New LG PF1500 LED Projector - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 422Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 3192 Old 01-23-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 3,286
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Guess it depends on whether it's being used as a TV replacement.

We use ours over 4 hours a day, including the Mrs/kids. Expected lamp life at that rate would be, say, 3.5 years. Every TV in our house is older than that. So I could see myself doing at least one replacement.

Have a couple of colleagues with the same projector and same usage scenario; so it'd be the same for them as well.

It's possible we're the minority, of course.

In either case, the benefit of not even thinking about lamp use at all (including being able to power off and on without second thought, TV-like) is worth something to me.
If you are in a minority, then I must be in an even smaller group. My W1070 is 2 months old and now has 510 hrs on it. At that rate, I'll be replacing the lamp in less than two years and probably replaces it three times before replacing the projector.

*********************
Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
dreamer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 3192 Old 01-26-2015, 01:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: La Coruña, Spain
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasc View Post
Here are some more photos and details (in German).

http://www.heimkinoraum.de/news/neu-...-dem-markt-726

I am getting more and more interested in this projector :-)

Regards to all.

built in 3D!!



A/VPASSION likes this.
Cabuxo is offline  
post #63 of 3192 Old 01-26-2015, 05:54 AM
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,901
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
It's got 2D to 3D and frame interpolation!! I wish someone would tell us what the contrast is like, so I may hold off on buying the Benq HC1200

I guess we'll have to wait till june to find out.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
 
post #64 of 3192 Old 01-26-2015, 07:12 AM
Member
 
cruz878's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Do we know if the U.S. Release date is June? Or will it be like the other projectors lg puts out in that us is 6-12 months behind?

I was planning on upgrading to a pf85u but will definitely hold out for this if June is realistic.
cruz878 is offline  
post #65 of 3192 Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz878 View Post
Do we know if the U.S. Release date is June? Or will it be like the other projectors lg puts out in that us is 6-12 months behind?

I was planning on upgrading to a pf85u but will definitely hold out for this if June is realistic.
The LG rep in the booth said Feb/March at Best Buy, who carries the PF 85 now. The June date was published in the Germain web site so that is probably the European delivery.
cruz878 and A/VPASSION like this.

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #66 of 3192 Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Member
 
A/VPASSION's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
The LG rep in the booth said Feb/March at Best Buy, who carries the PF 85 now. The June date was published in the Germain web site so that is probably the European delivery.
Thanks Jack. Booth u visited in US? Just to make sure
A/VPASSION is offline  
post #67 of 3192 Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by A/VPASSION View Post
Thanks Jack. Booth u visited in US? Just to make sure
At CES in early January in Las Vegas.
A/VPASSION likes this.

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #68 of 3192 Old 01-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Member
 
speedman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't see a antenna connection. Please tell me there is one.
speedman is offline  
post #69 of 3192 Old 01-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
obscuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman View Post
I don't see a antenna connection. Please tell me there is one.
The pics I saw show the connector in the back along with a second HDMI connector.
obscuro is offline  
post #70 of 3192 Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
indio22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland area
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
The LG rep in the booth said Feb/March at Best Buy, who carries the PF 85 now. The June date was published in the Germain web site so that is probably the European delivery.
Wow, Feb/March would be cool. Hopefully not too expensive. I am cautiously excited about this projector. Least-ways I hope it pushes the industry in general further towards increased LED light source projectors, seems like there has been foot dragging. My LG PA70g has been such a great purchase for my families usage pattern (mega hours/lots of on-off/kids messing with it). If the price were right jumping from 720p to 1080p with decent light output increase, I could be convinced to do an upgrade. Love LED light source - I never think about the bulb. I agree with what some others have suggested - the more box-like form factor even with the smaller size could enable better/quieter cooling with larger diameter fans than the flatter type units.
indio22 is offline  
post #71 of 3192 Old 01-26-2015, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post
Wow, Feb/March would be cool. Hopefully not too expensive. I am cautiously excited about this projector. Least-ways I hope it pushes the industry in general further towards increased LED light source projectors, seems like there has been foot dragging. My LG PA70g has been such a great purchase for my families usage pattern (mega hours/lots of on-off/kids messing with it). If the price were right jumping from 720p to 1080p with decent light output increase, I could be convinced to do an upgrade. Love LED light source - I never think about the bulb. I agree with what some others have suggested - the more box-like form factor even with the smaller size could enable better/quieter cooling with larger diameter fans than the flatter type units.
Read Post #1 to see price and lumens.

