AE200 First Impressions! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 106 Old 10-23-2002, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mike is probably watching movies constantly (I would), so I'll answer a few of the questions for him:

-It's the TH-model. The only one you can get from japan.
-The remote is English.
-The AE200 (and possibly the AE300 too) has an auto switching power supply. It can handle anything from 100v-240v 50/60hz.

-Jens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 10-23-2002, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sam

- as you've said the manual is completely in japanese? no problems to setup the whole thing?
Yenzu answered the other questions, so I'll field this one. Setup is a piece of cake. The projector's menus are in Japanese, but can easily be switched into English through the second to last menu choice (even if you go through all the menus one by one, it says "ENGLISH" for the language selection, so it is very easy).

My limited knowledge of Japanese shows that the manual is almost identical to that of the AE100, with the exception of the SD card feature and specifics on the modes of the AE200 and 300 (it is a dual manual). Shouldn't be very hard, and as always, if you have a question, post it and one of us will try our hardest to answer it. :)

-Mike Lindberg-
post #93 of 106 Old 10-23-2002, 04:27 PM

Mike,

Are you also a student at USC, if so, "Fight On"

- Patrick (at USC)
post #94 of 106 Old 10-23-2002, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Optics Man
Mike,

Are you also a student at USC, if so, "Fight On"

- Patrick (at USC)
Yep. Second year undergrad, critical studies (cinema/television) major. :)

-Mike Lindberg-
post #95 of 106 Old 10-23-2002, 09:12 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Anybody have HDTV going into their AE200's? If so, how are connected, with what receiver and what frequency? (1080i? 720p?) :) ?
post #96 of 106 Old 10-24-2002, 04:16 AM
sam

Jens, Mike:

Thanks for the information!

I thought that the TH model has a 100V power unit, whereas only the PT does have an auto switching power supply. On the specification site (following the link of **********) it's stated: AC 100V. Am I wrong? Isn't there a plate on the bottom of the machine with specifications about power supply? Would be nice to know what's written down there...

sam.

...addicted to HTPC and AE200...
post #97 of 106 Old 10-24-2002, 04:31 AM

Oficially it's just 100v, but in reality it has an universal power supply so they don't have to make a new version when they relase it in other countries. They did the same thing with the AE100.

On the Price Japan site you'll see right under the name of the AE200 that they've confirmed that it's 100v-240v. I recall that they said they actually had it running on 220v for 12 hours without any problems.

Both the PT-AE100 and the TH-AE100 had universal power supplys. The only difference was that the TH was labelled 100v while the PT was labelled 100v-240v. In reality there was no difference. A lot of people from all parts of the world imported it and ran it on their local voltage.

-Jens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #98 of 106 Old 10-24-2002, 04:49 AM
sam

Thanks mate!

I'm just about to get over my last doubts about placing an order over there...

- sam

...addicted to HTPC and AE200...
post #99 of 106 Old 10-24-2002, 11:53 AM

hi mike :) how much does it cost to you to order the 3 hklegend dvd with the shipping ?
how long does it takes to receive them ? did you order them directly from there website ? :) and finally... is the city hunter image really looks so good :) please post pictures of the city hunter dvd on you ptae200 screen :) (particulary with chingmy yau :)))) lol

did you finaly try your ptae200 with a good htpc ?
post #100 of 106 Old 10-24-2002, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chromatic
please post pictures of the city hunter dvd on you ptae200 screen :) (particulary with chingmy yau :)))) lol
Here you go:

http://www.geocities.com/michaelrlindberg/ch.htm

For those of you who haven't seen City Hunter, it has a very distinct color scheme, so the heavy colors are normal.

Anyway, the DVD is decent. It is mostly an anamorphic version of the HK DVD. Not much remastering was done and there's still a few problems with it. Overall, it is worth it if you are a City Hunter fan simply for the interviews and the commentary. The picture is a little better than the HK DVD, but it is mainly better because it is anamorphic.

