New LG PF1500 LED Projector - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 422Likes

post #3151 of 3192 Old 08-11-2017, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone use Plex on PF1500W to find the app requires sign-in every time after the projector boots up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3192 Old 08-13-2017, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyun View Post
Does anyone use Plex on PF1500W to find the app requires sign-in every time after the projector boots up?
How do you get Plex on the projector? I've never seen it on their store.
post #3153 of 3192 Old 08-13-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
How do you get Plex on the projector? I've never seen it on their store.
I downloaded it from LG Content Store. Maybe only available in some regions? My projector is on US.

post #3154 of 3192 Old 08-13-2017, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyun View Post
I use a Roku device with my 1500, and the Plex app works great. I am not required to login to the Plex app each time I turn on the projector.

Main system: Thiel 3.6 L/R speakers, Pair of Velodyne F1500r subs, B&W HTM center, Emotiva and Polk RTi 28 surrounds, Integra DHC 9.9 pre/proc, Pair of Emotiva XPA-1's, Emotiva XPA-5, Threshold SA/4e, pair of Threshold S/200's, Oracle Delphi TT w Magnepan Unitrac 1 arm and Shure V15 - Vmr, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP 83 optical disc player, Threshold T2 preamp, Denon DR-M44HX cassette, Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc. LG PF1500 led projector,Elite 100"tab tension-ed motorized screen.
post #3155 of 3192 Old 08-13-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post
I use a Roku device with my 1500, and the Plex app works great. I am not required to login to the Plex app each time I turn on the projector.
I should have said more specific that it's Plex for WebOS which is a smart TV app that you can install on your TV, or projector in this case. Seems like these TV apps are much inferior to what dedicated devices like Roku can offer, but I just didn't want to give up a single remote to control everything. But now I'm inclined to try Roku.
post #3156 of 3192 Old 08-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Liked: 1
Hi fellow pf1500 owners, is anyone experiencing the device shutting itself off? My PF1500G projector shut itself off last night. I heard the fan ramp up and shortly after it switched to standby. Now whenever I power on the device this happens after maybe 20 sec. The fan ramps up and shortly after it shuts off. Any ideas anyone?
post #3157 of 3192 Old 08-21-2017, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels Samuels View Post
Hi fellow pf1500 owners, is anyone experiencing the device shutting itself off? My PF1500G projector shut itself off last night. I heard the fan ramp up and shortly after it switched to standby. Now whenever I power on the device this happens after maybe 20 sec. The fan ramps up and shortly after it shuts off. Any ideas anyone?
Disconnect any HDMI cable from the projector. Start it up using the button on top of the projector. Still getting same behavior?
If yes, check whether both fans are spinning up or just one. I've seen auto shutdown when only one fan was connected/working.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3158 of 3192 Old 08-21-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Disconnect any HDMI cable from the projector. Start it up using the button on top of the projector. Still getting same behavior?
If yes, check whether both fans are spinning up or just one. I've seen auto shutdown when only one fan was connected/working.
Thanks for the tip! This morning after leaving it off for the night it is working fine again. Weird no? I think it could indeed be the case that only one fan was spinning. The projector sounds more loud I think. Can the fans become stuck for some reason?
post #3159 of 3192 Old 08-21-2017, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! This morning after leaving it off for the night it is working fine again. Weird no? I think it could indeed be the case that only one fan was spinning. The projector sounds more loud I think. Can the fans become stuck for some reason?
The device will power down every time when one of the fans isn't working or if it finds a critical error.
Your case sounds more like the projector getting a shut down command via HDMI CEC.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3160 of 3192 Old 08-22-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
The device will power down every time when one of the fans isn't working or if it finds a critical error.
Your case sounds more like the projector getting a shut down command via HDMI CEC.
Hi Markus. The problem was also there when nothing was connected to the device unfortunately. I was not using an hdmi cable by the way but a standard vga monitor cable. I had the problem a month ago also but for a much shorter duration. Back then I thought maybe a got a cable mixed up or something.
post #3161 of 3192 Old 08-22-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Hi Markus. The problem was also there when nothing was connected to the device unfortunately. I was not using an hdmi cable by the way but a standard vga monitor cable. I had the problem a month ago also but for a much shorter duration. Back then I thought maybe a got a cable mixed up or something.
The problem has returned again. Guess I'll have to return this device. What a shame, was really enjoying the thing.
Marc Yu likes this.
post #3162 of 3192 Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 AM

Before you return the device (if you didn't do so already...) please check the cables and connectors of the fans. Also check if dust or anything else blocks them.

