Convert native 16:9 to 4:3, or native 4:3 to 16:9? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am finally ready to buy a projector, and of course I am getting this guilty feeling for not seriously considering a native 16:9 unit. So now I am.

I would think that if you projeced 16:9 native, and scaled it down to 4:3 that you would end up with two highest quality HDTV images? What would you lose on the 4:3 screen(versus buying a native 4:3), as it is inevitable that 4:3 will be here for a while and is very popular?

I know you lose lines of resolution going from a 4:3 native to 16:9. My projector sales person says that the difference will not be noticeable. The reason I am buying this thing is to function as a hdtv. I have a hard time beleiving that I would not notice in a football game for example, the reduced lines of resolution, in the clarity when viewing multiple players from a distance shot. Plus, could I sleep knowing that I am not running hdtv 16:9 at its fullest capabilities? I think I would sleep better having the resolution and a loan payment than without the resolution :)

If anyone else out there has experimented or researched this, please share your thoughts, ideas, or just educate us. In the mean time, I am looking at best reasonable native 16:9's so I can be ready to "make the call".

See ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 10:26 AM

darylrue,

My only reason for having a home theater is to watch my DVDs's and eventually HDTV, both of which are wide screen formats. I could care less about TV and 4:3 programming. I have a TV for 4:3 and that suits me fine. But when it comes to movies, any thing other then 16:9 is not an option for me and I like to know that I am getting the best picture I can from my DVD's. Depending on your screen size I think the lost resolution with 16:9 on a native 4:3 could very well be noticeable. In the end you have to be happy with the picture and the projector must fit your viewing habits. The best thing to do is see for yourself.

GW
post #3 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 11:19 AM

darylrue - If you're mainly viewing HDTV material, then buy a 16:9 projector. Also, you're not going to lose any resolution lines by viewing 4:3 material on a 16:9 projector - 4:3 material consists of 480 maximum lines or res. All (to my knowledge) 16:9 projectors have at least 480 lines.

I have experimented with 4:3 on 16:9, and 16:9 on 4:3. Don't get me wrong HDTV still looks great on a 4:3 XGA projector, but it looks even better (maybe 40%) on a 16:9 WXGA projector.

You should take a look at http://www.hometheaterpeople.com/course/default.asp

Hope this helps.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

IMHO watching sports in the dark sucks. Do not trade lumens for 16:9 capability if a significant amount (say greater than 20%) of your viewing will be sports.

That said, some of the LCD 16:9 machines are plenty bright...but the DLP ones seem to be uniformly dimmer than their 4:3 counterparts.

Most of the 16:9 projectors I've seen will pillarbox 4:3 material. Meaning you'll not be losing resolution if I correctly understand what they are doing...

Regards,

Nigel
post #5 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 05:31 PM

I like to think of it this way, a 4X3 proj has to MAKE 16:9.
A 16:9 proj CONTAINS 4X3.

Unless of course your favorite viewing material is 4X3 and you wanna save some money, then by all means, get a 4X3.

C

Fullscreen is an F-word
post #6 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

I was considering the new pvl-hs10 from sony. 1200 lumens. Is that enough brightness? I agree, I DO NOT want to watch SPORTS in the dark. Just movies. I would say greater than 40% of my viewing will be football. Great point and thanks for bringing it up. I have my fingers crossed that 1200 would be enough. Oh yeah, I have a basement with no windows and only can lighting where the bulbs actually sit out of the can. I am bringing home the lt150z from work soon to verify that the 1000 lumens will be ok. Please advise however, as I may not be able to borrow this.

Thanks!
post #7 of 9 Old 11-15-2002, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'm not contesting your decision.. but what's wrong with watching sports in the dark? That's how I always watch the Superbowl.. even on a regular CRT TV.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-16-2002, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

It just does not seem right during a day game. A night game, ok, surely I want the "option" to go either way.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2002, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
IMHO the 1200 lumens on the Sony or a Sanyo 60 or 70HT is just fine for having the lights on.

While I don't have my pj yet (between the HS10 and PLVZ1 right now) I've watched tv and played some video games with the lights on at my neighbor's house on his Sanyo 60 (actualy SE version) with the 1200 lumens. We didn't have any problems enjoying the material.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page