New LG PF1500 LED Projector - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 422Likes

post #1441 of 3199 Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim Skubilin View Post
About colors - they bad out of box at any mode, so I will buy calibrator later.

They are not too bad in Expert Mode wih CT set to "warm"

Regards,
Ekki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 3199 Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post
They are not too bad in Expert Mode wih CT set to "warm"

Regards,
Ekki
Ekki, would you mind posting your calibration numbers? I think many of us could benefit.

Jack
post #1443 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading all the pros and cons posted here is it fair to say that the biggest selling point of this LED projector is its pre-calibraton advertised brightness of 1400 lumen which seems to drop considerably after adjustments for tv/video watching? Other than that we read a lot of "wish it had" stuff people would have liked. I'm happy with my AAXA M4 which lacks many features and wish it had the LG's brightness so I know you can't please everyone but are there any other LED pj's already here or rumored to be coming on the market soon with similar lumen and some of the missing "wish it had" features?

post #1444 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
After reading all the pros and cons posted here is it fair to say that the biggest selling point of this LED projector is its pre-calibraton advertised brightness of 1400 lumen which seems to drop considerably after adjustments for tv/video watching? Other than that we read a lot of "wish it had" stuff people would have liked. I'm happy with my AAXA M4 which lacks many features and wish it had the LG's brightness so I know you can't please everyone but are there any other LED pj's already here or rumored to be coming on the market soon with similar lumen and some of the missing "wish it had" features?
With all due respect the AAXA M4 is an 800X1200 with Max 800 Lumens. 20,000 Hr. LED?

The LG is a real home theater 1080P X1400 Lumens out , sealed light engine
and full CMS. 30,000 Hr. LED.

Cannot categorize to compare these models. the LG is way above the picture capabilities between these two?

Will the future add to our "wish list" it will and always has.

The LG PF1500 is a "breakthrough" product. Nothing really to compare it to in the market.
It is the first of it's kind in many ways, especially the Network capabilities!

I'm the sure the Next Gen will get even better.
post #1445 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can guarantee you they are not even close!

Jack
post #1446 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 04:08 PM

I wasn't comparing the 2 projectors I know the LG has to be better but financially I was looking for meaningful reasons to justify making or not making the switch) that I (or anyone else contemplating an upgrade for that matter) won't regret in 3-6 months when the next best thing comes out with some key missing features included. I was using my M4 as a base point to express a degree of satisfaction/dissatisfaction to upgrade or not but it could just as easily been a similar lumen but better featured Viewsonic PLED-W800, an Optoma ML800 lumen 3D ready pj or any of the 700 lumen models. btw) I also own a 720p Benq TW523p lamp pj just to watch 3D movies but it would be great to have an all-in-one model.

Some upgrades are absolutely critical others are just nice to do. For example when I went' from an occasional use comparatively monster sized vacuum cleaner level fan noisy Eyeshot lcd panel native 800-600 4:3 150 watt mercury lamp projector to the M4 that was a giant step up. Watching HD sources on the M4 (at 1080p/i or 720p (input) is a joy compared to when it's down-converted to svga via vga for the much dimmer Eyeshot.

What I looked for when reading the thread were posts that would make it worth the jump at least in this generation. "breakthrough" and words like that... show a certain measure of awe by the owner but I'm looking for the checks and balances. There were a lot of excited people initially when they 1st got a hold of one but then mention of "lacks" and "wished for things" started to show up as they fit the projector in their home environment.

There seems to be similar dislikes or "wants" in this "revolutionary" projector in spite of its 1080p res and higher brightness. e.g. No lens shift, minor optical zoom and manual focus all of which affect placement (all controlled by remote would be desirable too). No 3D which I consider necessary. Still too much fan noise (possibly more pitch than decibel) as reported by some except in medium mode or lower. A significant drop in brightness when properly calibrated (not uncommon).

Of course 1080p is an upgrade if you have a 720p or less res model that's probably a given at certain sizes and distances. 1400 raw lumen offers more initial brightness to work with so that is a strong selling point especially if you need the larger screen size. The price point is good if you live in the USA but in Canada not so much.