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #72 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 05:07 AM
Member
 
speedman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman View Post
I don't see a antenna connection. Please tell me there is one.
The pics I saw show the connector in the back along with a second HDMI connector.
Looking at the picture on post #62, I don't see the connection for the antenna . Where is it located?
speedman is offline  
post #73 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 06:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: La Coruña, Spain
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman View Post
Looking at the picture on post #62, I don't see the connection for the antenna . Where is it located?

look my quote on that post

anyway here it is

Cabuxo is offline  
post #74 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
OK folks, is this the LED projector that we have finally been waiting for after many years of waiting and past projectors that teased us of what could be ?
Me like this projector, that is ? If I can afford it.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
post #75 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Member
 
RonKnox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN USA
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Really big home cinema in darkened rooms, not just home video screens

I have been thoroughly enjoying my LG PA70G LED projector for quite a while now, in a totally darkened dedicated home theater room (windows blocked out), on a 120 inch basic Elite widescreen, a manual pull-down that I leave down all the time, with input sources of a Yamaha HDMI 5.1 receiver, Panasonic blu-ray player, and WDTV media player. The overall cinema experience I get watching with friends is still better than any 4K (well, we know it's really 2160P) UHD TV, I've seen in stores. Oh, for sure, 4K, and 1080P flat screens far exceed the LG PA70G in terms of specs of lumens, contrast ratio, etc, (I know that) but the actual impact of the huge 120 inch widescreen I'm getting from the LED projector is still more cinematic than those relatively small screen sizes. This LG PF1500 is the first new LED projector that I would get as a real upgrade to the trusty "old" LG PA70G! Some people delight in their 50",60", or a bit larger 2160P, i.e. "4K" TVs, and I get that they enjoy it, but that size is not nearly large enough to me to consider it home cinema; this is a personal preference though, I know, but I believe that there are some really large screen (at least 90', 16:9 or larger) home projection fans out there!
RonKnox is offline  
post #76 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The LG PF1500 , Life is good with this promising projector.
OK folks , could this be the LED 1080 P that we have been finally been waiting for to break the ceiling of what could be from a LED projector.
Me like this projector, that is if I can afford it.
Love the case format to with the room for the lens in the middle, room enough after the warranty has expired to experiment with more fans, or put a refrigerator/freezer to put your goodies like beer, food, what have you when watching a movie.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
post #77 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Sorry, sorry the double posts, broswer problems.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
post #78 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I signed up for this topic! Definitely looking forward to it. I am a little surprised they didn't do an internal power supply though, I'm going to have to mount that power brick to the ceiling or something.

Let's hope this bad boy actually drops in March.
Latitude22 is offline  
post #79 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Member
 
speedman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for your response. Glad to see the connection is there.
speedman is offline  
post #80 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Senior Member
 
indio22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland area
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Read Post #1 to see price and lumens.
Problem is the quoted lumens and the actual lumens for a good picture can be two different things. So we probably won't know for sure the effective lumens until the projector is released and tested. Also the price can change from the pre-release quoted price. For example, the PA70g was initially supposed to be in the $800 to $1000 range, but suddenly appeared at Fry's Electronics for $450, which is the price I paid. My hope is that the PF1500 is not too far off the quoted lumens, and drops down from the $1000 target.
indio22 is offline  
post #81 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
indio22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland area
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKnox View Post
I have been thoroughly enjoying my LG PA70G LED projector for quite a while now, in a totally darkened dedicated home theater room (windows blocked out), on a 120 inch basic Elite widescreen, a manual pull-down that I leave down all the time, with input sources of a Yamaha HDMI 5.1 receiver, Panasonic blu-ray player, and WDTV media player. The overall cinema experience I get watching with friends is still better than any 4K (well, we know it's really 2160P) UHD TV, I've seen in stores. Oh, for sure, 4K, and 1080P flat screens far exceed the LG PA70G in terms of specs of lumens, contrast ratio, etc, (I know that) but the actual impact of the huge 120 inch widescreen I'm getting from the LED projector is still more cinematic than those relatively small screen sizes. This LG PF1500 is the first new LED projector that I would get as a real upgrade to the trusty "old" LG PA70G! Some people delight in their 50",60", or a bit larger 2160P, i.e. "4K" TVs, and I get that they enjoy it, but that size is not nearly large enough to me to consider it home cinema; this is a personal preference though, I know, but I believe that there are some really large screen (at least 90', 16:9 or larger) home projection fans out there!
Ditto. I was just commenting again the other day to my wife that the PA70g has been one of the best items I ever bought, in terms of cost/fun ratio. There are several factors that make a display device enjoyable, but one key factor for me is the big screen. Even though our 47" TV is 1080p and the projector is 720p - all our movies are watched on the projected 100" screen. People come over who are use to watching smaller TVs and are wowed when I put a movie on the projector. After I tested the Xbox with the projector, the kids begged to leave it there. I am a huge projector fan from owning the PA70g projector. Only regret is I waited so long to finally buy a projector.
RonKnox likes this.
indio22 is offline  
post #82 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I maybe in the minority however I prefer the electrical cord and power supply brick over the internal power supply for the reasons that a internal power supply would create more heat, and the fact that if the external power supply goes bad it's much easier to replace.
Either way you still have to run a cord to the projector..
I suppose if you can get a power supply brick that you can disconnect on both sides of the brick then a longer cord from the projector to the brick can be supplied.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
post #83 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Member
 
LeonZA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I also prefer an external power supply. I was a little disappointed when I got the PF85U and saw that it had an internal power supply.
LeonZA is offline  
post #84 of 3192 Old 01-27-2015, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,907
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked: 1625
^
In my opinion having less boxes is better but having a quiet projector is more important. If having an external power supply makes the projector run cooler, so be it.