Most probably it's simply a fan problem. As markus767 already said, if the projector finds that one or both speed sensors of the fans deliver too low values (or even no value at all), it instantly powers down.

The fans and their connectors can very easily removed and re-inserted (except the right connector which is a bit fumbly to re-insert, but it's no real problem). Perhaps doing this already helps, it's worth a try.
post #3163 of 3192 Old 08-31-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenbein View Post
Before you return the device (if you didn't do so already...) please check the cables and connectors of the fans. Also check if dust or anything else blocks them.

Most probably it's simply a fan problem. As markus767 already said, if the projector finds that one or both speed sensors of the fans deliver too low values (or even no value at all), it instantly powers down.

The fans and their connectors can very easily removed and re-inserted (except the right connector which is a bit fumbly to re-insert, but it's no real problem). Perhaps doing this already helps, it's worth a try.
Haven't returned it yet. Will certainly check that before returning! Thnx
post #3164 of 3192 Old 09-04-2017, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has anyone had any problems with the Voice Recognition functions? (PF1500)

Browsing the internet through the projector works fine, as does using Voice Recognition to "type" stuff into web page fields... it hears me, it converts it to text, no problems there.
I can play my movies on the Vudu app, no problem.
I'm also able to play media files from my local network, no problems.

But, while watching any video feed I simply click the voice button and say "what's tomorrow's weather?", it recognizes my voice, converts it to text (in the little on-screen box), and the avatar responds "unable to connect to the server"...

Any clues?

This is the first time I've tried to use this feature, as I bought the unit used, and had to buy an original smart remote for it... which took a while to find the right one (without paying $100US)
post #3165 of 3192 Old 09-04-2017, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It used to work, but I believe the feature was abandoned over a year ago. They probably just turned off some servers on their (LGs) side of things.
post #3166 of 3192 Old 09-06-2017, 05:38 PM

That is unbelievable that LG would treat customers like that!!!
post #3167 of 3192 Old 09-10-2017, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 102
This week at CEDIA I saw a demo of dynamic contrast adjustment using the on/off of the laser light on the Optoma UHZ65 projector. I was wondering if this was a function that the 1500 possessed and which menu item is it? The demonstrator was able to adjust the amount of impact by using a slider in the menu system.

Jack
post #3168 of 3192 Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
This week at CEDIA I saw a demo of dynamic contrast adjustment using the on/off of the laser light on the Optoma UHZ65 projector. I was wondering if this was a function that the 1500 possessed and which menu item is it? The demonstrator was able to adjust the amount of impact by using a slider in the menu system.
I looked through the documents for the chipset used in the PF1500 series, and there's no mention of Dynamic Contrast LED control. This requires frame-by-frame calculations, then R/G/B LED drive perturbations based on frame brightness requirements... that's a lot of math. Not that it's not "do-able" with today's tech, but accurately modifying all 3 LED switching current regulators in real-time isn't real predictable... as LED output isn't strictly linear with current over a wide range... and if we don't set the goal for wide range effect, then it's not going to be visually impactful enough to make it worth the extra cost.

So in answer to your question... YES, they do have a "Dynamic Contrast" function, but its operation is not modulating the RGB LEDs in brightness... it's simply forcibly expanding the onscreen contrast... make the whites - whiter, the blacks - blacker. On my unit, I can't run this setting above "Low" of the 3-step range (Low/Med/High) before it makes the image too "un-natural" for me.

The only thing that adjusts the LED brightness is the "Energy Savings" mode, which is also a 3-step adjustment. I run mine on Medium to quiet the fans a bit, because I also have the "High Altitude" function turned ON to keep the unit cooler... even though I'm only 800 ft elevation... not over 4000 feet as recommended.

