AVS Forum banner

Epson 5030UB or Panasonic AE8000U?

2K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  mecmec 
#1 · (Edited)
About to purchase my first front projector as I am turning my basement into a home theater. Nothing extravagant.

Looking at both the Epson 5030UB and the Panasonic AE8000U. Technically, I can afford a $2k-$2,5000 projector if need be, but both these projectors are currently selling below $2k which is amazing.

I have spent days pouring over reviews of both projectors (as well as others). The Epson 5030 seems to exceed on most every level --- particularly for 3D since it's much brighter. I have learned that 3D really pops when you have lots of luminance behind it.

The thing I like most about the Panasonic is its zoom lens which gives one the ability to use it with a 2.35 screen...

...but really, is this a show-stopper feature? Would I be just as happy with a 16x screen?

I am really looking for a solid performing front projector that will give me highly detailed images and nice black levels.

Not interested in JVC. It doesn't output enough light for 3D. Sony is a consideration, but it's really neck-and-neck with the Epson 5030.

Would appreciate your advice

See less See more
#3 ·
Just curious as to why the Sony is on the fringe. I just went through this process 5030vs AE8000 vs HW40ES. To me the Sony outshone the 5030 considerably.. have you had the chance to demo one yet ? You mentioned pouring over reviews, have you gone to demo each projector yet ? Your eyes are the ultimate reviewer !!

And as the Kilgore mentioned above, the Pana might be the best choice if you plan to go for a scope screen rather than 16:9 as it has the lens memory in its favour.

#4 ·
If you are an avid movie watcher and plan on using a 2.35 screen with money not being a big issue than I would consider the Sony 40 with an anamorphic lens. The A-lens with mount for the Sony is $2k but can be had for less. This combo is a great value for 2.35 screens and movie lovers. The Epson 5030 does not have the scaling options for an A-lens, you have to go with the 6030 to get that option.

I am a movie lover and have 2.35 screen but I wouldn't recommend 2,35 for people who TV, sports or gaming are bigger priorities, a 16x9 screen is better if those are your priorities.

#5 · (Edited)
I have the Epson 5030 UB and its an excellent projector. I looked at the Panny, the Sony and the Epson when making my choices and while they all have good points and one may slightly outperform over the others in one area, its usually at a cost somewhere else. I found the Epson to have the best overall balance between picture, cost and features. I dont know if the 3-D feature matters to you but I just watched a movie on it in 3-D ( Guardians of the Galaxy ) and it was pretty much theatre quality. I watch a good mix of TV, sports and movies and having 2.35 screen would have not worked well for my room so the lack of a true 2.35 ratio wasnt a big deal for me. I would have needed to go to a smaller screen for that, anyway because of room width limitations and I didnt want to make that compromise. I dont have an issue with the black bars when I do watch a 2.35 movie, as the Epson has excellent blacks and I dont really notice them once the movie is going. One more thing regarding the Epson is I believe they are still running the free extra bulb promo and a free spare bulb is a really nice thing to have. I doubt that you would go wrong with choosing any of those three projectors, they are all great choices for the price. You need to decide what your needs are and get the one that fills those needs the best.

#6 ·
Yeah, despite the header in this thread, I am down to either the Sony HW55ES or the Epson 5030UB. I will look at the Sony 40 for the motorized lens and see what the reviews are, but I think last I checked, the Epson rated much better than the Sony H40 but not the HW55ES.

#7 ·
The HW40 doesn't have a motorized lens...it's manual.

It all depends on screen size. 120" or smaller and the 5030 will be hard to beat. The Panny has motorized zoom and focus and will look better if you sit close to the screen...it has a better pixel structure than the Epson and won't be affected by the SDE like the Epson will.

If you go larger say 130-150"+ then the Hw40 should be a contender. It has 1500+ good looking lumens in best mode. The Panny and the Epson will have ~700lumens in best mode.

#8 ·
Oh...apologies. Thought the HW40 had it. That rules that projector out completely.

