TW100 Fan On during Standby ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2002, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I put my tw100 on standby, one of the fans seems to be on at a very low speed. Is that normal ?

GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2002, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

This is normal.

If you read the manual it says if your not going to be using it for a while that it is best to just turn it off using the switch on the back.

When I got done using mine, I would let it be idle like that for a good 30-60 minutes before I shut completely off, just for safe measure.

Chris
Old 11-12-2002, 06:56 PM

Does the fan ever shut off?

JoeB
Old 11-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

JoeB:

No. But don't worry. It is not the same speed as when it is on. It is like 1/100 of the speed. You literally have to put your ear up to it to hear. It is that low.

Chris
Old 11-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Nope, the "low" speed fan stays on as long as there is power to the unit. I usually let mine run for 30-60 minutes after use and then just switch it off. I put the projector on a UPS with a switch, so all I have to do is flip the UPS switch to cut power to it. I can't see the harm.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:07 PM

Have any of you thought of purchasing a backup battery APC in case the power goes out during a movie...

JoeB
Old 11-12-2002, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, that's exactly what I have...an Uninterruptable Power Supply...UPS. It's a great investment. Mine even came with insurance coverage.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thats bad though, since we have to remember to turn off the main switch after 60 mins !!! PLus imagine the dust it would eventually collect over time if it is left on especially if it is ountd from the ceiling !

GS
Old 11-12-2002, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I agree about the dust collection. But I haven't found turning the projector off to be a big deal. I'm sure it would be fine to turn off after the high-speed cooldown period ends.

One question: Since dust settles by gravity, would there really be more dust closer to the ceiling than lower down?

I regularly blow around my projector with air. My projector is an investment like any other...I take care of it and expect that with care it will last until it doesn't.

Do any other projectors have this "always on" fan feature?
Old 11-12-2002, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

On the subject of UPS's, has anyone done a P.Q. assesment with and without????
please post your findings, we would all like to know.

ziggy
Old 11-13-2002, 02:39 AM

I have my TW100 ceiling mounted and I don't want to reach for the power switch on the back. I therefor installed a switch on the extension cord that leads from the projector to the power socket (that switch is hidden in a cupboard). It works great.

I noted that the specification for the upcomming TW100H stated that the fan was shutoff in standby on that model. I wonder if it is a firmware issue that might be fixed with a future firmware update of the TW100?

The answer is technology! What was the question?
Old 11-13-2002, 10:45 AM

OK, I just spoke with Epson technical support, since my unit should be coming in the next few days, and they told me that in fact the fan will shut off completely once it cools down. Also, they told me that the standby options (depending on what option is chosen) will make a difference to the amount of time it waits to shut down based on signals being sent to the projector. They said, that if mine doesn't shut down to call them immediately.

I hope this helps...I would like to know if you change your standby options if the fan does shut down....it may take up to an hour time frame.

JoeB
Old 11-13-2002, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

JoeB:

Well that certainly is interesting news. I have left my TW100 overnight in "standby" and the fan is still on in the morning. I'll have to look at what standby options are available and see if I have it set to something eternal. But otherwise, I've never heard anyone else say that the fan is supposed to turn OFF. I may have to give Epson a call myself...maybe they'll send me a new TW100H. Wouldn't that be something?

Can someone look at the standby options and post what they find?
Old 11-13-2002, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Yeah, same here my fan is always on in standby mode. I'm getting ready to mount it on the ceiling. It would be nice if did not have to switch it off manually.

Quote:
Can someone look at the standby options and post what they find?
I am work now so I don't have access to the projector. I downloaded the manual from epson.com and I can't find anything about standby options.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:33 PM

I have left my Tw100 in standy for days and the fan was still running (firmware 1.08)...

Old 11-13-2002, 05:34 PM

I wil be pretty upset if I have to rig a switch to shut the fan off. They did mention to exactly follow the shut down method described in the manual. 1st the source...ie dvd then the projector. they said you must hit the off button twice to confirm shutdown else in 7 seconds it will not shutdown..it will go into standby.

I would like to have one of you owners call the technical support hotline with your pin and ask the same question that I have asked them.

anxiously awaiting or not?

JoeB
Old 11-13-2002, 06:18 PM

Just contact EPSON tech support again....this technician stated that in fact the fan motor does in fact stay on because the projector when plugged in creates enough heat to warrant the fan motor to run at a very low pace. They told me that they have there demo unit on a switch. I asked them about the TW100H unit and they said it may not come to the USA. Firmware update may be a possibility. Sorry for the confusion...but I want to know everything I can concerning this projector.

Thanks to all my forum friends for the help!

JoeB
Old 11-13-2002, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

It's not so big a deal to me as long as everyone is sure that the fan is supposed to stay on. I will call Epson tomorrow as well and report back. Like I said, I have my TW100 plugged into a UPS which has two of its outlets on a switch (also battery backup), so all I have to do is flip the switch after the high-speed cooldown fan goes off and all is well. Someone here said that they plugged their projector into a switched wall outlet, but I think that is just inviting disaster...In my house the switch for the switched outlets are located right beside other light switches, and I can just imagine someone cutting power to the projector accidentally in this kind of situation.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

I think this is standard for most EPSON projectors. My 7250 also has a continious running fan when not in use.

ziggy
Old 11-14-2002, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I think the UPS is a great idea. I had the power suddenly go out on me several times the past few months. Fortunately I was not using the projector during those times.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jwtseng
It's not so big a deal to me as long as everyone is sure that the fan is supposed to stay on. I will call Epson tomorrow as well and report back. Like I said, I have my TW100 plugged into a UPS which has two of its outlets on a switch (also battery backup), so all I have to do is flip the switch after the high-speed cooldown fan goes off and all is well. Someone here said that they plugged their projector into a switched wall outlet, but I think that is just inviting disaster...In my house the switch for the switched outlets are located right beside other light switches, and I can just imagine someone cutting power to the projector accidentally in this kind of situation.

What UPS are you using....I went on the APCC.com website and found a couple that would last 6 minutes......$60 - $80 US. I have decided to change the outlet on my ceiling to a switch and will then run a feed off that switch to create another outlet to the projector. I hope the projector is worth this added trouble. :D

JoeB
Old 11-15-2002, 03:52 AM

I had in fact also called Epson about this issue and they said also :

As long as there is power on the unit it will generate a certain amount of heat and therefor the fan keeps running. I wonder if this is a chicken and egg situation. There is heat so the fan blows because the fan runs there is heat and on and on we go..

Some laptops had this 'problem' feature and I am sure it could be turned off in the firmware !

Erick otto

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/tw100
Old 11-15-2002, 04:57 AM

Maybe the fan is controlled by a thermistor or something not controlled by the firmware? That would make it hard to correct by a firmware update. The specification for the TW100H is stating that it will shut down the fan completely in standby mode. I don't know how different the TW100H is to the TW100, I thought that it was only the optical engine and maybe the firmware, but you never know...