I'm a bit over-cautious when it comes to heat in these projectors... mainly because it was heat that originally caused the defect in mine, which was how I got it cheap and then repaired it. Heat always shortens the life of electronic components... mostly in capacitors, but in my case it was a high power inductor that failed. I've seen several comments on LG's website for this product that there were quite a few that died with the exact same symptoms this one did... cycling ON and OFF all on their own. (I'm a long-time EE)
gregoryperkins likes this.
post #3169 of 3192 Old 09-11-2017, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtchinn View Post
I looked through the documents for the chipset used in the PF1500 series, and there's no mention of Dynamic Contrast LED control. This requires frame-by-frame calculations, then R/G/B LED drive perturbations based on frame brightness requirements... that's a lot of math. Not that it's not "do-able" with today's tech, but accurately modifying all 3 LED switching current regulators in real-time isn't real predictable... as LED output isn't strictly linear with current over a wide range... and if we don't set the goal for wide range effect, then it's not going to be visually impactful enough to make it worth the extra cost.

So in answer to your question... YES, they do have a "Dynamic Contrast" function, but its operation is not modulating the RGB LEDs in brightness... it's simply forcibly expanding the onscreen contrast... make the whites - whiter, the blacks - blacker. On my unit, I can't run this setting above "Low" of the 3-step range (Low/Med/High) before it makes the image too "un-natural" for me.

The only thing that adjusts the LED brightness is the "Energy Savings" mode, which is also a 3-step adjustment. I run mine on Medium to quiet the fans a bit, because I also have the "High Altitude" function turned ON to keep the unit cooler... even though I'm only 800 ft elevation... not over 4000 feet as recommended.

I'm a bit over-cautious when it comes to heat in these projectors... mainly because it was heat that originally caused the defect in mine, which was how I got it cheap and then repaired it. Heat always shortens the life of electronic components... mostly in capacitors, but in my case it was a high power inductor that failed. I've seen several comments on LG's website for this product that there were quite a few that died with the exact same symptoms this one did... cycling ON and OFF all on their own. (I'm a long-time EE)
Thanks for the excellent explanation. From your experience does the nature of the new laser projectors out there does it make this capability more of a possibility? For instance, LG's new HF80-JA.

Jack
post #3170 of 3192 Old 09-11-2017, 10:57 AM

In short... YES. They only use a single color light source... Blue laser diodes... so "dimming" a single light source is FAR easier to effect a "dynamic contrast" function. If you reduce the brightness of the one light source by say 27%, all resulting colors are reduced equally.

In case you aren't aware how you get Red/Green/Blue from a single source color, it's by using phosphors that are activated (stimulated) by the Blue laser color, and emit different colors. Blue light is a very short wavelength, and thus is more energetic... and can stimulate phosphors better. This is how we get "White" LEDs... the Laser chip/die is not really emitting White light... it's emitting deep Blue (near UV) light, which stimulates visible Blue and Yellow phosphors, which combine to create the "White" light output.

LG now has an Ultra-Short-Throw version of this projector, called the HF85JA... similar to the PF1000U.
post #3171 of 3192 Old 09-11-2017, 11:21 AM

I'll add this minor caveat that I "worry" about - regarding Laser-Phosphor projectors... and it's just "IMHO"...

Phosphors can "burn"... it's why old CRT picture tubes could have "image burn-in" if they were used as game system monitors, and were left on a "static" image for a long duration.

The same thing happened on Plasma TV's if they were used on news network channel with fixed-location graphics... like logos, news-ticker strips at the bottom of the screen, etc.

The phosphors dim gradually over time because they are being heated (in the case of the Laser projectors) by the high power Blue laser (typically around 2-5 watts total). With a Laser phosphor projector, you won't see "image burn-in", but you will see phosphor conversion efficiency decreasing over time... which means the entire image (or a single color) will dim... but by how much?... I would not care to guess.

This differs from native R/G/B LEDs which do not have phosphors... they emit those colors "natively", so they don't can't have the same "phosphor burn" issue. I have always been a bit confused by the short "projected LED life" in high power LED projectors... I believe the 20,000 to 30,000 hours is grossly underestimated... unless they are run at Maximum brightness, under high heat conditions.

