What is the trade off? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-13-2002, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there a trade off in LCD projectors between the sharpness in definition and the screendoor effect? In other words when one defocuses the projector to ease the screendoor effect do you lose the best quality in definition the projector offers? I ask because I love sharp definition, while at the same time screendoor would be a pain. Is that the trade, or am I missing something here.

thanks for any input you might offer. I'm just trying to get educated.

HotAhr

Charter FTTN TV
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini
118" Screen
PlayStation 4
All I want for Christmas is my Emo Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-13-2002, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Technically--yes, there is a tradeoff in "defocusing". It's interesting to me though that screendoor as an inherent problem with projectors is especially dependent on focus. In other terms, an image from a DVD or even an HDTV feed is less susceptible to defocusing than screendoor. Put yet another way...I find that I can only bring any given image into a certain degree of focus, whereas I can always bring screendoor into perfect focus.

Probably another major factor in all of this is the fact that screendoor effect is a static effect, as if it were a static image. Movies images on the other hand are always in motion. Maybe sharp focus is not as necessary or crucial to moving images, and defocusing stands to affect screendoor more dramatically.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-13-2002, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AH,, first of all thanks for the post. Now, here is another question. If you can only bring focus so far and no further, how does this impact a hi-def picture in terms of sharpness compared to other media displays? Is it poorer than say a rear projection hi-def tv or a tube hi-def tv?

Hotahr

Charter FTTN TV
TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus, & TiVo Mini
118" Screen
PlayStation 4
All I want for Christmas is my Emo Amp
post #4 of 4 Old 11-14-2002, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, there are plenty of ppl here who might say differently, but I think the digital projector technology is getting very close to more traditional box sets. To my eyes, they are the same with the projector having the advantage of SIZE!!!

As far as your question about focus goes...just try this sometime: Focus your projector until everything is razor sharp. Now move right up to the screen. The image is "out of focus" because you can see the individual pixels, but the screendoor will still be razor sharp.

I'm not saying that projected images are not able to be focused...it's just highly dependent on the source. I don't think defocusing to palliate screendoor effect necessarily decreases sharpness of the image from a qualitative standpoint.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page