Ae-200, Ae200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a AE-200 in hand. Tell you what., I don't know much about these things but if you guys have questions I will try my best to answer them. I will try to put some pictures of the remote and different angles of the projector up sometime this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations on your purchase! You do realize that you have opened the flood gates for questions though :) I imagine that most people would want to know how much "better" it is than the AE100 with regards to screendoor and contrast and how well the internal scaler works when feeding it directly with a DVD source via component input (maybe interlaced as well as progressive scan).

TIA

o AE100->TW100->AE300->HS10->AE500->AX100->TW700->TW3000->TW8000
post #3 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 01:52 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Looks like you're one of the first AE200 owners on this continent? Did you pre-order from Price Japan or something similar? Anyways, do tell us how things go. Do you have an AE100 to compare with? Anyways, do set it up and check the following:

1) At what distance is screendoor non-existant? 1.x screen width?
2) Is the AE200's internal scaler any better than that of the AE100?
3) Can you adjust the RGB on the inputs such as composite, component or S-video?

On the AE100, the lack of RGB adjustment on S-video and component inputs required that used connected via the VGA input for best results.

Anyways, I'm sure there will be a million quesions. Thanks for the heads up and ejoy your PJ :)
post #4 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

8.We confirmed that TH-AE200's power unit is 100-240v free volt by 12 hour's test, actually connecting 220v power.
As for Its specification and option tables, See http://www.matsushita.co.jp/corp/new...n020910-1.html(Sorry, Japanese language only)

What the Heck does that mean??? any help would be great. Kaneda's english is fun!!! It sounds good but I hope I am not going to blow this thing up or anything. ??? Help guys!
post #5 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

By the way.. friends are going to help me answer your questions. I know people that are just as interested in this thing as you are but i can't talk all this hi-flying jive! But one way or another we will tell you what we can.

Your Proud Panny Owner!!!

(Got it from PriceJ. and it got here in like 3 1/2 days! WOW
post #6 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Go here and enter that URL to have it translated to English: babelfish

Doesn't translate everything but most of it...

o AE100->TW100->AE300->HS10->AE500->AX100->TW700->TW3000->TW8000
post #7 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 02:42 PM
DRS
AVS Special Member

Kaneda is simply stating that it is a switching power supply, i.e. not limited to japan voltage standards of 100v.
post #8 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, Thanks boys. Just to let you know. If you are looking for some detailed information. take the site that Kaneda put up on his site and translate it as Xander said to. There is some information there.
post #9 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 03:47 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Cool. Ok, so have fun and just let us know how you have your setup, like what DVD player or other sources you are using, how you have them connected, just basically whether you're using component cables, the s-video or whatever, and just how it looks and how you like it. If and when you learn what screen door is all about on the Ae200 (hopefully its not too bad), try and play around to see at what distance from the screen you no longer see the grid-like pixel structure we so commonly call "screendoor" (usually measured in screen width, for example, 1.5 screen width away from an 8 foot wide screen is 12 feet).

Thanks and congratulations, I think you might be one of the first people over here with an AE200. At least you're the first one to report its arrival in your hands. How much did it cost after all costs factored in?
post #10 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 143
CPC,

aren't you interested in things like how well the ae200 does black and shadow detail or is screendoor your only concern?

I am starting to think people here are waaaay too concerned with that aspect of projectors and not the actual picture. Sure, it is nice to have as minimal a screendoor effect as possible but come on, there are way more important aspects with projectors/video than that. Would people rather have hardly any screendoor but horrible blacks, poor shadow detail and bad colour reproduction?

Maybe I am in the minority but I would much rather hear feedback on the improved contrast ratio of these new projectors as well as better colour accuracy out of the box instead of how the "screendoor" now is not visible from 1.45x screen width away vs 1.65x width away as before...but then again, I actually OWN a projector unlike most who go on and on about it so I realize it is not as big a deal as those speculators say.

