Japanese site compares AE300 & HS10! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all... long time lurker, first time post.

I used google yesterday to find a Japanese site comparing the HS10 and AE300. Babelfish really mangled the translation ("with the Sony the sea urchin it was visible"), so it's hard to draw many conclusions from the article... but here's what I could decifer....

They thought the HS10 did a better job with High Definition material. The HS10 also does a good job with interlaced material, and has a very bright picture. And they stated that it's so easy to use, even a woman could do it!

:D

But... they prefered the color on the AE300, as well as the lack of screen door. They also stated that the AE300 was a lot quieter, and they liked the small footprint.

So... it sounds like both units have their strengths and weaknesses.

Torajima
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Here's the link to the translated article:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...p=ja_en&tt=url
post #3 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I wonder if they were using some kind of vernacular, it's the weirdest translation yet. Still it was interesting that they thought the Sony had the better deinterlacer, was better for HTPC, and no suprise was impressive with Hi Def. Also that the AE300 might have a bit more punch and sharpness than the Sony on DVD, although it doesn't seem to do well with HD (a bit dim?).

It looks like for primarily DVD use (without an HTPC) and in small room/short throw situations the AE300 might be ideal. For those wanting very good brightness, ease of use, good DVD and superior HD its the HS10.

Despite the weird translation, it does helps make it easier to understand which is better for your needs.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 08:02 AM

Sort of disappointing. They really told us nothing more than we already know. :(
post #5 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

"sea urchin" is likely to be a Manglefish version of the Japanese term for "screen-door."
Actually.. Looking at the untranslated page.. My (novice) reading of that line is "In comparison to the SONY, the focus was visibly better."
I think Babelfish messed up parsing the sentence. Words aren't separated by spaces in Japanese, so it can be particularly confusing for translation software.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Also.. "Maniacs" are really what gearheads are called in Japan. It's awesome. :)
post #7 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 08:22 AM

Hmmm, I am unclear on whether they are saying the screendoor is less significant on the Sony or the Panny.... Little by little, info is flowing in.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vrooman
Hmmm, I am unclear on whether they are saying the screendoor is less significant on the Sony or the Panny.... Little by little, info is flowing in.
Looks to me like they're saying the AE300 has less screendoor. Under the AE300 positives they state:

"It meaning that the lattice of the pixel is not visible, the pixel does not become matter of concern"

I assume "lattice of pixels" means screendoor.

Torajima
post #9 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

I always wonder when they claim superior color on a projector, if its with factory settings or tweaked to the bone. I always thought color could be adjusted for fairly easily, is this a wrong assumption?

I guess now i have to see the AE300 in person (fat chance in Canada, never mind Quebec) to see that scanline in "Blow"...and see if it bothers me. Any other film with obvious scanline scenes?

post #10 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

I think one of the reasons why the commented that the AE300 was more colourful is because of the default settings that each projector comes with. You can create just as vibrant picture playing with gain settings on projectors. I think Mr D (digital film janitor) from the UK mentioned that he had looked into the AE100 colour calibration and found that the gamma on that projector was really high and compensated for this by using a very low gamma in his HTPC although I could be wrong but Im sure he mentioned this on avforums.com.

I would be really surprised if screendoor on the HS10 was an issue on a 7 foot screen from a viewing distance of about 12 to 13 feet. Although I only use a grey screen which does help combat screendoor imho. Maybe some people just have far better eyesight :D or watch it from 8 feet :eek:

EDIT: Just found the gamma article, interesting read btw http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...threadid=44414
post #11 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

jrwood, from what I saw a 7 foot (assuming you mean wide not diag)screen from 12 foot would be just on the borderline of seeing screen door on the HS10. 13 foot would be better. I wouldn't go any closer than 12 foot if I were you.
For comparision:
- I had a 92" diagonal screen (2 metres wide)
- less than 3.3 visible
- from 3.3 metres it was visible just
- from 3.3 to 3.8 pretty much gone, perhaps slight trace at closer positions
- form 3.8+ no trace
post #12 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

thanks builty (or other HS10 owners), could you tell me how much screendoor you see with the zoom lens set to the minimum. You will probably need the projector back about 18 to 20 feet though for a 7 foot wide image though.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by builty
jrwood, from what I saw a 7 foot (assuming you mean wide not diag)screen from 12 foot would be just on the borderline of seeing screen door on the HS10. 13 foot would be better. I wouldn't go any closer than 12 foot if I were you.
For comparision:
- I had a 92" diagonal screen (2 metres wide)
- less than 3.3 visible
- from 3.3 metres it was visible just
- from 3.3 to 3.8 pretty much gone, perhaps slight trace at closer positions
- form 3.8+ no trace
Im going to watch HS10 ~3.6 meters on ~85" diagonal screen. .. I guess screen door won't bother me .. + GRAY SCREEN !!!!

thx builty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Crestron & AMX Programmer. GUI Designer.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 09:16 PM

builty: since you've seen it, how about a 10 ft wide screen? how far back til screen door disappears?

thanks
post #15 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

sfvenn, I didn't have a screen that big to try it on but I did zoom it out so it was bigger than the 92" I had, just to see how it looked. I think I would have had it close to 10ft equivalent size, but I only observed from my main seating position at 4.5 metres. From that distance it was fine, sorry can't say at what point it went away.
Should be getting mine in about 5 days time, could try then.

jrwood, I read about the affects of zoom on screen door after I returned the unit. The quoted figures about were around half way on the zoom (4.3 metre throw for 92" diag screen should give enough info to calc the exact zoom.) I also tried it at 3.6 metre throw on max zoom, but didn't spot any difference in screen door between the different zoom settings (I couldn't see any screen door from my viewing pos anyway and I didn't know about the binocular trick.)
post #16 of 16 Old 11-13-2002, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
You will probably need the projector back about 18 to 20 feet though for a 7 foot wide image though.
Sounds perfect for my room.
As many others here I will pull the trigger if this pj doesn't
have a serious weakness(es).

Excuse the question but, wouldn't adjusting the lens to the
smallest or near smallest image size from a given distance
reduce any screen door effect as long as the image didn't
exceed say 72 to 90" in width?

Milt

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page