New LG PF1500 LED Projector - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 422Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 3199 Old 01-15-2015, 06:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cabuxo:

I would love to see the pics of the PW800..

was there a release date??? and maybe a price??


I guess they are skipping the PW700 thats already released in Europe.
MarkTrav82 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 3199 Old 01-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: La Coruña, Spain
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
here we go

All new LG PJ



PW800





And a close capture of our star

Cabuxo is offline  
post #33 of 3199 Old 01-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
awww man. i want that.. haha.

interesting skin guard.. good for travel i suppose. did you ask anyone about the release date on the PW800?


did you see the PW700?? I didn't think it was there.. but i found this review that was posted a few days ago...it talked about the 700

http://www.projectorreviews.com/the-...from-ces-2015/

thanks!





EDIT:

i just called LG of america.. both these projectors are not listed on the LG computer system data base.. lol.. The person who i was talking too, did know the products because they visited CES but its not on the computer system. so they have no idea what the cost or when it will arrive in stores.. =( He said if the LG PF1500 was really coming out in Feb/march it would already be in the LG computer system... i guess all we can do is wait and see

Last edited by MarkTrav82; 01-15-2015 at 11:41 AM.
MarkTrav82 is offline  
 
post #34 of 3199 Old 01-15-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,947
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
Is it using the TI 0.47" TRP Full-HD 1080p chipset?

"The 0.47" TRP Full-HD 1080p display chipset will be available in early 2015 [...]"

http://newscenter.ti.com/2014-12-03-...t-applications

http://www.ti.com/product/dlp4710

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #35 of 3199 Old 01-15-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 5,508
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
The projector size, IMO, is awesome.

The issue with fan noise is not so much projector size, as it is far more common for them to build projectors that are 2" tall and need tiny fans which squeal crazy loud. Whiny little fans.

This case is slim, but tall. It may allow a 3" or a 4" tall fan that can be darn near silent, while still pulling air through it like no other. It's a much more efficient case design. Frankly, I'm damn excited (more than I should be) about that case design.

I wish, wish, wish, it had 3D, but still... Dope.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #36 of 3199 Old 01-15-2015, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,121
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Is it using the TI 0.47" TRP Full-HD 1080p chipset?

"The 0.47" TRP Full-HD 1080p display chipset will be available in early 2015 [...]"

http://newscenter.ti.com/2014-12-03-...t-applications

http://www.ti.com/product/dlp4710
So TI claims it doubles light output. Is LG simply doubling the lumen output of its current led light sources?

Wonder what real world lumens will be like
Verge2 is offline  
post #37 of 3199 Old 01-15-2015, 05:19 PM
Member
 
kennl66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTrav82 View Post
EDIT:

i just called LG of america.. both these projectors are not listed on the LG computer system data base.. lol.. The person who i was talking too, did know the products because they visited CES but its not on the computer system. so they have no idea what the cost or when it will arrive in stores.. =( He said if the LG PF1500 was really coming out in Feb/march it would already be in the LG computer system... i guess all we can do is wait and see
I remember the LG PF80G that was out in asia and europe for a year and the US version came out a year later. Also, LG America reps had no clue that the projector exists and out in other countries.
kennl66 is offline  
post #38 of 3199 Old 01-15-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 5,508
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
So TI claims it doubles light output. Is LG simply doubling the lumen output of its current led light sources?

Wonder what real world lumens will be like
The current PF80 unit uses a full size 1080p chip. TI claims the new 1080p Pico chip doubles light output compared to other Pico chips, so it's really hard to say what LG may be doing here. The use of the case, for example, may allow for a better lens which passes more light. They may have better/newer LEDs in there, they may have a cleaner optical path, and the use of the new DLP Pico chip may all contribute to deliver more lumens.

But yes, I wonder what 'real world' lumens will be like. If it deliver 800+ then it can handle a 100-120" screen in a typical home theater with no problem at all. It's getting more and more interesting all the time. Wish more of the projector players were involved in this game.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #39 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 03:03 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: La Coruña, Spain
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
working


Cabuxo is offline  
post #40 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 387
New LG PF1500 LED Projector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

But yes, I wonder what 'real world' lumens will be like. If it deliver 800+ then it can handle a 100-120" screen in a typical home theater with no problem at all. It's getting more and more interesting all the time. Wish more of the projector players were involved in this game.

Also wish more manufacturers were taking this seriously.
It's the future of front projection, for sure.