Glad I am one of the few who owns a digital projector and actually watches the MOVIE instead of watching the pixel grid.:)

ROB
post #11 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 09:48 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Its like this. If the Ae200 has blacks, colour, contrast and shadow detail as good as the Ae100, then I would be happy. Clawdaddy did not mention much about comparison that concerned me in terms of the colour and contrast of the 100 vs 200. He did, however, mention that there was a noticable improvement in the reduction of screendoor going from the 100 to the 200. I was already satisfied with all the aspects of the AE100. The only thing that I would have liked improvement on, was the screendoor effect. Even if it was the same as the ae100, I'd be fine with that. I just heard there was an improvement so I'm curious to hear more about it. I'm sure we'll hear about black and shadow detail too, but thats less of a concern to me because I doubt very much that its worse on the ae200 than the ae100. As I said, as long as its as good (or better?) than the Ae100 then thats fine.
post #12 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 143
cpc,

that's cool. See, as an AE100 owner, the biggest thing I want an improvement on is the contrast ratio so shadow detail will be better. I also will assume most other AE100 owners wish the same thing as me. So with that in mind, it sort of gets frustrating to hear every single non AE100 owner ask about screendoor as if that is the weakest aspect of the ae100, which it is not. I don't think most people realize a significant increase in contrast ratio will (or should) far improve the projected image than a minimized screendoor appearance.

But hey, if you were happy with everything else of the ae100 then it makes sense to wonder about the area where you had the most concern with.

ROB
post #13 of 52 Old 10-05-2002, 11:11 PM
gks

I have to agree that screendoor is not as big a issue for me as improving color/contrast.
I've been using a telex P500 for months, with a stunning 200:1 CR and 500 lumens. Even though the picture has more gaps than Leon Spinks's smile, I've never looked at a scene and said "just give me less screen door and I'd be happy". If this thing had better blacks and color saturation, I'd run it for another 2 years.
The funny thing is, with all the new units with sexy specs to drool over, it may actually be the throw distance that pushes me to one or the other (I don't want to change my physical setup - the PJ mounts on a shelf recessed in to wall behind the couch) . I'ds have already ordered a M20s, but it's too long. The AE200/300 may be too short. Now if I could just find baby bears projector....
post #14 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gks
The AE200/300 may be too short. Now if I could just find baby bears projector....
Sounds like the 120% lens at 47,000 yen MSRP might be a good fit for you.

--Darin
post #15 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 06:39 AM
DRS
AVS Special Member

There were two main reasons I got rid of my ae100, black level and fan noise (screen door was way down there on the list). I don't see myself using the DVI port for at least a couple of years so that feature on the 300 does not interest me either. But I do want the best bang for the buck so I'm just trying to decide if the extra $500 is justified in the areas that count for me, like black level/contrast etc.

edit: I was just thinking, one of the reasons why screen door was not an issue was because of the FLD filter. I really don't care to use a filter this time around because of what it does to the color balance irregardless of adjustment.
post #16 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 12:00 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Well in that case, I guess I'd also like better shadow detail. We start from one point and move to improve. I have a 32" NTSC TV and when I watch the AE100 on a high gain screen, all I see is awesome sharp picture. I did notice screendoor like I said, but its not a major concern because I will sit back as far as I need to get rid of it. I don't need a huge screen to enjoy myself. Sometimes in the theatre, I sit quite a ways back. Anyways, if the ae200 has better contrast, which technically, it should by view of the specs, then thats another bonus. We all know the spec are nothing to take as accurate, but the point is not the individual specs, since many have said that panasonic's specs for contrast seem a tad generous. The point is that there is a relative improvement when compared directly to the ae100. At least I hope there is. At this point, I feel there is a lot of merit in a PJ with native 480p DVD resolution. Even for HDTV, as long as the downscaling is fairly good, I think these "little" upstart LCD PJ's are wicked for value. I will NEVER consider buying an RPTV anymore. A screen an LCD projector is small and compact and light. You can use them in small rooms and the list of benefits goes on.

Enjoy the AE200 and keep us informed with your general impression and how you feel about your purchase :)
post #17 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well boys. Here is what I know. NO dean pixels so that’s good!

I paid a somewhere between 15-16 hundo for it.

