AVS Forum banner

UHP lamp flicker

706 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Verge2 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've been interested in projectors for a while now, but didn't want to jump in and make a purchase without any first-hand experience. Luckily, a relative of mine had a spare projector to loan me - a Sony VPL-PX1 LCD.

I'm somewhat sensitive to light flicker (not necessarily "visible" flicker). I noticed that after 5-10 minutes of viewing, I get the eye fatigue / headache feeling that I get from flickering lights. Had a look with my camera, and sure enough, there's a high frequency flicker evident.

This projector uses a UHP lamp. It's my understanding that these lamps are driven by high frequency alternating current - will all UHP projectors produce this kind of flicker? Does the flicker frequency vary significantly between models? (the 15,000+ Hz flicker of CCFL or compact fluorescent lamps do not irritate me much).

Other lamp types... OSRAM/P-VIP/UHE/UEM/E-TORL - are these actually any different?

SHP lamps are driven with direct current - will these flicker? Are these used by any modern projectors?

Interested in LED projectors, but as far as I know these are all currently DLP, which I'm pretty sure would cause the same eye-fatigue / headache issues as above.

See less See more
#2 ·
You've jumped to the conclusion that lamp flicker is inherent in all projectors, it's not.

Lamp flicker is an indicator of a malfunctioning bulb. Sometimes the remedy is to use the lamp in regular mode rather than eco-mode. This causes the arc in the lamp to re-establish the correct path between the electrodes. This works for many people with this problem, but sometimes not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.