BenQ 1070 owners - Confess about the Rainbow Effect - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Medisinyl
  • 1 Post By arobe
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
post #1 of 8 Old Today, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
vij

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BenQ 1070 owners - Confess about the Rainbow Effect

Hi guys,

I am in the process of constructing a dedicated home theater. Initially I was sure I would go for the Sony 40es. But paying for the civil work of the fresh room and then getting quotations for some 'acoustic stuff' has humbled me and I am now considering a budget projector that can atleast give around 80% of the Sony picture. Looking at the reviews - the BenQ1070 seems to be a favorite.

My questions to current BenQ 1070 owners are:

1. Rainbow effect! How bad is it in general and how often are you reminded of it?

2. This is actually pretty important. I watch lot of downloaded 1080 rips. I use .srt files for the subtitles always. Now that would be white text on dark background. I am worried about rainbow in such scenario. Your inputs?

3. How is the picture with the downloaded 1080 rips?

4. How is football/cricket? Any good? I watch a lot of sports.

5. Do you see the rainbow when you are gaming? Is it more while gaming?

6. Lastly, How noisy is it? Il be sitting 4 feet from it - Is it noisier than a ceiling fan?

Last edited by vij; Today at 05:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Today, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I see absolutely zero rainbows during movies (2d/3d) or games (2d/3d [PS3]). However, my girlfriend can see the rainbows occasionally at the same times I cannot (she's had laser eye surgery if that makes any difference). Nobody else has made any mention of rainbows. Seems it depends on the person.
vij likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old Today, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have seen no rainbows

The picture quality is good. I watch Dish for TV and have all of my movies as m4v and have no issue with quaility even with the movies compressed.
The black levels are not as good as my plasma but that is to be expected.

The fan noise for me has only been an issue when i set the lamp power to anything but Eco mode. I sit directly beneath my unit.
vij likes this.
post #4 of 8 Old Today, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I am RBE sensitive, and I certainly see them on the W1070. It definitely isn't as bad as it is on 2x color wheel projectors, which I notice immediately, and it has gotten to the point where I barely notice it unless I go out of my way to notice it. So, I am in the camp of noticing, but not being distracted, or at least over distracted, by it.

The projector is great for all high quality content, including sports, and the overall 'bright' nature of sports helps to keep RBE issues to an absolute minimum, with the blending of colors, and bright colors - it's a very nice experience.

For your downloads, understand that 1080p downloads are generally pretty bad.

H.264 downloads generally run just a few GB for a 2 hour movie. A Blu-ray Disc which uses H.264 encoding as well, generally runs 30GB or so. That's a file 1/10th the size, with the same encoding format. So, it's nowhere near the quality of a Blu-ray Disc, and front projection is where the failures of the encoding show up. They don't look bad, heck, they look really good, but if you are looking for faults in the quality, it is easy enough to find, and it originates in the source. This is a GIGO issue though. Garbage-In, Garbage-Out. If you want the best looking image from any front projection setup, start with the highest quality source you possibly can, and digital downloads aren't that 'quality' source. Even though they can be very nice looking.

I download a fair amount of TV, and I see the difference compared to Blu-ray right away. But, I also see how good it looks and it's very acceptable.
vij likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 8 Old Today, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
vij

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting observations all. Useful discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by arobe View Post
I have seen no rainbows

The picture quality is good. I watch Dish for TV and have all of my movies as m4v and have no issue with quaility even with the movies compressed.
The black levels are not as good as my plasma but that is to be expected.

The fan noise for me has only been an issue when i set the lamp power to anything but Eco mode. I sit directly beneath my unit.
Thank you. How noisy? As noisy as a ceiling fan? as noisy as a regular PC? As noisy as an average gaming PC on load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I am RBE sensitive, and I certainly see them on the W1070. It definitely isn't as bad as it is on 2x color wheel projectors, which I notice immediately, and it has gotten to the point where I barely notice it unless I go out of my way to notice it. So, I am in the camp of noticing, but not being distracted, or at least over distracted, by it.

The projector is great for all high quality content, including sports, and the overall 'bright' nature of sports helps to keep RBE issues to an absolute minimum, with the blending of colors, and bright colors - it's a very nice experience.

For your downloads, understand that 1080p downloads are generally pretty bad.

H.264 downloads generally run just a few GB for a 2 hour movie. A Blu-ray Disc which uses H.264 encoding as well, generally runs 30GB or so. That's a file 1/10th the size, with the same encoding format. So, it's nowhere near the quality of a Blu-ray Disc, and front projection is where the failures of the encoding show up. They don't look bad, heck, they look really good, but if you are looking for faults in the quality, it is easy enough to find, and it originates in the source. This is a GIGO issue though. Garbage-In, Garbage-Out. If you want the best looking image from any front projection setup, start with the highest quality source you possibly can, and digital downloads aren't that 'quality' source. Even though they can be very nice looking.

I download a fair amount of TV, and I see the difference compared to Blu-ray right away. But, I also see how good it looks and it's very acceptable.
Thank you for the detailed opinions. Have you observed how subtitle text appears? Does it bring out rainbow effect more so?

Last edited by vij; Today at 07:20 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old Today, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't have a 1070, but an older DT500 DLP unit that has a 5x color wheel. For me, RBE is only noticeable in dark scenes, especially dark red scenes and if i dart my eyes left and right. I can watch a whole movie and never notice it, but other films are more noticeable.
post #7 of 8 Old Today, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I was very concerned about RBE to the point that I visited half a dozen stores until I found a W1070 on display. I watched most of a full movie, to the annoyance of the sales guy. I didn't see any rainbows no matter what I did, so I bought one. I have 700 hrs on mine now, with brilliant color turned on, dynamic mode, etc. -- all the things that should make rainbows most visible -- and I have still never seen one. I rarely watch anything with subtitles, but have not noticed RBE in them. I watch the credits to movies which are nothing but bright white text on black background and do not notice RBE there, either.

I only watch using smart-ECO lamp mode, and it is about as loud as a standard desktop PC, not a gaming PC. Quieter if the scene is dark because the W1070 smart-ECO dims the lamp and slows the fans if the scene is dark.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
i sometimes see them on credits. and i have seen them on subtitles. thankfully subtitles are very infrequently used. and i'm usually hitting the eject pretty quick once the credits start to roll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page