So I'll add to my original comment:

Is it fair to say that the biggest selling point is the raw 1400 lumen, the 1080p resolution and for those in the right country a decent price point?

The kind of irks and lacks that were reported overshadow the good points in the long run. I'd be more tempted if this was a 1st purchase but as an upgrade I think I've decided to wait it out.

Last edited by gumshoe; 06-03-2015 at 04:14 PM.
post #1447 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If I were you I would wait it out. Your standards are way to high. For me and many others, feel that the 1500 fits their needs. I'm very happy with using the 1500 as my everyday viewing PJ, and from what you have mentioned in your post you can't do that with out burning out your bulbs. Have fun with your casual watching with your current gear.
post #1448 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
I'm not going to disagree with @gumshoe on this one. People get really defensive of the PF1500. Like, crazy defensive. It has a LOT of room for some pretty significant improvement. It certainly has been shown that it feels most comfortable at 120" and under. Very limited zoom, no lens shift, black borders around the image, very weak lag time results, no 3D.

So, those are all items which certainly people who own a projector already should feel like they may want and can ask for in a new projector.

But, if you do NOT own a projector right now, don't game, and don't care about 3D, then the PF1500 is the 120" and under no-brainer IMO. As long as it works in your space, it delivers an image that is comparable to the W1070, with a bunch of cool built in features that would cost you a solid $60 to get out of an aftermarket product (WDTV for example).

No, I'm not hating on the PF1500. To the contrary, it's really awesome. But before ANYONE recommends one, you better ask that person if they can live with the limitations that go along with it.

If you have one, and you can live with those limitations, then you are likely a very satisfied customer, because it's a darn good looking projector.

I returned mine. I could not live with the compromises.
Rob-Houston likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #1449 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman View Post
If I were you I would wait it out. Your standards are way to high. For me and many others, feel that the 1500 fits their needs. I'm very happy with using the 1500 as my everyday viewing PJ, and from what you have mentioned in your post you can't do that with out burning out your bulbs. Have fun with your casual watching with your current gear.
Actually my everyday use tv replacement 20,000 hour 3 led rgb projector used for 10 hours a day will last about 5 1/2 years and it will only drop to 70% of original brightness by then. Since I use it mostly in eco mode it could theoretically last a lot longer if I move it to standard or bright mode at that time to reclaim the lost brightness. That said I don't expect to have it that long before the next gen higher lumen PJ comes out with the features I hope for.

I'm not knocking those who bought the LG and are satisfied if it's their 1st LED pj or are coming from a 300 lumen or less pj then I understand. If they are one who likes to be on the cutting edge then that too is understandable. Everyone has their reasons for buying or passing on something. It's just that since owning the M4 I found that a few features it lacks are important to me and many were mentioned here in this thread as not included in this version of the PF1500 so there is no sense making the jump just for the increased lumen and the increased resolution which would be negligible improvements at the size and distance I watch at which is at most 92" or less depending on placement at about 9-10 feet viewing distance in a light controlled environment.

peace
post #1450 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 122
If you want to be on the cutting edge AVS should introduce a new category, sub-$3000K and super-$3000K, lol. An LG is not gonna cut it, I am affraid. Rumors are that the Dolby branded Christie HDR projector is (close to) 2 million, no idea if that would be CAN$, US$, or Euro;-). Hence the revenue share business model offered to theater owners by Dolby, as the build of a 350 seat Dolby Cinema cost €2 Million, without the Dolby Vision projector.

I am sticking to my little Sony 1001 for now;-).
post #1451 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 PM

@donaldk
Maybe cutting edge was the wrong phrase to use in the context of the PF1500 rather I could have said "First in" .

Again I would never knock those who go 1st or how the heck would you learn all the ins and outs if nobody bought. Besides who can complain when not so long ago I was begging for information, pics and videos and must admit the posts were very helpful and the vids and pics look fantastic. It's still a wonder why LG would bring out 3 separate models for each market US-EU-Korea when they could have chosen the best features and packaged it all in 1.

