AVS Forum banner

Sony vlp-55es or Panasonic pt-8000u

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  dragonbud0 
#1 ·
Ok new to projectors so here's the decision I need to make with some experienced opinions and hands on experience. Finishing the basement completely dark no light. I have read many good things about both units. I have found the Sony for $1999 and the Panasonic for $1500. With that being said I wouldn't have a problem with the 500 more for the Sony if it is really worth it. What is everyone's take on it. The one that you recommend can you please give me a little insight on your choice and why? I'm trying to learn as well. THANKS.

#2 ·
I assume you mean the VPL 40ES because if you can get the 55 new for $1999 its a bargain. The major appeal for the panny 8000 is the power zoom, focus and lens shift making it ideal for a 2.35/40 screen using the zoom method. The Sony is newer and worth the $500 difference in my opinion if going with a 16:9 screen.

#3 ·
My next door neighbor has a SONY 55es in her loft. It's a superb projector, but it currently costs twice as much as the Panny 8000. Sony's 40es is closer in price and is basically a 55es with a lower contrast ratio. (Due to its higher brightness levels and lack of a dynamic iris.) Even without an iris, the 40es has very good contrast, good placement flexibility, terriffic shadow detail, excellent color uniformity, and is as quiet as a mouse.

So, is it 500 dollars better than the panny 8000?

Overall, i would say yes, but the panny is not that much worse. Plus the panny still has better placement flexibility, Auto Zoom, Focus, and lens memories for 2.35:1 CIH screens.

#5 ·
So, is it 500 dollars better than the panny 8000?

Overall, i would say yes, but the panny is not that much worse. Plus the panny still has better placement flexibility, Auto Zoom, Focus, and lens memories for 2.35:1 CIH screens.

I owned a Panny 3000 and it too had auto zoom / focus is not a big deal once set, but I will say the lens memory for 16:9 / 10 / 2:35:1 was a nice touch. But I prefer to stay w/ 16:9.
However...... coming from the 3000 the 40es pops an amazing picture!! The 40es is worth the additional $600 over the 8000.

#8 ·
I have had both in my house and I did a blind AB test with my family. We watched half of a movie with one and the other half with the other, nothing scientific here. They didn't know which was which and you can't tell them apart by the case. It was my wife, my two teenage boys and a bunch of their friends. We watched the latest Transformers. When I asked opinions at the end of the movies all of them thought the 55 put out a better picture. I then asked if they thought it was worth $1500 more and all the teenagers of course answered yes, my wife said yes if someone can afford the extra but otherwise she thought the 40 gave a very nice picture too. I think her advice is sound, if you an afford the extra and don't need the extra brightness of the 40 then I would get the 55.

#10 ·
This should help you decide...I'm sure they aren't calibrated, but still. Pretty massive difference. Sony is easy choice unless you are doing a masking 2.35:1 and 16:9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ea5UZe7Ios
Out of the box the Sony is clearly better for sure. Once even some minor adjustments are made, the picture quality difference becomes much smaller. The Panny can produce a better picture than what's represented in that video.

#12 ·
No. In general, LCoS is better overall since I had all 3 technologies, LCoS, DLP, then LCD in order of picture quality. LCD has not progressed much IMO. Of course, LCD is also less expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.