It's between the Epson 5030 and the Sony HWE55. The SDE is the exact reason why I may spend twice as much for the Sony over the Epson as I will be sitting rather close to the screen.

So it looks like either projector with a 16x9 screen. I'll know Wednesday which one as I have my taxes done. A nice refund means the Sony 55ES projector.

#12 ·
Hi Ben!

JVC is out of the question for me. Every review I read puts them down for 3D performance. I am totally a 3D guy. I review 3D for my website. I own about 150 3D titles. You can certainly understand the importance of having a projector that outputs a lot of light.

The one thing JVC does have in its favor is a motorized lens. That would allow me to use a 2.35 screen, which everyone seems to prefer.

Otherwise, the Sony and Epson models force me to use a 16x9 screen.

Yes, the 40ES is brighter, but from reviews I have read, Epson and the Sony 55ES beat that projector in overall image quality.

I will be sitting rather close to the screen. It's a small room, about 16 feet long and 12 feet wide. SDE is a concern on the Epson when sitting close.

Would love to demo these projectors but there is no Magnolia store quite near me. However, reading this forum, from those of you who have demoed projectors, there is high praise for the Epson 5030 but many preferred the more film-like appearance of the Sony projectors.

#15 ·
I am probably going to get a 120" screen. Guessing. Someone else is putting this all together for me as I know nothing about screens.

I can get the 55ES at dealer cost for just under $2,900. If you think that the price is going to drop even further somewhere else, would love to know about it.

I take it that the Sony is LCoS and the Epson is LCD?

#17 ·
Yep, Sony is LCoS.

Just answered you in a different thread saying an 80" TV would be perfect since you're sitting 7-8 feet away from your screen but since you have a budget of up to $25-grand...why not get the Sony 350ES? It won't matter that you sit at 7' with a 4K projector...even with 1080P content. The pixel spacing on a 4K unit is such that you won't be able to see the pixels at 7 feet. Just a thought.

#16 ·
Regarding SDE on the Epson, I am sitting at 12' from my 120"screen and I have zero SDE issues. I have walked towards the screen with a laser measure to see where the SDE kicks in and I don't see any issues until I get around 6' from the screen. I know that SDE is seen differently by different people but I can say that not a single person has been able to discern any SDE in my theatre from the normal seating position. I would say that unless your seating is under 10' from the screen, youre safe. Honestly I think you could even go as close as 8' but that would be way too close to a 120" screen. For me 12' is perfect. Hope that helps.

#19 ·
About to purchase my first front projector as I am turning my basement into a home theater. Nothing extravagant.

Looking at both the Epson 5030UB and the Panasonic AE8000U. Technically, I can afford a $2k-$25,000 projector if need be, but both these projectors are currently selling below $2k which is amazing.

I have spent days pouring over reviews of both projectors (as well as others). The Epson 5030 seems to exceed on most every level --- particularly for 3D since it's much brighter. I have learned that 3D really pops when you have lots of luminance behind it.

The thing I like most about the Panasonic is its zoom lens which gives one the ability to use it with a 2.35 screen...

...but really, is this a show-stopper feature? Would I be just as happy with a 16x screen?

I am really looking for a solid performing front projector that will give me highly detailed images and nice black levels.

Not interested in JVC. It doesn't output enough light for 3D. Sony is a consideration, but it's really neck-and-neck with the Epson 5030.

Would appreciate your advice
Crabalocker,

You made me gasp with that 80" TV comment. Didn't even know if you were serious. I really want front projection. I know I am close to the screen -- but I don't have any other choice and I REALLY want the theater experience.

And, I don't know where you got the $25 grand budget from. No, no, no! Never said that. My budget is $3k for a projector and I can actually get the Sony 55ES for dealer cost (just below that price).

Appreciate your help and hope you can come up with something.
The 80" tv comment was serious. 80" from 7 feet away is pretty much the same as a 105" from 10' feet away. I was just trying to be realistic with what you can expect from a 7-8' distance. I'm sure there are some that sit that close but be aware that the bigger you blow it up and the closer you sit, the larger those pixels get and you reach a point where the picture won't look sharp. Personally I wouldn't sit that close to a projector screen, just my opinion.

