List of Dodgy & Best Retailers List - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-07-2002, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was just thinking of how helpful a consumers' list of dodgy retailers would have been for me while I was a newbie. We should develop a list of retailers which we had contact with and list them according to the following criteria: honesty, knowledge, and service responsiveness. So its pretty much more salient qualities instead of more quantifiable qualities like breadth of product range, etc. As I've mentioned before, I think people that know how to do business should be given more business and people who don't know how to do business should find another profession.

Here is my list:

City: Melbourne, Australia

Best retailers:

1. Footscray Audio (Sergio): competitive, excellent customer service and downright honest.
2 Tasman AV (Gary): best prices, courteous and patient.
3. AI Audio (only Scott is good, the others a bit of a BS artist): very frank, competitively priced but have to haggle.

Okay Retailers:

1. Carlton Audio / Visual

Below Average:

1. B&H Australia. (B&H are only after big corporate accounts so if you buy from them their after sale service may be questionable because they don't need your future referrals)

2. Sound and Vision on Chapel Street. (they will tell you anything close a sale, these guys nearly convinced me to buy some of the worst demo DLPs on the market)

3. Secher Audio. (will also tell you anything to close a sale)

4. There is a hifi shop in Wantirna. They are bad because they mainly carry Optoma and Dreamvision projectors. They are also not very responsive in following up your calls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-07-2002, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey lyndonlim,
Top idea, and as I'm in your area I'm going to take your advise and check out the ones I haven't been to already (I've been to B&H, going soon to Tasman to see the HS10.)

I'd like to add the following:
- IBS Audio Video, Malvern: helpful and knowledgeable staff, able to be bargained down, not willing to lend pjs out though

- Steve Bennet HiFi, Geelong: average staff, small range of pjs
post #3 of 4 Old 10-07-2002, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Here is a nice comparative tool for Internet sellers of all things electronic including projectors:

http://www.resellerratings.com/d.html

When you do a search on "Sharp m20" it comes up with 44 hits (priced from @1695 to over 3k) ,... and there are some "ratings" as well
post #4 of 4 Old 10-08-2002, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by builty
Hey lyndonlim,
Top idea, and as I'm in your area I'm going to take your advise and check out the ones I haven't been to already (I've been to B&H, going soon to Tasman to see the HS10.)

I'd like to add the following:
- IBS Audio Video, Malvern: helpful and knowledgeable staff, able to be bargained down, not willing to lend pjs out though

- Steve Bennet HiFi, Geelong: average staff, small range of pjs
I think believe IBS Audio Video will be the first ones to get the Sharp PLV70. I know that Tasman AV has already got the NEC LT260 in the showroom and in stock. Those guys are one of the best operators in town because they are pretty cool, casual and have the economies of scale to provide some seriously good prices.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page