I ordered from Hong Kong Legends site (www.hongkonglegends.co.uk), and it took a while because they were backlogged with lots of orders. It was £9.99 plus £2.50 shipping to the US and £.75 per DVD. That is about the best price you can get online from a US address.

Two other DVDs (Once Upon a Time in China and Project A) were backordered so I haven't received them yet. City Hunter is far from their best DVD, though. All the other HKL DVDs I have are much better. Still is very passable.

About HTPC, I haven't had a chance, nor will I unless someone wants to come out and demo one for me. I have a Mac and all attempts at getting a workable resolution for the projector have pretty much failed. 1024x768 is the one I used, but I had to use V-Scroll mode to actually get the anamorphic image in the correct spot on screen. It was a fairly detailed image, but too soft for my liking.

Someone able to deliver 856x480 on their HTPC may get much better results, though.

-Mike Lindberg-
post #101 of 106 Old 10-24-2002, 07:08 PM

Liked: 11
"Here you go:

http://www.geocities.com/michaelrlindberg/ch.htm

For those of you who haven't seen City Hunter, it has a very distinct color scheme, so the heavy colors are normal. "

Well I have never seen that movie but from the screen-shot it looks absolutely horrible! It looks washed out and as if they all have severe purple sunburns.
post #102 of 106 Old 10-24-2002, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian S

Well I have never seen that movie but from the screen-shot it looks absolutely horrible! It looks washed out and as if they all have severe purple sunburns.
Well, not only is the DVD not reference quality, but my camera is not too hot either. The other thing is that the color is very stylized throughout, and not just in purple/blue, but sometimes red and white light. I chose that screenshot because it had all four ladies in it. :)

-Mike Lindberg-
post #103 of 106 Old 10-24-2002, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Mike Lindberg... what Mac OS are you running?

I have been doing a little investigating and here are some resolution tools for the Mac you should try... I don't have my Pj yet but they work good on my Studio 21 :D

OS9 Freeware "SuperRes":
http://www.griffintechnology.com/sof...are_other.html

OS9 Shareware "SwitchRes" (10$ after a long trial period):
http://www.versiontracker.com/php/dl...&kind=1&db=mac

OSX Shareware "SwitchRes" (needs OSX 10.1 minimum)
($15 but is beta now so free)
http://www.versiontracker.com/php/dl...&kind=1&db=mac

I run Jaguar (10.2.1) and the OSX Shareware version SwitchRes (above) is FANTASTIC... not quite pure custom resolutions yet but will give you access to ANYTHING your video card is even remotely capable of producing... I have a Dual 1GIG with the GeForce4 MX and that is certainly a LOT of choices :)
post #104 of 106 Old 10-24-2002, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blitzkreig

I run Jaguar (10.2.1) and the OSX Shareware version SwitchRes (above) is FANTASTIC... not quite pure custom resolutions yet but will give you access to ANYTHING your video card is even remotely capable of producing...
I've tried it, and SwitchRes does not allow access to the same resolutions PC users are getting with Radeons. I e-mailed the author, and they said that the software couldn't do what I wanted to do.

-Mike Lindberg-
post #105 of 106 Old 10-25-2002, 05:41 AM

cool mke thank you :)

MORE MORE MORE MORE !!! ;)
lol in fact it really help me much to se pictures of movies i really know.
screenshots are always made with toy story and it doesnt tell much i think....
its nicer to have screen shot with real people :)

if you have mon screen shot of hk movies (jackie chan ?? lol), japanese or korean movies, and japanese animation it will be perfect... od you have an anamorphic animation dvd to see also ?

thank you a lot, i think im gonna order the ptae200 it seems to do the trick well...

thanks
post #106 of 106 Old 10-25-2002, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lindberg
I've tried it, and SwitchRes does not allow access to the same resolutions PC users are getting with Radeons. I e-mailed the author, and they said that the software couldn't do what I wanted to do.
Bummer..:mad:
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page