My comment about the Sony 350es came from your original post. The 350ES is ~$8-grand.....well within your original price budget. But since you now confirmed it's $3-grand....I would highly recommend getting a Darbee or something that will really sharpen up the image because 120" at 7' might not look all that sharp and I would 100% rule out an Epson. I'm pretty sure the SDE will be noticeable at 7' and 120".

#20 ·
Aaaah, that was my error. I put the comma in the wrong place in my first post. I have corrected it. Yeah, $2,500 is max.

Unfortunately, I have very little choice in this matter. I want a front projector. I want that dream (or somewhat of the dream) home theater room and I am stumbling with quite a few obstacles to make it happen -- mainly seating distance. However, when you want something badly, you tend to do what you can to make it work.

You are right about ruling out the Epsons. I think it's gonna be a Sony.

#21 ·
Ahh, the old finger error...got it.

Projectors are awesome if you can swing it, that's for sure! there's nothing like that cinematic effect from in your own home. I hate going to the movies now....people drive me nuts!

It's your door opening that seems to be limiting your seating options. How about posting a picture of the opening...there are a lot of good construction people here as well that can help changing your room a bit to help with your projector placement. If you can sit further back the Epson would be an excellent choice as well. It's just if you sit too close the SDE will become noticeable and it will drive you nuts once you notice it.

I wouldn't rush into anything just yet and would take some time to see what you do to your room to make it more flexible for viewing options.

When you have it all set up....you'll love it!

Good luck

edit:

Just a thought...how about flipping the ends of your room? Take down the cabinets at the one end and use that for your screen wall? Now you have options!

#23 ·
Ron,

I went front projection last year for the first time. Like yourself, I dreamed about it for years. I own a home, but I was under the misconception I would need a HUGE room. I do have a fairly large sized basement, but it's completely unfinished and I wasn't going to spent a fortune finishing it. So, I ended up turning in my computer room/home office into a dedicated theater room. It's worked out better than I expected and front projection is truly an amazing experience when you do it well. Just try to keep that room as dark and black as possible- and good idea going with a Sony as LCoS gives a very filmlike image.

#26 ·
Kilgore,

So, if I get a 110" 16x9 screen and sit 8 feet from it, I shouldn't see the SDE? Or is that too close?
I would have to get within 6 feet at least before I start to even notice it, and my eyesight is pretty good. In spite of that, 8 feet away from a 110" screen is asking for eyestrain, IMHO. 10 feet would be better.

#29 ·
Looking at both the Epson 5030UB and the Panasonic AE8000U. Technically, I can afford a $2k-$2,5000 projector if need be, but both these projectors are currently selling below $2k which is amazing.
Could anyone point me to where I can find the Epson 5030UB for below $2k?

I've had my eye on this projector, but the price has always deterred me. The cheapest I can find is $2299

#31 · (Edited)
The new 5025 with the exact same image-quality as the 5030 starts around $1999, so I'd bet there are a few selling a little below.

The Panasonic ae8000 comes up a little short on contrast compared to the Epson and Sony, but we're talking a pretty small difference AND Panasonic does a much better job of hiding screendoor in their LCD projectors compared to Epson. The crazy low price doesn't hurt either.

Still, for anyone that can pass on the motorized lens, the hw40 has the best motion resolution and action-scene handling, invisible pixel-gaps, fantastic out-of-box color and greyscale, the highest native contrast, the quietest fans, excellent 3D that can be used with very good yet inexpensive glasses (a great plus for group viewing), the highest color-accurate brightness combined with very little light-loss from zooming (about half the loss of the Epson or Panasonic), and a very reasonable price of $2000.