Thanks to all who contributed and continue to do so.
post #1452 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
@donaldk
Maybe cutting edge was the wrong phrase to use in the context of the PF1500 rather I could have said "First in" .
No cutting edge is correct. This model is like no other that has ever been on the market period!
"First in", is humorous but implies something else entirely!

This is a "state of the art breakthrough projector for this time period". I am enjoying the hell out of it.
Very glad I bought it! I have two Epson 6500UB's in my closet and haven't missed them at all. They are
great projectors.

Hmm m, why do the owners of this model like it so much? Maybe I should have waited for future better improvements?
Hell, I waited long enough for this one. For less than $1,000.00 it has to be upsetting to it's many competitors.

This is not my first projector or my first rodeo. Break-thru must mean something different to dilettante enthusiasts?
post #1453 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

LG has always done this with its LED projectors it seems, unfortunately. But this time it isn't just an ATSC tuner or something secundary, but the heart and the primary function of the projector, the mainboard and the signalpath through it, and the lightpath following it, resulting in notably lesser performance.

Where the original US model could do with a stacked lightengine, the Euro version is measured as low as 550 lumens with correct colours. Ekki at Cine4Home had first reviewed the selected pre-production unit of the US version that was good colour out of the box and still provided 1100 lumens (700 matching the Rec. 709 standard), so interesting, the EU retail version tested by Gregory (Kraine here) only does half that, so hang on to your CRTs;-(.
post #1454 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 387
New LG PF1500 LED Projector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creditcardman View Post
Very glad I bought it! I have two Epson 6500UB's in my closet and haven't missed them at all. They are
great projectors.

In fairness, pretty much any current sub-$1k projector should best the 8-year-old 6500UB. Calibrated, that unit only hit around 700 lumens in its best picture modes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
LG has always done this with its LED projectors it seems, unfortunately. But this time it isn't just an ATSC tuner or something secundary, but the heart and the primary function of the projector, the mainboard and the signalpath through it, and the lightpath following it, resulting in notably lesser performance.

Where the original US model could do with a stacked lightengine, the Euro version is measured as low as 550 lumens with correct colours. Ekki at Cine4Home had first reviewed the selected pre-production unit of the US version that was good colour out of the box and still provided 1100 lumens (700 matching the Rec. 709 standard), so interesting, the EU retail version tested by Gregory (Kraine here) only does half that, so hang on to your CRTs;-(.

It's certainly somewhat mystifying. The original pre-production LG PF1500 US model hit 1100 lumens without calibration (that's a very respectable number by most accounts; especially for smaller screens - or larger ones in very dark rooms). Better yet, it calibrated to comfortably over 700 lumens.

But then the post-release US model dropped quite significantly to 950 lumens maximum.

And then the EU model is a further 150 lumens less than that already-lower figure:

Quote:
We measured two different US models:

- The frst one was the best (see our preview back then on CIne4Home) with 1100 / 750 lumens.
- Second one was still ok (950 Lumen max, 700 lumens calibrated). This is pretty much matching the results of ProjectorCentral.

We also measured two EU-models

- Both are around 800 lumens max and 610 lumens calibrated.

Regards,
Ekki

I was hoping the sub-1400 lumen brightness of the pre-production model would be lower than the finished product: but the opposite is the case instead; and the finished product is now actually further away from its brightness claim, not closer.
LG is breaking new ground here (this is still the brightest LED in this price bracket): but what could the reason for the numerous reductions be? Might they be worried about the longevity of the light source driven at full power? (This is their first Osram-powered LED projector). Did they find it was getting hotter than intended with the relatively simple cooling system in place? Or is it just firmware bugs that have crept in?

At least one enthusiast has taken this up directly with LG:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-94-13845-19.html
(post #915 )

LG have responded that they consider such large brightness discrepancies abnormal since manufacture of the regional models takes place at the same factory - and are looking into it.

Guess we'll find out soon enough!
K783 likes this.

