Thinking about InFocus 8606HD - mistake? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Old 02-16-2015, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking about InFocus 8606HD - mistake?

I had an InFocus in the mid 2000s (480p) and I am currently rocking an Optoma (720p) but I just lost the bulb. Rather than get a new bulb, I'd like to upgrade to a 1080p but unfortunately my room shape seems to be eliminating all the top deals on the budget projectors that are out there.

I'd like to spend under a $1,000 and I need to place the projector 12.5 feet from a wall that can only handle around an 85 inch diagonal image. Aside from some Epsons, the InFocus seems to be the only one that can handle my room limitations.

Questions:

Am I misunderstanding my room limitations and are budget BenQs and Optomas available to me?

Is the InFocus 8606HD a good machine? I am concerned that I don't see that much out there on it compared to the other comparably priced projectors.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-17-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 406
The best tool in the world, other than their calculator, is the "Search By Feature" tool at Projector Central...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...sort=pop&sz=15

I put the price a bit higher at $1,200, but 12.5 feet with a 85" diagonal and 1080p...

Still, you can see that you do have some options. BenQ, ViewSonic, and Vivitek are all in the list of options.

If you can move the mount closer, you would have more options, but that's all room dependent I realize.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks AV Integrated

I actually have used that tool and that's how I got to the InFocus 8606HD.

I do want to keep my projector cost in the 600 to 800 dollar range. My room limitations are significant.

My primary questions are how reliable is the InFocus and should I be favoring Epsons over InFocus. I recall InFocus being one of the budget projector leaders in the past but it doesn't seem to be that way anymore.

Also, would you buy direct from InFocus (through Amazon's site) or from B&H Photo from an ease of returns pov?

Last edited by ak44; Yesterday at 06:19 PM.
post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you're set on the in focus, I can't change your mind. But if you're open to suggestion, I have have the epson 8345. It can not only hit 85" from 12.5 feet, but it had lens shift to hit your screen exactly. It's also in your budget. $799 new from Amazon or $599 manufacturer refurbished from visual apex that comes with the same warranty as a new epson.
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

southpaw

I wouldn't consider myself set on anything, more just limited by my room situation and budget.

Do you think the Epson is better than the InFocus?

A quick review shows that a decent amount of people seem to have bulb life issues with the Epson and some concern with brightness levels.

I do want a projector that is going to be reliable. Does Epson have a better rep than InFocus?
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak44 View Post
southpaw

I wouldn't consider myself set on anything, more just limited by my room situation and budget.

Do you think the Epson is better than the InFocus?

A quick review shows that a decent amount of people seem to have bulb life issues with the Epson and some concern with brightness levels.

I do want a projector that is going to be reliable. Does Epson have a better rep than InFocus?
ak44,
I believe you're referring to the 8350 for the bulb issues. I haven't heard any complaints on the 8345. Also, I've read a few times on this forum that epson tweaked some things in the 8345 to avoid some lamp life issues the 8350 had. As for my experience, I have nothing but good things to say about the 8345 so far. Also, if rainbows are a factor to you at all, the Epson has none, of course, being a 3 chip projector. The infocus only has a 2x speed wheel, I believe. I would jump all over the 8345 refurbished deal for $599 at visual apex, personally, if I didn't already have one. Plus Visual Apex is an authorized epson dealer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page