Q for those with LCD and Short Throw - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-13-2002, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering an LCD Projector with Short Throw.

7foot wide screen is obtained from 9.5 to 11.5 back.
Being an LCD, I recognize the need to be ~2x screen width from the screen.

So thinking about viewing from let's say 13 feet from screen, the projector will be in front of me (2 to 4 feet) Ceiling mounted probably makes the most sense

How many of you have a situation such as this?
do you find the projector in front distracting?

tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-13-2002, 11:13 AM

I have just such a setup except that the projector is on a coffee table in front of my seating position. All other dimensions are identical.

If I had my preferences, the projector would be ceiling mounted. Unfortunately, I would need a pole about 7' long in order to get the projector to the proper height. This hardly conforms with even the most liberal WAF!

So, given the restrictions that I have, I am quite happy with the projector in front of me. Once the movie is going, it is hardly a distraction at all. One other benefit is that if a guest stands up to get a refreshment, or to get rid of one, they do not block the image for everyone else.

David

If one, jump two. If two, jump three.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-13-2002, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks David

I forgot one aspect. My ceiling is 6-4

I can't really do the coffee table thing. My 2.5 yo likes movies too. Can't have him touching the thing or looking into the lense.

Quote:
Once the movie is going, it is hardly a distraction at all.
this is what I was hoping. Which projector do you have btw?
post #4 of 11 Old 11-13-2002, 12:11 PM

I have an AE100 in my corporate apartment and an AE300 for my home (this is the location that we have been talking about.) Can I safely assume that you also have an AExxx?

I have a 20-month old but I have no choice in the placement of the projector. My daughter already understands that her utility as a tax break will not override my desire to kill if she harms the projector :)

You have a 6'4" ceiling? I'd have such a knot on my head in such an installation! The projector wouldn't fare so well either!

David

If one, jump two. If two, jump three.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-13-2002, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking at the Sanyo PLV-Z1 actually

Yes, it will be tough with that height. Gotta figure it out. I should make a mock-up or something. See where it would be, where I can put furniture, etc
post #6 of 11 Old 11-13-2002, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

got my TW100 throwing a 7 ft wide image (could be bigger if my wall was wider :( )from 10 ft away. i sit 9ft back and see screendoor only on brightly lit scenes. otherwise, the picture is as smooth as film.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-14-2002, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim J
I'm looking at the Sanyo PLV-Z1 actually

Yes, it will be tough with that height. Gotta figure it out. I should make a mock-up or something. See where it would be, where I can put furniture, etc
Check the manual on the other threads on the Sanyo. It will tell you if it's suitable for your situation.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-14-2002, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Jim,

I've got a PLV-Z1. Distance from screen to back wall is 330cm (a little under 11ft). I've fixed a 45cm-deep shelf on the back wall, so the PJ is right above my head. I'd say eye-screen distance is about 300cm. I'm projecting a 180cm-wide image and enjoying every minute of it.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #9 of 11 Old 11-14-2002, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
tbusquet says:
Check the manual on the other threads on the Sanyo. It will tell you if it's suitable for your situation.
hehe. I have been reading it. I'm the one who is hosting the manual.

This morning I taped a box of approximately same size to my ceiling. Gonna live with it for a day. I have about a hand between the top of my head and the [top of the] projector. I thought it would seem intrusive, but it isn't so. this a brown box against a white ceiling. A silver-grey unit against {the eventual} grey ceiling will be hardly noticed at all. Well, that might not be so good. I don't want my taller friends hitting their head....
post #10 of 11 Old 11-14-2002, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

For some idea of the room layout:

Top with Dimension the screen will be located where the TV is, maybe a foot or so out from the wall (maybe on the wall)

Ortho from right
Ortho from left
sub is in other corner now from these shots. Ceiling height is true behind the TV (61" 4:3 toshiba) for a sense of scale.

I now actually have a couch, loveseat, 2 (easily moved, Ikea job) chairs. Plan to keep the couch shown basically where it is, maybe forward a tad, Loveseat behind (it's seat is a bit higher than the couch). Chairs to the left if sitting on the couch.

I'm thinkg I'll need the screen to be almost to the ceiling. maybe a 4inch border. With the Z1 lense shift I will be at one of the extremes. I can adjust picture up to the ceiling for 2.35:1 movies and just mask the bottom.

what do you all think?
post #11 of 11 Old 11-14-2002, 09:37 PM

Hi Jim J,

I've got a tight space for my "theatre" too. I'll have to ceiling mount the Z1 no matter what. I'm waiting until I have the machine before I make any final decisions regarding furniture moving, screen sizes, etc.

Right now my screen area would need to be almost to the ceiling thanks to an entertainment center. Pretty sure I'm gonna have to lose it to maximize the screen.

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have a wife yet. Look out ladies, I don't mind the occasional chick flick on my big screen. :)
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page