVI which I feed the component into. I run the s-video from the projector to the receiver for other video sources. The DVD component out and the HD Hughes box switch via a cheap RCA video switcher. This works OK for now. Switching must be difficult for everybody since standards are changing fast so a separate video switcher makes sense.
As for recording HD, the only way I know of is the internal HD cards for computers. They can record on the hard drive but will quickly fill up your disk. I don't look for recording HD for quite some time. The HD-DVD will be out next year but I don't think we'll see burners for it for a long time and it would take a CRAY to process the video.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page