If LG has implemented a light sensor into the unit (just before the DLP), then they can sense and correct for each color phosphor degredation over time. Many LED projectors do this automatically. I have had several Acer, Dell, Optoma WXGA projectors that will request LED calibration every 100 hours or so. They pop-up a screen at shut-down asking for permission, then it will run a test on the LED's and make brightness compensation changes as needed, and save the new data.
post #3172 of 3192 Old 09-11-2017, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In short... YES. They only use a single color light source... Blue laser diodes... so "dimming" a single light source is FAR easier to effect a "dynamic contrast" function. If you reduce the brightness of the one light source by say 27%, all resulting colors are reduced equally.

In case you aren't aware how you get Red/Green/Blue from a single source color, it's by using phosphors that are activated (stimulated) by the Blue laser color, and emit different colors. Blue light is a very short wavelength, and thus is more energetic... and can stimulate phosphors better. This is how we get "White" LEDs... the Laser chip/die is not really emitting White light... it's emitting deep Blue (near UV) light, which stimulates visible Blue and Yellow phosphors, which combine to create the "White" light output.

LG now has an Ultra-Short-Throw version of this projector, called the HF85JA... similar to the PF1000U.
So is the LG HF85 doing the Dynamic Contrast by turning the diode on and off? If so, didn't I read that the contrast was better on the 1500? Why would that be?

Jack
post #3173 of 3192 Old 09-11-2017, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If LG has implemented a light sensor into the unit (just before the DLP), then they can sense and correct for each color phosphor degredation over time. Many LED projectors do this automatically. I have had several Acer, Dell, Optoma WXGA projectors that will request LED calibration every 100 hours or so. They pop-up a screen at shut-down asking for permission, then it will run a test on the LED's and make brightness compensation changes as needed, and save the new data.
Wow! I just started a thread in the Display Calibration forum asking for this function in a black box form. I had been told about it by a Sony rep saying it was on their new 385 UHD projector. General consensus by the experts on that forum was that you needed table data from the manufacturers to do it and that they wouldn't give that info out. Wouldn't that be nice if we could do that with a Monoprice box that costs $89.95 and could perform the function along with a meter to read the bulb change over life.

Jack
post #3174 of 3192 Old 09-11-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
So is the LG HF85 doing the Dynamic Contrast by turning the diode on and off? If so, didn't I read that the contrast was better on the 1500? Why would that be?
It doesn't turn the Laser "off and on"... but dims it as the overall intra-frame video image content gets darker.

About their "published contrast ratio"... something that LG (nor most other projector mfr's) will NOT tell you... the "specified contrast ratio" is NOTHING close to real operating contrast. What that refers to is the "maximum" ratio between a Full Frame "Deep Black" signal input from a test signal generator, and a "Full White" signal.

This has nothing to do with "real picture" contrast ratio. Were you to measure ANSI Contrast ratio, you'd see that the PF1500 (what I have) gets realistically about 500:1 to maybe 700:1. This is using a 4x4 Black/White checkerboard, in a fully blackened, non-reflecting room.

Here's a discussion on this subject at Projector Central.

Why would it give so much better contrast ratio in "Full-ON / Full-OFF" conditions? A lot of that has to do with the projection lens and light path design. If you are in "Full OFF" condition, there is VERY little light available to "bounce around" inside the projector and projector lens. As soon as there is "some" light in the image, the bouncing begins!

So YES... because the projector can dim the Light Source... you should expect better real world contrast ratio... because the amount of light going through the lens is lowered during dark parts of the movie. With the 1500, the light source never gets dimmed, so some internal reflections will always be present... no matter what.

The 1500 lens design is (pardon my harshness) cr@p....but I don't really "blame" them, it's the company that they buy the light engine from... Young Optics. Not just the lens though... but the whole optical design makes high image contrast impossible... for the "OFF pixel absorber" (a DLP term for the DMD pixels that are not headed for the screen) is INSIDE THE LENS! There is a black rectangle inside the lens (immediately after the primary lens) that is supposed to "catch and not reflect" these "off pixels".
You can read more and see pictures of these issues on my PF1500 technical thread HERE.

After the primary (first) lens, they use plastic lenses. The lenses are not edge coated, and are not high quality lenses that would resist internal reflections. This is evidenced by the low "real world" contrast, as well as the bad "light spill" from the lens... meaning that the projector throws light all over the room that has nothing to do with the projected image. I have designed a simple "external solution" for this... if anyone has a desire to get rid of this "light spillage".

