New PJ, will I still need my iScanPro - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to get a new PJ, sold the Viewsonic DLP with my house. I was thinking of the PowerLite 51c, but now I'm seriously considering the Infocus X1. Will my progressive out on my DVD look as good as the converted 480p from the iScan Pro when I used the non-progressive out on the DVD player?. Or should I just keep the iScan Pro and use it with a cheap Sharp XG-E1200U LCD offered to me and save the cash ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 10:08 AM

The iScan Pro uses the SIL503, more expensive external processors are using the FLI 2200. As the X1 has the FLI 2200 inside, I think that you won´t need the iScan any longer and that the X1 should give you a better picture when it uses his internal electronics. I can´t imagine that the Sharp LCD can compare with the X1.

Stefan
post #3 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Besides, the IScan Pro doesn't do the native res of the projector so the X1 will still be using the one inside, and that no good IMO.

ddog!

To see pictures of my home theater & screen shots click on the www icon at the top or go to:

http://home.1asphost.com/ddogtheater/
post #4 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmos
The iScan Pro uses the SIL503, more expensive external processors are using the FLI 2200. As the X1 has the FLI 2200 inside, I think that you won´t need the iScan any longer and that the X1 should give you a better picture when it uses his internal electronics. I can´t imagine that the Sharp LCD can compare with the X1.

Stefan
Should the X1 look better with 480p from the DVD, or 480i, or will it use the internal Processor either way? Cheers!
post #5 of 9 Old 11-14-2002, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
After many experiences with such questions, I have learned that the only definitive answer is "try it."

The theory of operation should be that one would see very little difference between using the IScan Pro or the X1's internal Faroudja into an SVGA DLP; if there is a difference, it should favor the X1 slightly, especially on material that was originally video rather than film.

If you are buying the X1, and already have the Iscan Pro, I would suggest trying it out before selling the IScan.

As to the difference between 480P and 480I from a DVD player, similar answer.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-15-2002, 03:12 AM

Hello Robert, to answer your question I copy a Bob Williams answer about the X1: "Only 480i, 576i, s-video, and composite use the Faroudja processing, so these sources may look better than 480p and 576p from a progressive DVD player that does not have Faroudja inside."

Stefan
post #7 of 9 Old 11-15-2002, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmos
X1: "Only 480i, 576i, s-video, and composite use the Faroudja processing"

Stefan
Hey, thanks for all the answers. Does this also mean a signal going through the s-video via the component adapter ??

-Robert
post #8 of 9 Old 11-15-2002, 05:33 AM

Hello Robert, I think this depends on the signal. If you send a progressive signal (480p, 576p), then not. If you send a not progressive signal via component, then the Faroudja gets active. I am waiting for the first reports about the X1, it all sounds very good.

Stefan
post #9 of 9 Old 11-15-2002, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I'll echo what others have said and add a small list of test material. It does depend on your source and it's original format. If you feed a pro-scan component input from a pro-scan DVD or HD device, then obviously the iScan will be moot. But when it comes to interlaced material you need to judge the iScan using a variety of video.

1) Film originated (24fps) video will be processed differently by both units. Any major movie on DVD will do.

2) Video originated (60 field) video will also be processed differently. Any sports event or newscast is shot in 60i, and will be a good test.

3) Film or CG originated (30fps) material, which is somewhat rare, are handled differently. As of this time, I know of only one somewhat major DVD shot in 30fps: "Oklahoma!" ..Most CG for film movies, like "A Bug's Life", are rendered at 24fps, as they will end up going to film.

4) Going into ultra-rare material, field-sequential 3-D video will be processed differently, by either making or breaking the 3-D image. The IMAX 3-D DVDs are great demos.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say the X1's internal will probably end up being better with film and 60i video, but note that is still just a guess.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page