Is this normal - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-19-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is this normal

I've had my AE8000 for a couple weeks now and am loving it, but I just noticed the issue shown in the attached image. Is this normal? Can I fix it somehow? Movies look great to me, but this is also my first projector, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing because of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	431930  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-20-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justadood View Post
I've had my AE8000 for a couple weeks now and am loving it, but I just noticed the issue shown in the attached image. Is this normal? Can I fix it somehow? Movies look great to me, but this is also my first projector, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing because of this.
It's not normal. You can't fix it. Send it back.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-20-2014, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Sorry I was so brief before. Had to deal with waking up the kid.

It appears like you have a panel convergence issue. The big weakness of the ae8000 is lack of panel alignment controls. It must be aligned at the factory. There's nothing to be done by you except to contact Panasonic so you can get it replaced. Sorry. Wish i had better news for you.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-20-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Sorry I was so brief before. Had to deal with waking up the kid.

It appears like you have a panel convergence issue. The big weakness of the ae8000 is lack of panel alignment controls. It must be aligned at the factory. There's nothing to be done by you except to contact Panasonic so you can get it replaced. Sorry. Wish i had better news for you.
Thank you. I was afraid of that.

My ticket is opened with Panasonic...time to test out their customer service

Last edited by Justadood; 12-20-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-29-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

After a few rounds of back and forth with Panasonic, I was given an RMA. However, that RMA states that I'm responsible for return shipping and that if no issue is found, I may be assessed a $130-$395 charge. Is this normal?

What are the chances they'll consider this (see image) in spec?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	448050  
post #6 of 8 Old 12-29-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Panasonic has now made it clear that they think nothing is wrong. They will happily accept the projector back and charge me for shipping and evaluation.

Terrible customer service from Panasomoc and it looks like I'm stuck with this unless AGI will work with me. I'm not sure what AGI can do without Panasomoc behind them though
post #7 of 8 Old Today, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

In my habit of closing threads - Two and a half months later this is finally resolved. To be fair, there were a couple holidays in there and I gave up for about 2 weeks out of frustration with Panasonic.

The good: Panasonic ultimately replaced the main board and optical block and my projector looks absolutely amazing now. AGI took over dealing with Panasonic and convinced me just to send the projector into Panasonic because they were certain that it would be deemed out of spec - they were correct. Let me reiterate - AGI was great!

The bad: Panasonic customer service was atrocious. Absolutely terrible. They did everything they could to dissuade me from returning a projector that every unbiased person / entity believed was way out of spec. They provided absoulutely no communication during the troubleshooting process or even anything letting me know when they would be done. If it weren't for AGI, I wouldn't have even known the projector was on it's way back and wouldn't have had anyone home to sign for it. And $50 for shipping gone simply because I was shipped a defective product originally.

The worst: Panasonic didn't even tape up the inner box containing the projector - when I removed the box (that was upside down inside the outer box), the projector fell out onto the floor. No, the tape didn't come loose - there was no tape there. Thankfully it was carpet and some of the padding in the other box happened to be under the projector, but ... are you kidding me Panasonic?!?

It's such an amazing product, but I will never go through this with Panasonic again. They're off my list of purchasing options.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yikes! Note taken, do not buy Panasonic. I'm looking at the Sony HW40ES and have heard mixed reviews about their customer service. I've heard Epson's is the best. Glad you got it back and are up and running again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page