BenQ HT2050 Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 06-03-2015 at 08:22 PM.
post #1455 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, the primary electronics of the EU model is different from the US model, so there is some difference to be expected from that. Review samples are often hand picked, pre-production samples are hand built,or at least touched up. Also one would want to max performance for stress testing, prodcution units should last longer, and therefor are not tuned.

Actually the Reply from LG Deutschland reads slightly different, they say they don't know why there is a difference in components, as the products are designed at HQ, and not regionally. Duh I would ad. Clearly the answer is not by a knowledgable person in Germany, as he or she would have known about this or could have asked, those Korean developers/team/product leaders used to come over for tradeshows, when LG was still showing (LED)projectors. Perhaps at IFA this is stll the case, but I never attend that show.

Now Ekki, please do that and replace the OSRAM LEDs, preferably in the older 0.65" LG platform and give us some lumens;-). I am sure it would sell;-).

Last edited by donaldk; 06-03-2015 at 10:06 PM.
post #1456 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=kreeturez;34741937]In fairness, pretty much any current sub-$1k projector should best the 8-year-old 6500UB. Calibrated, that unit only hit around 700 lumens in its best picture modes...

Not any sub $1K projector will best my old Epson. I wish you were right and that would save me money.
The 8 year old Epson 6500UB with a new bulb was rated at 1600 Lumens. If it is 700 Calibrated, It still had a great picture with excellent blacks to beat!
I was going to replace it with the Sony HW-40 or Epson 5030. I could find nothing under $2,000.00 that looks as good as the old Epson 6500UB.
I tried several other models I sent back.

So, when I say the LG PF1500 for less than $1K is decent that comes with a lot of trial and errors and changing failed bulbs.

My best guess, in a few years it will all be Laser anyway.
post #1457 of 3199 Old 06-03-2015, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman View Post
For me and many others, feel that the 1500 fits their needs. I'm very happy with using the 1500 as my everyday viewing PJ, and from what you have mentioned in your post you can't do that with out burning out your bulbs. Have fun with your casual watching with your current gear.
reading through this thread, I'm not sure what folks were expecting from a $900 projector. For my use, it exceeds my expectations and replaced my 4 year old 720P QUMI LED for watching TV at night. The sleep timer is a nice feature. I also like being able to turn it on / off like a TV. The boot time is fast and shutdown is instant.

The D65 lumen output is higher than the $3500 Optoma HD91, so from my perspective, a portable projector that can put out the same lumen output is impressive.

3 lbs. 1080P w/ square pixels. LED @ 73 watts max. Bluetooth out. Miracast/WIDI. Excellent media player. this little setup would have been science fiction not too long ago.

post #1458 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 356
As stated before, those looking for a light cannon with deep blacks for movie watching only may want to look elsewhere. However, as a true TV replacement plus movie watching this unit is a game changer.

Now you have the option to watch a big screen for up to 8 hours day without fear of bulb dimming or failure. This opens up a new realm where one device plus large screen can be used for shows, movies, computer monitor, and console gaming on a daily basis without time constraint.

To this end, the projector should be a seen as a trailblazer which will most likely usher in future led units with better specs over the next few years.

The guys who continue to down talk this unit are those who are looking through old school conventional lenses of using this in a dark room for a few hours per week for home theater.

It can be so much more than that. It is ahead of it's time so it will be a while before people understand it's a all in one viewing unit.

Last edited by Swolephile; 06-04-2015 at 01:14 AM.
post #1459 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Folks.

Thanks for this excellent thread. English is not my first language, hence kindly excuse any mistakes.

After considering for about a year (maybe more) I finally decided to go for a projector. I came across this thread and decided to go for PF1500, as my first projector, as a big fan of 3D, I went for the Korean version . Atleast to me, this projector gives an excellent picture on the wall , just amazing, my 3 year old got crazy when she saw my "huge new TV".

So far I havent been able to see the 3D capability as I donot have the 3D glasses. I have ordered DLP link Active sutter Glasses from ebay, I hope these work.

In the Korean version of PF1500 , region has only two options, 1) Republic of Korea 2) Others.

