got my vt45! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-03-2002, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally got my NEC VT45!

I also purchased the component video add-on.

I haven't used it too much yet, still finishing up my basement, but I think it will get a serious workout this weekend!

I've hooked a friend's PS2 and took Virtual Fighter 4 for a spin and wow! did it look great!

I'm wondering if there is anybody out there that is using this PJ for HDTV?

I would like to know how it looks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-04-2002, 03:27 AM

Congrats on your new toy.

I'm not using it for HDTV yet...still waiting for prices to fall some more for the converter. But I too am interested in how it would look.

I've been very happy with the quality of the image that this thing puts out when connected to a progressive scan DVD player through the component breakout cable.

Enjoy...
post #3 of 17 Old 10-04-2002, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Do you mean an HDTV Reciever? Or do I have to get another accessorie for the HDTV resolutions?

Regardless, this thing rocks! I have had the opportunity to test drive several PJ's now, and this thing easily has the best features for the price and the quality is excellent!
post #4 of 17 Old 10-04-2002, 12:59 PM

Yes....I meant an HDTV Reciever. Until prices fall below $300 for one and the programming offered (especially over DirecTV) increases to more than a few shows I don't watch anyhow....I'll hold off on making the plunge. But I am dying to see if there is any improvement in the image quality.

It's funny....this projector seems to have gotten little exposure or consideration on this forum. It's been pretty easily dismissed. But everything I've read says it will hold it's own against LCD projectors that cost twice as much.

Yes it does have the usual limitations of screendoor and SVGA resolution...but I can hardly see it except in stark white scenes.

I would like to demo this new Sharp M20X everyone is talking about though...it would be an interesting side-by-side comparison.

All that being said...enjoy this projector. It's gotten so bad for me that I no longer have any interest in going out to a theatre or a friends place to catch a movie.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-04-2002, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I think the only people that are bypassing it are the "well-to-do" folks.

But I have seen a few people show interest in it.

I'm in Canada, and I think HDTV is progressing better here, but not quite enough for me to justify the purchase price.

You know, as far as screedoor goes, I demo'd Pitch Black and I really don't notice anything at all, and the first hour of that flick is all white light! I'm only projecting 80 inches, so that might be why, but I've projected bigger then that, and I really haven't noticed screendoor. Really the only draw back is that the black levels are not very good, I mean they aren't bad either, but I've seen better, but you get what you pay for.

I think that this type of projector, is perfect for furthering the genre, it's high def on the cheap, which is what the industry needs to push HDTV to the mainstream, I mean if you're only going to project 60 inches, this thing is still better then most RPTV's out there when you compare the cost!
post #6 of 17 Old 10-04-2002, 09:33 PM

I had a chance to take a look at one of these and I think they're great for the price. Puts out a pretty nice picture and accepts EDTV and HDTV signals too!

j_goetting, just curious but how much did you get your VT45 in Canada for?

-Keith
post #7 of 17 Old 10-04-2002, 10:39 PM

I also just got a VT45 a few days ago (my first LCD projector). It seems to be a great all-round unit for the money: I can see how the blacks could be better and how more resolution would be nice for close-range viewing, but it still brings a smile to my face and I'm sure we'll get much enjoyment out of it. We previously had an older CRT model, and although it produced a smoother picture it was also a huge space-consuming beast with a dimmer picture.

I was bidding on various projectors on EBay and was also considering Price Japan (for an AE100 or something) but I ended up getting mine slighly used from a local dealer at a good price (about $1200 USD + tax, less if I qualify for the $150 rebate).

I'm busy working on a screen now and am looking forward to trying a grey screen-- I'm going to start with the screen goo primer :). Happy home theater!
post #8 of 17 Old 10-05-2002, 06:08 AM

Hi there
I got my VT45 a month ago from Directdial.com.I belive it is cheapest source in canada(mine was about C$ 2400.00 with the rebate.I also watching regular Cable tv with a "s" video out put form the roger's digital box which is not that bad.I am projecting about 72'' cross.Boy this this PJ is really good for the money.
R.Mani
post #9 of 17 Old 10-05-2002, 07:43 AM

hey raji,

nice find on the Directdial.com website! They have some of the best Canadian prices I have seen. Thanks!

-Keith
post #10 of 17 Old 10-05-2002, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sproing
hey raji,

nice find on the Directdial.com website! They have some of the best Canadian prices I have seen. Thanks!

-Keith

hi Keith ...they deliver next day!!!!! have fun
post #11 of 17 Old 10-05-2002, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, see there's a few of us using this sucker!

