Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-10-2002, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.pfarrout.com/sample_images.htm

Love the clarity that HDTV gives to a projector for things like sport. Oh well in then next 3 years maybe the UK will look at HDTV :rolleyes: . Some great pictures though from the 10HT considering its probably the first home cinema projector which started all this craze :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-10-2002, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The 10HT - talk about a projector that still isn't obsolete after what 2 years on the market? Oh, I forgot, Sony projectors aren't any good.

I wonder why Europe doesn't have HDTV? As I recall, Europe beat the US to market with HiDef TV sets by about 10 years. What happened?
post #3 of 13 Old 11-10-2002, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well the BBC was posed the question and their response was that nobody wanted HDTV in the UK and that the quality was fine as it is. I doubt they did any market research, Ive always believed in quality over quantity. They are probably happier spending the cash on their £800,000 directors annual salaries while forcing us British Tax Payers to cough up £112 a year for their two BBC channels and 5 or so radio stations, while I pay £200 a year for an extra 90 with cable.

The reason why I picked on the BBC is because the cable companies are bogged down in debt, while the BBC doesnt know what to do with all the money they have and seem to want to be all things to everyone while not looking ahead of their short sightedness.

Still they may be moving in the right direction albeit slowly considering they have been looking at the technology for 15 years! :rolleyes:

http://www.broadbandmag.co.uk/featur...ch_02/hdtv.htm
post #4 of 13 Old 11-11-2002, 05:18 AM

Well, no HDTV for the next 5 years here in the Netherlands, damn UPC and other cable-vendors trying to f*** us.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-11-2002, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazing - I always laughed at our quibbling manufacturers and standards boards here knowing that Europe had their HDTV specs and standards easily approved years before.

I guess expecting public broadcasters to change over to HD is wishful thinking. The only way we get it here is from Satellite and Cable pay as you go subscriptions. Maybe with the EU now there will emerge some subsciption satellite provider big enough to start offering the usual HiDef Showtime and HBO stuff at least.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-11-2002, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well here in the UK the two cable companies NTL & Telewest have a lot of debt from building the very fast fibre optic network. The company Im with (Telewest) cares very little about cabletv since its broadband service has grown tremendously. I remember their ISP only 5 years ago when it had 25,000 modem users now it has something like 400,000 modem users and 250,000 cable modem users (10% of which are on the recently launched 1mbit cable service). Naturally telewest is now marketing itself as Telewest Broadband, its interactive TV services are poor although I blame that on the Pace STB technology and their cr@p technology.

Microsoft own part of Telewest so Im hoping they might have a future with the interactive tv service, in fact come to think of it with WMP9 some interesting content streams could be used for higher quality broadcasts. This wont happen unless some serious cash is injected into Telewest, Microsoft probably arent allowed to do that because the european monopolies and merger commision would probably stop it :mad: Glad we got our $2 billion pounds rebate from europe though :p .
post #7 of 13 Old 11-11-2002, 03:01 PM

Fellow Europeans, read an weep (if PQ is high on your agenda)! :(

http://www.ebu.ch/trev_276-editorial.html

The answer is technology! What was the question?
post #8 of 13 Old 11-11-2002, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I laughed when that report said that people were buying 26" to 28" tv sets, in pretty much every electrical store Ive been to they start at 28" these days for widescreen and usually show about one or two models if that, the majority are 32" and 36" but these days in the large stores like John Lewis/Currys/Comet/etc they show off 40" - 60" RPTVs and Plasma which at that size shows the inferiorty of SDTV.

I know that in the USA the picture of their NTSC system is very bad compared to the current SDTV in the UK and probably other countries.

EDIT: just noticed that the report was in 1998 :rolleyes: 4 years ago..
post #9 of 13 Old 11-11-2002, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy

I wonder why Europe doesn't have HDTV? As I recall, Europe beat the US to market with HiDef TV sets by about 10 years. What happened?
Europe has never had HD other than in laboratories. The Europeans tried to develop and commercialize a system codenamed Eureka 1250 but it never made it outside the labs. This occurred during the same time period that the development work in this country created 1080i as a DTV alternative to the Japanese analog 1125/60 system.

There are now HD-capable production companies in Europe but no OTA or satellite HD.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-11-2002, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There are now HD-capable production companies in Europe but no OTA or satellite HD.
Sounds like Europe needs just a bit more Yankee imperialism in the form of EchoStar Europe. Sorry European Bro's, I know McDonalds and Disney France were a blight, but this will be good for you - really. ;)

OK I know, they have PAL and a highly protected HD format that's never seen the light of day but feeding other resolutions can't be THAT big a deal with so many customers at stake. Can it?
post #11 of 13 Old 11-12-2002, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
jrwood,

40"-60" RPTVs are on display, but they don't really sell much outside Britain. At least in France, Switzerland and Spain I can tell you the vast majority of widescreen TV sets sold are 28" or 32".

EmuMannen,

That sucks. If we don't get HDTV, is there any chance we can import HD-DVD from the US if and when it happens?

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #12 of 13 Old 11-12-2002, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Where I work most of us are into hifi gear etc and I think most have at least a 32" some now have projectors :D but a lot have RPTV (which I personally dont like)
post #13 of 13 Old 11-14-2002, 01:25 AM

I think broadcast HDTV will be a long time coming in Europe (insert a plethora of cursing and ranting here).

Fortunately, plans for blue laser HD-DVD are progressing nicely in the US, so I'm fairly confident I'll own a HD capable player and keep purchasing my viewing material from the US directly, but it does stink that the focus in Europe is on more channels instead of higher picture quality. That is especially true as 95% of the stuff being transmitted on those channels is pure crap.

/Kimmo

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
-- From The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy by Douglas Adams
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page