16:9 Native Projectors and 4:3 source..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-14-2002, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was reading article on projector central regarding what regular TV would look like on a 16:9 projector/16:9 screen:

"With a 16:9 projector your best option is to display 4:3 material in smaller format using the middle two-thirds of the screen with blank pillars or columns on each side of the image that fill the space between the image and the sides of your screen. If the 4:3 material is coming from your DVD player or an HDTV channel, the pillars will be black, which is tolerable. If it is coming from your television feed, the pillars will be medium to light gray which is, in a word, hideous. Nothing destroys the impact of a video image more that surrounding it with gray pillars."

I was was really considering a 16:9 projector/screen, but we will watch some TV as well. If there are gray pillars, that would probably change my mind. Why would it be grey instead of black pillars on the sides? Also, do different models of projectors handle it differently?

16:9 Projectors I am looking at:
Panasonic AE300
Sony HS10

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-14-2002, 11:10 AM

dj - The pillars could be black (depending on the contrast level of your projector). Dont't think of it as grey pillars - think of it as the opposite of 16:9 material displayed (letterboxed) on a normal 4:3 TVset.

You could also stretch the 4:3 material to fit the entire 16:9 pannel, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I have an Epson TW100 (16:9 native) and I display regular TV centered in 16:9 pannel. It's really not as bad as you would think - I don't even notice the dead space on right/left after about 30 seconds.

The AE300 and HS10 both have good contrast ratio's. So, the left/right 'pillars' will be as dark as the projectors ability to display black.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-2002, 11:13 AM

the sony vpl12-vwht projector which is 16x9 wxga (just like the hs-10)
i just put a 4x3 channel on it, switched from widezoom (which ISN'T that bad)to normal, and even w/a da-lite hi power 2.8 you can't see pixels or anything where there was screen but no picture.
avman.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-14-2002, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that is what I was thinking also.

They also say this:

"However keep in mind that when it comes to DVD movies there is a formatting problem to consider. Many are wider than 16:9. For example, Dances with Wolves, Tombstone, U-571, American Beauty, and Star Wars/Phantom Menace (to name a few) are all 2.35:1, not 1.78:1. So when you display these movies on a 16:9 screen you will have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, each bar amounting to about 12% of the picture height. The bars are not as large as they would be on a 4:3 screen, but they can be visible nevertheless."

Why would the "bars" be black above/below the 16:9 source and grey on the pillars on the side of a 4:3 source. Wouldn't it be the same color (depending on the contrast of your projector)?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-14-2002, 01:57 PM

I heard somewhere that tv channels deliberately broadcast grey bars to protect CRT based television sets from burn in. Could this be what projector central are suggesting ?
It's easy to apply vertical masking masking if it becomes a problem. Personally, grey bars left and right of a 4:3 image dont really bother me.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-14-2002, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

dj7675:

All the areas with no image will be "black". They will be the same "black" no matter if they are on the sides or top and bottom.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-14-2002, 02:29 PM

If one were to try to apply masking to a 16:9 screen for 4:3 viewing does it work well?

What is the best material to use for the mask? can curtains be used or does the mask need to be flat?

Would masking at the PJ (on a lens cap or just in front of the lens) be more effective?

I am still in the planning stages and considering ae300 or hs10. any insight is appreciated.

Jim
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page