Piano TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-29-2002, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Piano players:
OK, here's the problem. I like the Piano so much, I've started to watch TV on the dang thing. Started with football, got an S-Vid VCR, added a nice cable, and the PQ went to an acceptable level. Nothing like DVD with the Rhino component cables, but not bad. My cable basically sucks anyway, so I'm starting to think satellite. With component out from the receiver.
So, here's the question: What kind of PQ could I expect? Digital source, component cables. With the continuing incidence of lamp failure I've been reading about, the PQ would have to be pretty good; a noticeable improvement over analog broadcast with the S-Vid. Is there something about the processing in the Piano that won't allow the level of picture quality of broadcast to approach that of DVD, or is that why they introduced the 3200? Any word on that upgrade program we were all talking so much about a few months back?
Thanks for the input. I always look forward to the great advise the readers and contributers to this forum offer.
Jim S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-29-2002, 08:37 PM

De-interlacing movies is very easy with reverse telecine as each field comes from one frame. Video is more difficult since each field is from a different point in time. Nevertheless, as you say the Piano does a respectable job, and I agree. I doubt NTSC televison could ever look as good as DVD as a result.

I have been thinking about using the DVI port with a HTPC and HDTV card, but this would not allow one to watch a "live" broadcast.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-29-2002, 09:06 PM
kct

Satellite + component out is definitely a step up from vcr tuner + s-video. I've seen both, though the later is composite to s-video via an adapter.

The video processor on the Piano like most pj's are geared more towards component video quality. S-video being more of an after-thought. The s-video on the 3200 isn't any better than the 3100. It sounds like you have the 3100 which means there is an upgrade available to 3200 except for the zoom lens. It's not worth while unless you want HDTV. Programming is still very limited but the quality is stunning.

I myself don't watch tv on it cause I like to watch tv with the lights on.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-05-2002, 05:16 AM

You might want to try a ViewSonic VB50HRTV with the Piano. I used one with a LT150z and it made a Huge difference with cable. I sold it with the LT150z so I never pluged it into the Piano.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-06-2002, 11:54 PM

I have the following set up and find digital cable (even analog channels BEAUTIFUL!)

PIANO 3200, 100' FIREHAWK SCREEN AND MONSTER M1000CV CABLES

Some channels look like it is a dvd playing.

Charles
post #6 of 7 Old 11-14-2002, 12:26 PM

I too am trying to hook up cable to my piano 3100 to watch TV (mostly sports). I have experimented with a digital cable box and a vcr tuner with composite out into the Piano composite input and have been less than satisfied with the results. I looked into broosters suggestion on the VB50HRTV, but as far as I can tell it only has an rgb mini-d 15 pin output. How would I be able to connect that to my Piano?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-14-2002, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Jim...if you're seriously considering an HTPC soon, have you considered an HDTV card?

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-52 II. MICCA: M-8C
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page