The Ultra Short Throw models may well use an all-glass lens, since those optics are vastly different, and are likely designed/built to much higher specs.
post #3175 of 3192 Old 09-11-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Wow! I just started a thread in the Display Calibration forum asking for this function in a black box form. I had been told about it by a Sony rep saying it was on their new 385 UHD projector. General consensus by the experts on that forum was that you needed table data from the manufacturers to do it and that they wouldn't give that info out. Wouldn't that be nice if we could do that with a Monoprice box that costs $89.95 and could perform the function along with a meter to read the bulb change over life.
The problem with doing this "externally" is that there's usually no way to turn the LED's On/Off individually. Some pj's have this in their Service Menu though, as well as per-LED calibration factors... then you have everything you need... just by using a simple light meter.

Years ago, Samsung put this into their LED DLP 1080P HDTV RPTV (yes, I tried to use as many acronyms as possible). They used a light sensor in the LED light engine, prior to the DLP. They could set the DLP to "all-OFF" mode, then test each LED, and calibrate it. You don't need some kind of a data table from the LED mfr... you just have to know that the sensor has a relatively "flat" response curve to the 3 colors, then measure them relative to one another... and make slight LED current changes as needed... probably all of about 0.2 seconds total to do this at shutdown time (so that you know the LEDs are at full operating temperature... which can be significantly different than their 'cold' performance).
post #3176 of 3192 Old 10-04-2017, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Does anyone know if LG improved the input lag from the original 1500 to the "W" refresh? The input lag of the original model is my main hold up with this projector as I would like improved lag numbers over my current Sharp 70" when I decide to upgrade my gaming setup.
post #3177 of 3192 Old 10-06-2017, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Recently upgraded the projector and while he was traveling from the United States, made wireless motorisierung adjust the sharpness of the image . When I received the projector, it was to experementirovat if (adjust sharpness) in the center of the screen, neravnomernosti sharpness across the screen is negligible, barely noticeable. But if you sharpen the edges of the screen, it showed the problem of uneven sharpness on the edges of the screen from the projectors of 1500 and 80. If you adjust the sharpness on the edge (side) image, then the opposite side is noticeably not sharp(muddy) and Vice versa. Also on the forum with this problem users were faced with other projectors 1500, 1000, 800 and a laser 80. What could be the problem, wrong set of DLP matrix (chip) or skewed or crooked mirror is set at the lens (lens) or the lens is of poor quality. You have (has) a problem with the uneven sharpness of the image? What do you think, what (the problem), you tried to fix (to fix)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5003.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2293404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5003 - копия.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	2293406  

Last edited by esegan; 10-06-2017 at 12:59 AM.
post #3178 of 3192 Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
My pf1500 also has uneven focus, but there is a sweet spot where the focus is acceptable (to me), but it's a very fine setting to adjust correctly. Just another compromise we have to accept.
post #3179 of 3192 Old 10-14-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
hi everyone
I just ordered PF1500
The max throw distance is 12.1 feet
but I ordered a 150" screen which requires
a throw distance of about 14.6 feet lens to screen

12.1 feet "max vs 14.6 feet" what I need
= I am 2.5 feet over the max throw distance
2.5 feet = 76.2 cm

would that be a major problem I have to deal with?
I don't want blurry and washed out images who does!
but on the other hand, I am only 2.5 feet over the max
which suppose to be acceptable " at least I hope so

I own a huge room with very low ambient lighting.
should I go on with the orders I made?
post #3180 of 3192 Old 10-14-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey_ View Post
hi everyone
I just ordered PF1500
The max throw distance is 12.1 feet
but I ordered a 150" screen which requires
a throw distance of about 14.6 feet lens to screen

12.1 feet "max vs 14.6 feet" what I need
= I am 2.5 feet over the max throw distance
2.5 feet = 76.2 cm

would that be a major problem I have to deal with?
I don't want blurry and washed out images who does!
but on the other hand, I am only 2.5 feet over the max
which suppose to be acceptable " at least I hope so

I own a huge room with very low ambient lighting.
should I go on with the orders I made?
Where did you get that information? It's a pretty bright projector. 150" is a pretty big screen, but you could just turn the led up to a higher mode.

Are you saying you can't get the projector any further than 12'?
Rey_ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page