I got in in my hands in 3.5 days

It looks absolutely awesome to me.

I went to the Cedia. went the panny both. was hoping to view the ae100. They had a high end projector set up. I thought the screen door on it was way worse then on the ae200. sitting 1.2x away from the screen i don't think screen door can be seen and the colors look excellent to me. I was watching meet job black (old DVD). and some things bothered me. but i had been up for like 20 hours and had been drinking for a while before i got home ... i am only watching on White walls. no screen. anyways. before I went to the bars I was watching it on a different wall in a different house and we watched lord of the rings. My buddy who is a AVS member for a long time and reads these things and fallows this way more then me helped me get better picture going and wow. it was awesome boys. I am going to try and get him on here.

I am using a old cheep S-video cord right now. I have already bought a new set of component video cords. I do not have a progressive scan DVD player either. I have watched a few different DVD players on the unit though. Well boys I have to watch more. I will try to let you know. All i know is I saw plenty of Projectors at the CEDIA and this seems to kick a bunch of butt as far as i can tell!!!!! Of course it doesn't compare to the JVC stuff those guys had in that auditorium but those were something else. I will try to get my buddy up here who can talk the lingo with you fellas.

If you got the bucks.... hop on the ride boys.... you can always sell it on ebay!!!

Hot times here!!!!!!!!!

Here I have one of the 25 dollar digital cameras. Is it even worth taking some pixs to put up??
post #18 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreyoian
Here I have one of the 25 dollar digital cameras. Is it even worth taking some pixs to put up??
Sure. Even if it looks bad we will still eat it up like candy. The more info you give us the more we will want :-)

-Jens
post #19 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I was expecting this thing like friday of this week so i so not ready to have it going. I have to make this shelf. i will try to get things going asap boys/
post #20 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All i know is I saw plenty of Projectors at the CEDIA and this seems to kick a bunch of butt as far as i can tell!!!!!
What were you watching movies on before you got the projector?

-Mike Lindberg-
post #21 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I was wondering when the loaded questions were going to start to fly, Mike
post #22 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was wondering when the loaded questions were going to start to fly, Mike
Ah, it isn't loaded. :)

I'm watching DVDs on a 25 year old 19 inch Hitachi. I'm just wondering. :)

-Mike Lindberg-
post #23 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

here is a snap shot with my camera. it is a real pile of a digi camera.
LL
post #24 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Jeff,

I detect a slight trace of film grain..though the picture has a certain three dimensionality that really makes it pop!

Actually I can't tell a damn thing from that picture :)
post #25 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

i think my digital camera was like 10 bucks. here are some snap shots of the projector it self. yea clown the photos all you want gents. I am sure you will get a kick out of them. But anyways. look at them if you wish.

everything is tight with the projector. I have no complaints. It is everything I thought it was going to be.
LL
post #26 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

another
LL
post #27 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 08:53 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Wow! No screendoor! Heheh. Yeah, that camera looks like a real low res job. Oh well. We appreciate the shots anyways. Keep enjoying yer projector and keep us informed of your adventure :)
post #28 of 52 Old 10-06-2002, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
i think my digital camera was like 10 bucks.
I think you overpaid for the camera :D
post #29 of 52 Old 10-07-2002, 06:18 AM

Jeffreyoian,
Did the the projector come with an English language manual or did you find it on one of Panny other global sites? I know that we had to download one from the Australian site when the ae100 first came out.
post #30 of 52 Old 10-07-2002, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

NO the manual was straight Japanese. I just used the ae100 manual. But once we got the menu in English it was pretty much common sense to get everything working right. I am a cable guy so I am pretty familiar with TV's and how to set them up. It has picture settings. Like my receiver has for sound. Like sports, theater 1, and theater 2... I think there are like 5 in all. Each portrays a little different image. I think the picture was just awesome. Last night we were sitting not even a screen distance away and I just adjusted lens so that there wasn’t any screen door. I think I sit and stare trying to find it since you guys have me all paranoid about screen door affect. I am going to have a lot of people start looking at it. So I will keep you posted on results. Watched days of thunder last night. It was Ill!
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page