In Republic of Korea , there are few Korean apps and youtube but I am very much missing Netflix and lots of other apps which I have in my LG smart TV ( UK version) .
If I change the region to 2) Other , there is just Youtube and nothing else.

Does anyone know if there is a possibility to change my region to UK or USA . or any way to hack it some how, to install netflix app, after all the operating system is obviously compatible .

Thanks
post #1460 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
I was hoping the sub-1400 lumen brightness of the pre-production model would be lower than the finished product: but the opposite is the case instead; and the finished product is now actually further away from its brightness claim, not closer. !

To be fair, no Projector ever really hits the Marketing specs with real world conditions. All PF1500 US models measured so far end up between 700 and 750 Lumens calibrated. That is a real good result for a <90W projector. I do not know any other projector with that efficiency and I do think LG deserves credits here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
LG is breaking new ground here (this is still the brightest LED in this price bracket): but what could the reason for the numerous reductions be? Might they be worried about the longevity of the light source driven at full power? (This is their first Osram-powered LED projector). Did they find it was getting hotter than intended with the relatively simple cooling system in place? Or is it just firmware bugs that have crept in?!
This is quite obvious:
Osram does not hit its marketed specs for the mass production. Osram actually admits that by their own. You see, "utopian" Marketing specs are everyhwere, manufacturors have to deal with that also when they buy components, not only we end-customers...

Greetings,
Ekki
post #1461 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To be fair, no Projector ever really hits the Marketing specs with real world conditions.

Sony does. Their HW40ES is rated at 1700 lumens and can deliver even more than the claim.

Going much cheaper, Epson is usually the same: their entire current 3000 series (3000, 3500, etc) deliver more maximum brightness than claimed.

No-one is expecting calibration not to affect output, but the maximum output defines what screen size you're able to achieve (if you're willing to sacrifice calibration) and how much ambient light your projector can deal with in worst-case.

Real-world scenario: I looked at the specs on this model and was convinced that it could drive my 127" with a bit of ambient light.

Then your first pre-production review indicated a significant brightness drop and I hoped (I even posted) that it was just dimmer due to being pre-production.

Now production units are out and they're all even dimmer.

You can see how this might seriously mislead consumers, yeah? Especially those coming from existing projectors?

LG should just be honest and market it as a 1000-lumen unit rather than claiming nearly 50% more and not delivering.

I still see this as a great first step towards more serious HT use (particularly on larger screens) for LED projection; and I agree with you that LG gets some significant credit: but I'm keeping an eye on AAXA/ViewSonic/etc in the hope that this first step is followed up by the competition.

BenQ HT2050 Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

post #1462 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I meant the price range of the PF1500 and with "real world" I meant decent colors. Just take a look at all these specs of Benq, Acer, Optoma etc... We are accusing manufacturors for misleading specs for many years now. For HigEnd gear, the Situation got better, but for the entrance Price range, the market-leading companies simply dont care...

Also you always have to ask yourself: "for how long does the initial brightness last?".

In my opinion the fairest way to compare brighntess, would be to integrate the actual calibrated brighntess over a period of about 2000 hours (lifetime of a lamp) for all techniques.

Also, if you plan to use the projector for a longer period than 2000h, you have to deduct the lamp costs to find a comparable Price range. If you use the the PF1500 for lets say 6000h, its Price range is about $500.- compared to the UHP Lamp competition. What kind of perfomance do you expect for that price range?

Regards

Last edited by Cine4Home; 06-04-2015 at 05:07 AM.
post #1463 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I meant the price range of the PF1500 and with "real world" I meant decent colors.

Also you always have to ask yourself: "for how long does the brightness last".

In my opinion the fairest way to compare brighntess, would be to integrate the actual calibrated brighntess over a period of about 2000 hours (lifetime of a lamp) for all techniques.

I hear you.

I'm at 2280 hours on my BenQ W1070 and just moved to my 127" diagonal screen. Before, I used 110". Before that, I used 100".