The 5025/5030/hw55 has the addition of a dynamic iris that can dim your dark scenes further (if you don't mind the look of a dynamic iris), but it doesn't increase the actual contrast..it only dims dark scenes in both lows and highs.
The LCoS Sony's measure higher native contrast, second only to the amazing contrast of the JVC LCoS.

.......of course now he hates his Black horizontal Bars with a passion. :D
Because he was originally looking at a scope screen and ae8000 but ended up 16:9 CIW and 5030, why didn't he get some masking for the screen? It's couch-cushion money to build and makes for an uncompromised viewing experience at either aspect.
Nobody with the money and room for these $2k+ theater models should be suffering black-bar syndrome.

Bet he's thrilled with everything else though, that's a sweet deal on the projector+extras.

#30 ·
There is no legitimate offer of a "New" 5030 at or below 2K on the Web or in any Store...at present. I have some fairly close ties to Epson Distributors and their Epson Rep, and he plainly states that the current promotion that is ongoing is the lowest Authorized sale price, and that had better be from a Authorized Epson Dealer or no Warranty.

But....a Panny 8K mated with a Darbee 5000 will still come in under $2K and do the job just as well....or better in some cases.

BTW....thanks for pointing out elsewhere that I'm not "selling" Panasonic PJs. The real truth being I find PJ / Screen combinations I know that will work well time and again with a variety of Screen surfaces in a variety of room conditions, and do so at the lowest possible price without compromising quality....and I stay with them.....until something better comes along. Lately (...since 2011) both price and the availability of Lens memory has me holding the 8K above all other choices for truly dedicated Theaters that are on budgets that normal Humans aspire to.

Good as the 5030 is, splash up a 143" diagonal image and get 1:1 distance from it, and you will see SDE...especially if you have sharp eyes and are watching bright scenes. Not bad, mind you....but it's present.

Not so with the 8K. And a Darbee easily provides any needed degree of sharpness and contrast boost to equal any performance advantage the 5030 provides out-of-the-box.

All that said, I recently installed a 5030 for a 132" 16:9 Screen down in Bradenton, Fl, and the owner took advantage of a "authorized" Black Friday deal for $2099+ Free Lamp Voucher.
He hemmed and hawed around between CIH @ 135" w/Panny and 132" 16:9 w/Epson, and finially settled on the 5030. Why? The Free Extra Lamp and $300.00 Instant Rebate.

.......of course now he hates his Black horizontal Bars with a passion. :D

#32 ·
The newer 5025 is not as bright, nor has it's image quality passed the test of both time and peer review. Only price seems the driving force between that PJ....so far.

Also, as far as use in a dedicated Theater the Epson 5000 series are Freight Trains as far as fan noise goes.

And dynamic iris s? What a buncha hooyee. Attenuation to obtain blacker blacks is nothing more that paying the light bill with grocery money. You get to keep the lights on....so you can watch yourself starve in a mirror.

BTW, the individual I spoke about has never had a CHI set up. He was certain that since he watched a lot of TV, and streamed Movies, that 16:9 was just fine. Now he complains about Fan Noise,while also complaining about Black bars....

Loves the brightness though....because he does not use the Dynamic Iris....he has a 132" Silver Fire v2.5 3.0 so his black levels and Whites / Colors both show much better under any / all conditions.

Of course....I suppose I should make note he has a OPPO 103D (Darbee Edition) and of course that helps out a lot.

Also, dual Horizontal masking is not an easy do....nor is it cosmetically effective "design-wise". Lastly, neither the individual nor I would want to spend the time and effort and money doing up a truly righteous "AND" good looking masking effort. That is something for the DIY'er who simply "Hasta have 'em one o-dose!", and has the time, money and skill set needed to make one up.... because it's a challenge..

So..... I still maintain, that for the dollar spent /results obtained, nothing listed previously can equal the Panny8K...and with a Darbee 5000 in the loop, so lopsided is the difference it just ain't even worth debatin'.