I'm just hoping they are also offering a no-frills version of the projector - no built-in "Smart TV" features and no tuner.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #85 of 3192 Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post
Problem is the quoted lumens and the actual lumens for a good picture can be two different things. So we probably won't know for sure the effective lumens until the projector is released and tested. Also the price can change from the pre-release quoted price. For example, the PA70g was initially supposed to be in the $800 to $1000 range, but suddenly appeared at Fry's Electronics for $450, which is the price I paid. My hope is that the PF1500 is not too far off the quoted lumens, and drops down from the $1000 target.
It's predecessor's(PF85) price in US was $1,299 I believe and was never advertised for less than $1K. The rep clearly said the US price was $995 or $999 so don't expect it for much less through its early life. If the lumens drop after calibration similar to the PF85 then it will end up around 800. Speaking of calibration, we looked at the picture menu and could not find an "Advanced Picture" menu choice. I hope that it is buried in there some place.

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #86 of 3192 Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
 
monakh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Lahore | Manama | Washington
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude22 View Post
I signed up for this topic! Definitely looking forward to it. I am a little surprised they didn't do an internal power supply though, I'm going to have to mount that power brick to the ceiling or something.

Let's hope this bad boy actually drops in March.
Welcome to AVS!

I used the Scotch double-sided tape to stick my PA70's power supply on the wall. The PJ is hanging off of a mount in my kid's room and it doesn't look bad at all. He uses it with his Wii-U and loves the set-up!
monakh is offline  
post #87 of 3192 Old 01-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If these external power supplies are similar or close to what the Sony PlayStation's external power supply are, then ? There are female ports for the electric cords on both sides, one cord for the 110 volt going to the power supply and I take a good guess it's 19 volts coming from the power supply.
I would buy the longest 19 volt cord that is compatible with that power supply and run it from the projector to whatever like a book self or AVS rack.
I certanlly would use something much stronger than Scotch tape to hold that electrical cord/power supply, perhaps ? Velcro ? A home made bracket ?
If some are skilled at home improvement stuff open a hole in the ceiling or wall and run the cord through the ceiling.
I am loving the form factor of this white bread box looking projector with enough room inside to put a refrigerator/freezer inside for beer, foods, drinks....
I'd wait until the warranty has expired to satisfy my curiosity to see what it really looks like inside or wait until a review of this projector comes out that dismantles the whole projector like the one review that was here on AVS about the PA70G.
Either way, with this projector the PF1500 we see that a lot of air is or can,be moved through the parts that get hot, that's a good thing..
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
post #88 of 3192 Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,407
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3864 Post(s)
Liked: 3950
this should be the new 1080p chip they are using in this model

http://newscenter.ti.com/2014-12-03-...t-applications

Key features of the 0.47" TRP Full-HD 1080p display chipset include:
  • Full-HD resolution delivers sharp, clear images and compact size enables end-user products in many form factors.
  • Low power consumption allows for use in battery-powered applications, such as mobile projectors and wearables.
  • Proprietary TI DLP® TRP architecture and adaptive DLP IntelliBright™ suite of algorithms can deliver up to 100 percent higher brightness or up to 50 percent lower power consumption than previous DLP Pico™ chipset architectures. DLP TRP architecture delivers twice the resolution of its same-size predecessor.

If they are claiming 1400 and end up with around 800-900 @ D65 that would be great. I plan on picking this up as soon as it's released in the US and will add it to our projector shootout in the 3K+ forum.

I use the original QUMI for watching TV at night and looking forward to replacing it with this model.
zombie10k is online now  
post #89 of 3192 Old 01-28-2015, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
this should be the new 1080p chip they are using in this model

http://newscenter.ti.com/2014-12-03-...t-applications

Key features of the 0.47" TRP Full-HD 1080p display chipset include:
  • Full-HD resolution delivers sharp, clear images and compact size enables end-user products in many form factors.
  • Low power consumption allows for use in battery-powered applications, such as mobile projectors and wearables.
  • Proprietary TI DLP® TRP architecture and adaptive DLP IntelliBright™ suite of algorithms can deliver up to 100 percent higher brightness or up to 50 percent lower power consumption than previous DLP Pico™ chipset architectures. DLP TRP architecture delivers twice the resolution of its same-size predecessor.

If they are claiming 1400 and end up with around 800-900 @ D65 that would be great. I plan on picking this up as soon as it's released in the US and will add it to our projector shootout in the 3K+ forum.

I use the original QUMI for watching TV at night and looking forward to replacing it with this model.
The TI site says availability in early 2015. The rep said available at Best Buy in US in Feb/March timeframe. These two statements do not sync up unless LG has development chip available to them by mid-2014 I would think. Is this early availability common within the industry working with TI new products?

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #90 of 3192 Old 01-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post
Welcome to AVS!

I used the Scotch double-sided tape to stick my PA70's power supply on the wall. The PJ is hanging off of a mount in my kid's room and it doesn't look bad at all. He uses it with his Wii-U and loves the set-up!
Yea I am thinking i could do something similar, but stick it to the top of the mount, probably wouldn't even be noticeable.
Latitude22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off