I'd assume that their 'annuity' of buyers continously purchasing original lamps (bundled with their housings) has something to do with it (deducting the bare-bulb price from manufacturer cost gives an indication of their returns): but a one-lamp-cost premium on the projector itself would make up for it (and still appeal to buyers), considering that a lot of projector owners change lamps once or so: especially on recent long-lamp-life models.

Will absolutely be keeping an eye on this model...

BenQ HT2050 Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 01-16-2015 at 03:36 AM.
kreeturez is offline  
post #41 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 04:15 AM
Member
 
travis_bickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I wish, wish, wish, it had 3D, but still... Dope.
according to http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/.../13/lg-pf1500/ 3D support trough HDMI is officially confirmed. If that implies 3D at 1080p I am totally sold and cant wait for february/march.
imbloodyskint and Cabuxo like this.
travis_bickle is offline  
post #42 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,121
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Also wish more manufacturers were taking this seriously.
It's the future of front projection, for sure.

I'd assume that their 'annuity' of buyers continously purchasing original lamps (bundled with their housings) has something to do with it (deducting the bare-bulb price from manufacturer cost gives an indication of their returns): but a one-lamp-cost premium on the projector itself would make up for it (and still appeal to buyers), considering that a lot of projector owners change lamps once or so: especially on recent long-lamp-life models.

Will absolutely be keeping an eye on this model...
The lamp thing is a crap argument. People with home theater setups, in my experience, rarely use them. Many people upgrade projectors before replacing the lamp.
Verge2 is offline  
post #43 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 387
New LG PF1500 LED Projector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
The lamp thing is a crap argument. People with home theater setups, in my experience, rarely use them. Many people upgrade projectors before replacing the lamp.

Maybe, maybe not. Guess it depends on whether it's being used as a TV replacement.

We use ours over 4 hours a day, including the Mrs/kids. Expected lamp life at that rate would be, say, 3.5 years. Every TV in our house is older than that. So I could see myself doing at least one replacement.

Have a couple of colleagues with the same projector and same usage scenario; so it'd be the same for them as well.

It's possible we're the minority, of course.

In either case, the benefit of not even thinking about lamp use at all (including being able to power off and on without second thought, TV-like) is worth something to me.

BenQ HT2050 Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 01-16-2015 at 04:30 AM.
kreeturez is offline  
post #44 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 04:47 AM
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,901
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle View Post
according to http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/.../13/lg-pf1500/ 3D support trough HDMI is officially confirmed. If that implies 3D at 1080p I am totally sold and cant wait for february/march.
Oh wow, ok now things get interesting if I can get 3D on this. As long as the noise isn't worse than my old w1070, I'm sold. (of course I will have to see it in person first).
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
post #45 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 04:51 AM
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,901
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
The lamp thing is a crap argument. People with home theater setups, in my experience, rarely use them. Many people upgrade projectors before replacing the lamp.
That may be so, but there are a ton of people out there who own the super cheap and good w1070, and are probably getting to the limit of their first bulb. What really matters is that people try and hold out for the next projector (like 4K models) but those are slow coming and it's really important to not forget that the lamp dimming over time quicker is a major picture quality annoyance. I couldn't even watch my Hobbit 2 Bluray in 3D because my lamp was dimmed down enough.

If this LG can keep the lamp brightness a lot more even over the useable lifetime of the projector, that's a major benefit.

Any ideas what the real contrast on this is like?
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
post #46 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,947
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
The lamp thing is a crap argument. People with home theater setups, in my experience, rarely use them. Many people upgrade projectors before replacing the lamp.
I'd like to use a projector as a TV replacement. Lamp lifetime is a major issue in such a use case.
dreamer, Marc Yu and RLBURNSIDE like this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #47 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 06:06 AM
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,901
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
If I buy this and it's noisy enough, I'll be taking the blower fan out of the box while under warranty and replacing it with an outboard larger one that's rated for quiet operation, and a hose. Or maybe just put it all in a new box. Hopefully the internals are better laid out than the god-awful w1070 which is a complete mess. Every single screw in the projector is a different size, hard to reach, and just generally awkwardly designed.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
post #48 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,121
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
I'd like to use a projector as a TV replacement. Lamp lifetime is a major issue in such a use case.
Great, and that is your right.


But I'm talking about the market as s whole. People just don't buy that many lamps, even less so the higher end you get.