Given the opportunity to choose, my dream system would be a DLA-X700R mated to a 80" x 143" Silver Fire v2.5 NC and equipped with a simple, motorized drop-down Black Velvet Curtain to mask "ONLY" the top portion of the screen....,
....seeing that the PJ mentioned has a Fully Motorized Lens System

Honestly, you might see that happen sooner than later too. As it is, I have a installation coming up soon that involves a similar sized SF screen and the JVC DLA-X75R E-Shift 4K PJ

.................All are class acts fur shur, but you won't hear / see me touting them as being bargains for the Everyday man. And frankly, those are the folks I feel appreciate the most quality they can possibly get for the very least amount spent.

In the very end of it all, everyone will have the folks at Panasonic to thank for helping drive down the costs of the higher priced PJs that lack the few desirable features the Panny 8K possesses that they do not. And...it should make a few people stop and ponder as to why those other PJ Mfg have not opted to step up to the plate and field a commensurate feature set in their higher priced projectors. Could it be they simply want to offer less for a higher price?

Seems that way......

#33 ·
The newer 5025 is not as bright, nor has it's image quality passed the test of both time and peer review. Only price seems the driving force between that PJ....so far.

Also, as far as use in a dedicated Theater the Epson 5000 series are Freight Trains as far as fan noise goes.

And dynamic iris s? What a buncha hooyee. Attenuation to obtain blacker blacks is nothing more that paying the light bill with grocery money. You get to keep the lights on....so you can watch yourself starve in a mirror.

BTW, the individual I spoke about has never had a CHI set up. He was certain that since he watched a lot of TV, and streamed Movies, that 16:9 was just fine. Now he complains about Fan Noise,while also complaining about Black bars....

Loves the brightness though....because he does not use the Dynamic Iris....he has a 132" Silver Fire v2.5 3.0 so his black levels and Whites / Colors both show much better under any / all conditions.

Of course....I suppose I should make note he has a OPPO 103D (Darbee Edition) and of course that helps out a lot.

Also, dual Horizontal masking is not an easy do....nor is it cosmetically effective "design-wise". Lastly, neither the individual nor I would want to spend the time and effort and money doing up a truly righteous "AND" good looking masking effort. That is something for the DIY'er who simply "Hasta have 'em one o-dose!", and has the time, money and skill set needed to make one up.... because it's a challenge..

So..... I still maintain, that for the dollar spent /results obtained, nothing listed previously can equal the Panny8K...and with a Darbee 5000 in the loop, so lopsided is the difference it just ain't even worth debatin'.

Given the opportunity to choose, my dream system would be a DLA-X700R mated to a 80" x 143" Silver Fire v2.5 NC and equipped with a simple, motorized drop-down Black Velvet Curtain to mask "ONLY" the top portion of the screen....,
....seeing that the PJ mentioned has a Fully Motorized Lens System

Honestly, you might see that happen sooner than later too. As it is, I have a installation coming up soon that involves a similar sized SF screen and the JVC DLA-X75R E-Shift 4K PJ

.................All are class acts fur shur, but you won't hear / see me touting them as being bargains for the Everyday man. And frankly, those are the folks I feel appreciate the most quality they can possibly get for the very least amount spent.

In the very end of it all, everyone will have the folks at Panasonic to thank for helping drive down the costs of the higher priced PJs that lack the few desirable features the Panny 8K possesses that they do not. And...it should make a few people stop and ponder as to why those other PJ Mfg have not opted to step up to the plate and field a commensurate feature set in their higher priced projectors. Could it be they simply want to offer less for a higher price?

Seems that way......
I have the Panny 8000. So, your saying leave the dynamic iris off?

#36 ·
I currently have both of these projectors in my set up. I will say that black level is close on both of them but my Epson is sharper than my Panasonic. Epson has the newest latest software upgrades as well. HOWEVER, I use a 158" scope screen with a perforated screen and the Epson shows a bit of moire that the Panasonic does not. If you were not flipping back and forth between them, no one would ***** about the Panasonic being a tad "softer" and while this sounds like a negative, in my case it is not. I am almost certain that I will be keeping the Panny at this time.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.