Anyhow, I got mine for 2200 cdn. I work for a college, so I get a little cheaper price because of educational pricing.

I'm happy with it, but I really would like to see what kind of difference HDTV would make. Svideo is fine, but when you watch a dvd and then goto svideo on your dish it show's you just how much better the resolution could be.

Hopefully in the next few years, HDTV will progress and we'll have at least a quarter of our channels coming through in that format.

So what's the deal with a grey screen? Is going to give better black levels? I'm just sanding my wall down as smooth as I can and painting a flat white over it, maybe this gray screen is better?
post #12 of 17 Old 10-06-2002, 12:15 AM

I would definately go with something gray. I've been reading the "Screen" forum for a while and LCDs, especially those like the VT45, would seem to benefit greatly from a darker screen: you get deeper blacks and a better contrast. For anything other than very large screens I think the unit has plenty of brightness to compensate for a darker screen (especially in a dark room).

Perhaps start off and play with shades of gray paint (Glidden "Universal Gray" seems to be a common choice), or have a go with LCD Gray from goosystems.com.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-07-2002, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Since you guys are all using the VT45, I am interested in your picture settings as far brightness,contrast etc...

I am using Direct TV dish currently (I know, I'm a bad Canadian) and I was using a HTPC but, I think I'm going to just be using an XBox for DVD duties, just because I only have on PC and the wife is a bit of an Internet junkie, so it becomes a hassle when we both want to use it!

But I find I'm not getting that great of picture with the dish, and I have a feeling it's my cableing.

So I want to know what you guys are using for settings on the VT45 with cable or a dish, and also what is the best level of coax from the LNB to the reciever I should be using?
post #14 of 17 Old 10-08-2002, 09:04 AM

What signal are you sending from the Direct TV to your projector? If it has S-Video you proabably want to use that signal since composite really sucks. Another problem you might be having is the deinterlacing/scaling on the VT45 may not be very good and that isn't uncommon of projectors (LCD projectors I've had also had ****** deinterlacers).

If you have a TV capture card on your PC you can try using something like the Dscaler software to see if there is an improvement in picture quality. I've had good results using this over the deinterlacer/scaler built in my PJs. Or maybe try one of the cheap TV tuner/scalers like Viewsonic's VB50 or the new Next Vision boxes.

-Keith
post #15 of 17 Old 10-08-2002, 09:49 AM

Been busy and just getting caught up. I have the VT45 and it is an awesome little projector. Been having it since about march or april. Watching HDTV on it is amazing. Cant believe an 800x600 projector can look so good. I am using a MY HD card to receive the local ABC and CBS OTA broadcast. I have calibrated with SWEP1 THX optimizer, but I really would like to use something like AVIA or Video Essentials. Some things that I have noticed. The black enhance is not a contrast enhance. In my opinion I think it makes it worst. Also, I use econo mode 2 for everything except High Def. High Def seems to look better on the brighter setting. These are the only ones I can remember because I haven't tweaked anything in months. (building a house now) I will try to get the picture settings soon. I am projecting on a 4:3 8'x6' screen (120 inch diag) Da-lite Model C Matte white.

Quote:
Originally posted by j_goetting
Since you guys are all using the VT45, I am interested in your picture settings as far brightness,contrast etc...

I am using Direct TV dish currently (I know, I'm a bad Canadian) and I was using a HTPC but, I think I'm going to just be using an XBox for DVD duties, just because I only have on PC and the wife is a bit of an Internet junkie, so it becomes a hassle when we both want to use it!

But I find I'm not getting that great of picture with the dish, and I have a feeling it's my cableing.

So I want to know what you guys are using for settings on the VT45 with cable or a dish, and also what is the best level of coax from the LNB to the reciever I should be using?

Perry
post #16 of 17 Old 10-08-2002, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

I am using svideo. I think that I also have a connector connecting two pieces of the coax going from my lnb to my reciever, which is, I'm sure degrading the quality.

I recall fidling with dscaler a while back when I was test driving the vt45 with my htpc.

I will try it again and see what my results are.

Thanks for the input!
post #17 of 17 Old 10-08-2002, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Finally, someone using HDTV with this thing!

I really want to got to HDTV but I'll have to fork out over 700 bones cdn, to get a reciever, and sattelite is the route I can go!

I'm going to see what kind of deals are happening around Christmas and see if I can't score something a little cheaper.

I'm not using that black enhance feature either, it really washes everything out. I think I'm using graphic for the filter.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page