Imo comparing lamps to the bubble jet printer ink model of generating profits isn't accurate. I would bet companies make less off of lamp sales than we perceive.
Verge2 is offline  
post #49 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,947
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
^
I knew a guy that made a living just selling projector lamps.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #50 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,636
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Any ideas what the real contrast on this is like?
At worst it'll be about the same as the Epson 8350/8345, at best it'll be a little better than the w1070 and Optoma DLPs (very slightly).
Expect average RGB DLP, around 1500:1 CR.

I'm hoping for 3D as well. The pa75u has great, smooth 3D but I understand many look past it for being a limited and 720p model..If the 1500 can bring that same great 3D to the 1080p HT crowd it would be good for all parties.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Ftoast is offline  
post #51 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 AM
 
Laredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Great, and that is your right.


But I'm talking about the market as s whole. People just don't buy that many lamps, even less so the higher end you get.

Imo comparing lamps to the bubble jet printer ink model of generating profits isn't accurate. I would bet companies make less off of lamp sales than we perceive.
My local home entertainment dealer told me the factory reps he talks to have
all confirmed to him that "bulb sale" profits are more than new projector sales
now for the last several years.

Bulb sales are the reason for the very very slow roll out of laser and LED projectors.
Laredo is offline  
post #52 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 3,121
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
My local home entertainment dealer told me the factory reps he talks to have
all confirmed to him that "bulb sale" profits are more than new projector sales
now for the last several years.

Bulb sales are the reason for the very very slow roll out of laser and LED projectors.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/review/projectorlampcosts/

#2
Most likely, though, this is the big reason lamps cost so much. There are a great number of different lamps in use in the 500 current projectors on the market. With worldwide projector sales in the 5-6 million units per year range.


I definitely agree that they make money on bulbs, but is enough to license new display technology? How much does this IP cost? I doubt it's as simple as we make it out to be.
Verge2 is offline  
post #53 of 3199 Old 01-16-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Robert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The OC
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
The current PF80 unit uses a full size 1080p chip. TI claims the new 1080p Pico chip doubles light output compared to other Pico chips, so it's really hard to say what LG may be doing here. The use of the case, for example, may allow for a better lens which passes more light. They may have better/newer LEDs in there, they may have a cleaner optical path, and the use of the new DLP Pico chip may all contribute to deliver more lumens.

But yes, I wonder what 'real world' lumens will be like. If it deliver 800+ then it can handle a 100-120" screen in a typical home theater with no problem at all. It's getting more and more interesting all the time. Wish more of the projector players were involved in this game.
It looked quite bright at CES in a somewhat dark room. Definitely brighter than my LG 70 led.
Check my pictures earlier in the thread.
Robert Clark is offline  
post #54 of 3199 Old 01-18-2015, 01:54 AM
Member
 
kennl66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post
It looked quite bright at CES in a somewhat dark room. Definitely brighter than my LG 70 led.
Check my pictures earlier in the thread.
Is the lens bigger than your PA70?
kennl66 is offline  
post #55 of 3199 Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Robert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The OC
Posts: 4,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennl66 View Post
Is the lens bigger than your PA70?
Comparing my picture to my pa70 I would tentatively say yes. I'm hoping that this one has a longer throw
Robert Clark is offline  
post #56 of 3199 Old 01-23-2015, 03:17 AM
Member
 
nasc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here are some more photos and details (in German).

http://www.heimkinoraum.de/news/neu-...-dem-markt-726

I am getting more and more interested in this projector :-)

Regards to all.
imbloodyskint likes this.

Last edited by nasc; 01-23-2015 at 03:22 AM.
nasc is offline  
post #57 of 3199 Old 01-23-2015, 04:20 AM
Member
 
travis_bickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
this article says the expected release is in june

thats a bummer
travis_bickle is offline  
post #58 of 3199 Old 01-23-2015, 05:24 AM
Member
 
nasc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle View Post
this article says the expected release is in june

thats a bummer
I have missed release date in all this excitement :-( that is a real bummer ....
nasc is offline  
post #59 of 3199 Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 2,557
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasc View Post
I have missed release date in all this excitement :-( that is a real bummer ....
See first post.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #60 of 3199 Old 01-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
skylab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Woodbourne-Hyde Park, Ohio
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Searched and found a pf1500 at newegg : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...7892-_-Product


Unfortunately, not a projector. Must be newegg's way of pulling a cruel joke on us. This thing can't come out soon enough.
skylab is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off