SmartEco is too bright for pitch-dark viewing (even at 127" - so we use SmartEco when there's ambient light only); Eco is perfect. So the '2000-hour' test certainly passes on the BenQ at that screen size; and it's cheaper. I wish the LG were the same: I'd pay the premium for it if it were .

post #1464 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The W1070+ reaches a calibrated Color light Output of 1000 Lumen in Eco mode when brand new. After 2000 hours I can just guess, but hardly more than 700 calibrated lumens.

As soon as you buy a new lamp, it is not cheaper either.

Regards,

Last edited by Cine4Home; 06-04-2015 at 05:32 AM.
post #1465 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The W1070+ reaches a calibrated Color light Output of 1000 Lumen in Eco mode when brand new. After 2000 hours I can just guess, but hardly more than 700 calibrated lumens.

But 30-40% more on top of that in SmartEco or Normal mode for ambient light and 3D. (Actually, PR measured Normal/SmartEco at over 2000 (!) lumens: http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq...75-calibration - not too far off from the manufacturer claim. Though I've seen post-calibration results of 1600 lumens or so reported elsewhere in these lamp modes.)

Which is why I believed the LG might compete if it could achieve closer to its claimed brightness. But it doesn't, unfortunately. Maybe if I'd stayed at my original 100" screen, though.

Last edited by kreeturez; 06-04-2015 at 08:36 AM.
post #1466 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
PR also said the JVC 4910 puts out 1200 calibrated lumens which is doesn't so you can't always go with what is printed.

The US model PF1500 D65 lumen output matches or exceeds a number of much more expensive LED DLP units like the Runco 750, CineLED, Optoma HD91 so it's hard not to be impressed coming from something that weights 3 pounds and draws ~70 watts when we put this into perspective.

These entry BenQ's are a deal breaker for anyone sensitive to RBE. When I had the 1070 for review, I found the RBE unbearable. My threshold here is the 6x RGBRGB setup on the .95 Planar / Runco models. + BenQ's forced used of contrast killing DLP link needs to stop but that is another topic.

every projector has compromises, you have to pick the unit that best matches your viewing habits. Or run multiple units like I do depending on what i'm watching.
post #1467 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 01:39 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparaxin View Post
Hi Folks.

Does anyone know if there is a possibility to change my region to UK or USA . or any way to hack it some how, to install netflix app, after all the operating system is obviously compatible .

Thanks
dns hijacking may work but i am busy now. need time to try. i got a korea version too.
post #1468 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

every projector has compromises, you have to pick the unit that best matches your viewing habits. Or run multiple units like I do depending on what i'm watching.

Spot on.
This is a wise approach to projection in general.

post #1469 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Or run multiple units like I do depending on what i'm watching.
Amen
post #1470 of 3199 Old 06-04-2015, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There is an old business slogan called the 80/20 rule. It means that in business almost always 20% of your product represents 80% of your business volume. This leads to the conclusion that a smart business owner concentrates on those 20% of products and builds his marketing plan around them; basically ignoring to some degree the other 80% of the products he sells. The PF 1500 fits this slogan. 20% of its features or characteristics represent 80% of the value of the projector. A smart buyer, like a smart owner, would then make his decision on those important features and give much less credence to the remaining 80%. All of us here that have any experience in projectors, like Zombie for instance, know there are only a few characteristics that are really important to us in the end. Those are picture quality, represented by resolution, color accuracy, contrast, black level, and brightness; reliability, and cost of ownership. All of these other issues fall into the 80% category and I feel sorry for you if you make a decision for your situation based on these less important specifics. They are nice to haves.

This projector has two features that alone justify not buying anything else in this price range:

1. A terrific OTB picture with plenty of brightness.
2. Once set up to your preference there is no need to touch the projector again. Thank you LED technology.

The lack of 3D is the only feature I can think of that might be a problem for some.

I've been at this since 1992 and am on about my tenth projector, including early LCDs, CRT beasts, DLPs, and LCOS from JVC. None of these offered a picture that was any better than the PF 1500 and most were a constant hassle with either reliability issues(JVC) or worrying about a bulb replacement at $450.

So if you have a PF 1500 congrats on your purchase. If you on the fence, don't be. You won't be sorry.
RonKnox likes this.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page