Benq w1070 upgrade, DLP - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 4 Unread Today, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Benq w1070 upgrade, DLP

I love the look of DLP projectors and was wondering if there are any DLP projectors out there that provide a substantial boost in image quality over the w1070. Don't get me wrong, I like how the w1070 looks, but I've been itching for an upgrade lol. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Unread Today, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
I love the look of DLP projectors and was wondering if there are any DLP projectors out there that provide a substantial boost in image quality over the w1070. Don't get me wrong, I like how the w1070 looks, but I've been itching for an upgrade lol. Thanks!
That's such a good question, and the answer seems to be 'not really'. The W7000 may be a bit of an upgrade, but there isn't a model which really performs as a significant upgrade while still being DLP and reasonably priced. Arguments for some models in the $3,000+ category can certainly be made.

But, DLP has completely dropped the ball in making a competitor to the 5030 and HW40ES models out there. A long zoom, good lens shift, great blacks with FI, and great color in a 6x+ color wheel design make so much sense, but are so completely lacking from the industry it blows me away.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 4 Unread Today, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
The Benq HC1200 has a better quality lens and more throw than the W1070 while being about 30% brighter so it can support larger screens. So if your idea of "upgrade" is being able to support a 180" screen with similar brightness and pop to the W1070 on a 150" screen, and get a 3 year warranty for $950 the HC1200 seems like a bargain. On the other hand, the lamp is more expensive and has a shorter life, so for a TV replacement guy like me who puts 2500 hrs a year on his projectors, it is not so good.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #4 of 4 Unread Today, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Since Mitsubishi dropped out of the DLP market a little over a year ago no DLP projectors are available in this upper range of the $3000 category. Some HC7900DW are still around but are full dedicated theater projectors and too dim for any large screen or non dedicated room. Same goes for Optoma's hd8300, the HD50 is their only offering even close to those projectors that have been discontinued.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page