2Likes
  • 2 Post By AV_Integrated
post #1 of 6 Old 02-19-2015, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool Bang for the buck LED Projector?

I was looking for standard bulb projectors but then realized replacing bulbs could be a pain later so now I decided to get an LED projector instead (which claims up to 50k hours bulb life). Can you guys suggest the best bang for the buck LED projector for bed room use only (low light and less 100" is fine).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-19-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosus View Post
I was looking for standard bulb projectors but then realized replacing bulbs could be a pain later so now I decided to get an LED projector instead (which claims up to 50k hours bulb life). Can you guys suggest the best bang for the buck LED projector for bed room use only (low light and less 100" is fine).
The forthcoming LG PF1500 is the model I would go with.

But, a bigger question is this: How much use do you plan on with this projector?

If you watch a movie a day (2 hours) then the lamp in a projector like the W1070 from BenQ will run for about 5 years. You get one original BenQ lamp ($250) and for under $1,000 you get about 10 YEARS worth of use out of a projector which is brighter, has better placement flexibility, has 3D, and has very good color.

The existing LG PF85 is certainly worth considering if you need something now, but quality LED front projection is not a priority for manufacturers. CHEAP is a priority, quality is not. LG seems to be the exception to this rule, and their upcoming PF1500 is really a very exciting model.

In reality, if you are happy to live with a quality hit, then there are a number of 500-700 lumen models which are 1280x800 resolution which may serve you just fine.
Ftoast and curiosus like this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-19-2015, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@AV_Integrated Thanks! Now I'm back to decision making LOL. But you're right, even at 2 hours a day, the lamp life is long enough. In reality we'll probably use it only on weekends which could translate to 10+ years in a single bulb.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-20-2015, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
@AV_Integrated Thanks! Now I'm back to decision making LOL. But you're right, even at 2 hours a day, the lamp life is long enough. In reality we'll probably use it only on weekends which could translate to 10+ years in a single bulb.
Yeah it comes down to hour usage as you mentioned, along with how often the projector would be turned on and off, your luck with not getting a lower life bulb, the type of users (reasonably careful adults or kids), and to some extent heat generated (a bulb projector I tested in our basement made the room hotter compared to the LED unit I ended up purchasing). In terms of LED, I still consider the PA70g I got a great deal, because for some reason Fry's had it shortly after release for $450. But for higher res and brighter image mostly it is traditional lamp for now (although lamps fade in brightness over lifespan, unlike LED which reportedly remains reasonably consistent in light output). I am intrigued by that new LG LED PF1500 unit coming out this spring, I am hoping it does well and gives the projector industry a much needed kick in the pants, lol.
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bedroom use? I really like the LG PA77u I bought (~$600) as an upgrade from an LG HW300T (a bit too dim & loud). Long life, no color wheel (one less failure point), quiet fans, built-in HDTV tuner, & SmartTV functionality. Am using an 84" 16:9 screen; wouldn't want to push much past that for 3D content.

I also have a BenQ w1070 - much brighter, much louder, & perfectly suited to the rec room's 100+" screen. Surround sound moots the fan noise; A/V stack makes up for the lack of intrinsic streaming capabilities.
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
For people who have been using projectors for 1 or 2 decades we all went through this feeling of seeing the bulb replaced with something else. The simple fact is we are not there yet. The possible replacements are either very expensive and/or unproven how they will evolve over the lifetime of the product.

Best advice is to calculate the price of a bulb into your projector or even make a deal with your dealer to include 1 or 2 spares. Say your add 2 replacement bulbs as part of the deal at 350 each thats 700.

4000 hours per bulb is now normal. In reality you are probably replace at 2500 max. So now you have 7500 hours (1 in the projector and 2 spares).

so excluding the base cost of the projector you pay about 10cents per hour and about 7 years of viewing.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page