HS10 in a small room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-13-2002, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm really interested in the HS10 ...but the room I have to place the pj measures 13' X 10'. The current seating arrangement will put me at about 10.5 feet away from the wall where the screen will be. Given these dimensions and what I've read, I think I could use an 80" wide (92" diag.) screen, placing the pj against the back wall.

What I am concerned about is screen-door, since I will be sitting just a tad (approx. 6") over 1.5 the screen width (80" x 1.5 = 10 feet). How noticeable would screen door be at this distance? Would I be better off going with a smaller screen, say 72" wide (82" diag) and thus increasing the ratio to about 1.75 times the screen width?

Mikey_C

Mikey_C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-13-2002, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I did not see HS10 myself, yet, but someone on this forum said that from 1.5 distance from the screen , screen doors on HS10 were not visible ... Its probably due to HS10 high res .. + if you combine HS10 with Gray screen like I will, screen doors will not be an issue to you ....

Crestron & AMX Programmer. GUI Designer.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-13-2002, 08:43 PM

Hi,

I am also considering the HS10 for my small room:

• My walls are 146" apart
• I'd like to project on a 75" wide wall, (confined between two doors)
• Ceiling is 117" high
• Sitting on my couch, my eyes would be 128" from the projected image
• I'm guessing that I should place the back of the projector a minimum of 6" away from the wall, for ventilation
• So the front of the projector would be about 131" away from the projection surface

Based on some of the varying Throw Ratios I've seen attributed to the HS10, ranging from approximately 1.5 to 1.8, I think I could swing a 75" wide 16:9 projected image at a distance of 131" (from front of projector, with 6" space between rear of projector and wall)

The big question is, AM I RIGHT?

Thanks,

William

By the way, I have posted a suggestion in Forum Feedback: We need a Glossary of Measurement Terms.

http://www.macboy.com
Cartoons for Mac Geeks!
post #4 of 8 Old 11-13-2002, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd say that you'd want to be probably minimum 1.7 times the screen width (not diag, horizontal width) to avoid screen door. At 1.5 I could see some slight screen door. I was using a white screen though, and being pretty picky.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-13-2002, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Builty:

were you able to compare a DLP to the HS10?

I currently using a XGA Dlp from my wife's job and was wondering how it would compare to the HS10 I ordered.

Mikey: My room setup was the same as yours and I was going to use a 72" screen which I've been testing with a 4x3 projector and the image was as good as my 53" rear projection tv. I'm now projecting a 105" picture on a wall which is 21' away.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-14-2002, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

In my setup, I will be sitting 1,7x screenwidth away from a 6,5' wide (grey) screen - screendoor should not be an issue.

wlevin:
Clearance against the backwall for ventilation is not nessacary - the HS10's cooling fan and exhaust is located at it's front... :)

- Thomas (mounting against backwall as well...)
post #7 of 8 Old 11-14-2002, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

3ems, I wasn't able to a back to back with a DLP in the same room, but I did see a number of DLPs in the weeks leading up to renting the HS10. I saw the Yamaha DLP1 (I think thats the model), Mitsubishi XD200, and some cheap Benq's. I didn't get to see any of the more well known ones like NEC or Sharp. In my opinion the HS10 compared very favourably against them and being sensitive to rainbows its a no-brainer for me.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-14-2002, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
HS10 has fans in the front .. Behind you have only cable connections, so as long as you have space to easily connect PC, DVD etc, you don't have to leave a lot of space ...

Quote:
Originally posted by wlevin
Hi,

I am also considering the HS10 for my small room:

• My walls are 146" apart
• I'd like to project on a 75" wide wall, (confined between two doors)
• Ceiling is 117" high
• Sitting on my couch, my eyes would be 128" from the projected image
• I'm guessing that I should place the back of the projector a minimum of 6" away from the wall, for ventilation
• So the front of the projector would be about 131" away from the projection surface

Based on some of the varying Throw Ratios I've seen attributed to the HS10, ranging from approximately 1.5 to 1.8, I think I could swing a 75" wide 16:9 projected image at a distance of 131" (from front of projector, with 6" space between rear of projector and wall)

The big question is, AM I RIGHT?

Thanks,

William

By the way, I have posted a suggestion in Forum Feedback: We need a Glossary of Measurement Terms.

Crestron & AMX Programmer. GUI Designer.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page