Cineza HS1 vs HS2 Aspect Ratio change - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-07-2002, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new as of today. What I've read so far has been very helpful.

Can someone tell me if the following is true or a typo: The original Cineza is listed as having a native 4x3 aspect ratio. Its successor, HS2, due soon, lists specs that include a native 16x9 aspect ratio.

If true, can someone speculate as to why this change occurred? I'm interested in a low end, inexpensive 4x3 machine.

Thanks.

SK41
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-08-2002, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes the new model is 16:9, because this is the way that video equipent is heading; its closer in aspect to most DVD's and to HDTV than 4:3 is. Done properly it increases the vertical resolution, as you don't waste 25%of the pixels displaying black like a 4:3 unit does.
I think 4:3 machines will remain useful for business, but theatre is rapidly heading 16:9. Check out projectorcentral.com for a good article about the strengths and weaknesses of each.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-08-2002, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, builty. It was indeed that article and the convincing case therein that made me determine to go 4x3, being an old black and white movie fan.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-08-2002, 07:55 AM

mny two cents:

think of it this way: would you like to have the highest resolution for wide format new DVD's coming out in the last couple of years, or for washed-out old black-and-white movies or TV, both of which aren't going to look that great anyway?

the projectorcentral article talks a lot about size and practical limitations, but not about resolution. I don't mind having a smaller, less precise 4:3 image if it's going to bring me a bigger, better 16:9 image.

I mean, I'm not expert in projectors and video as a general rule, but even to me that article seemed flawed and one-sided. He really didn't emphasize the resolution loss you experience with a 4:3 projector, now did he?

Unless I'm missing something, the guy was really arguing about practical issues (how big of a screen you can fit in you room is indeed most often limited by width) when we're all looking for the best picture quality without compromise...

I say 16:9 all the way. Your old black and white movies are still going to look their best even if they're not shown in the projector's native mode.

-Seb
post #5 of 5 Old 10-08-2002, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

I think one of the problems with the WVGA projectors in the marketplace at the moment for PAL users is the resolution. People who prefer R2 Pal dvd disks at 720x576 would probably benefit from a 1024x576 panel. If you had the choice between a XGA projector compared to the WVGA projector @ 800x480 then I would always recommend the the XGA projector simply because 1024 pixels wide makes a lot of difference imho. It also allows you to display the 576 lines naturally. Even if you only watched widescreen material you could easily just mask the top of the 4:3 display and just use the bottom part and set it up with no required user interaction.

/James
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page