Optoma HD33 Flickering - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Optoma HD33 Flickering

Hey all, first post.

I recently bought an Optoma HD33 off ebay and have been having some issues with the picture. When I first powered it up there weren't any problems, but then a few minutes into viewing, the projector started making a buzzing sound. I gave it a couple taps, and it stopped. This continued for a while so I cracked it open to scope it out and see what was happening. Didn't see anything unusual, so I reassembled and started it back up. No more buzzing, but a couple hours later the picture started flickering. Really annoying sporadic flickers that got worse depending on the level of contrast on screen. I will include a short video.

I opened it up again and tried to blow out any dust that might have gotten in the first time I opened it. This worked, until I rebooted the projector. I feel like I'm chasing ghosts here, hopefully someone has an idea of what's going on.

Let me know if you need more info, I wasn't sure how detailed to be.

EDIT: Okay here's the video.

Last edited by Don't Panic; 04-03-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention, likely unrelated, but the projector never saves any of the settings. It's constantly plugged into a power source... is there an internal battery that saves everything?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
How is it hooked up with the video source? HDMI? Try a different, possibly shorter cable. Of course, this is assuming you haven't messed anything up when you opened it. In terms of the buzzing, it's probably the color wheel going bad. Word of warning, never buy projectors from ebay... you might be fine, but it's generally known to be sketchy.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 81
My first guess is a bad color wheel. Does it do it on the menus? Buzzing noise points to bad bearings in color wheel. Also do a full factory reset to see if it helps with the settings going away.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
Old 04-03-2015, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

It is through HDMI. Switching cables didn't do anything. It looks like I should start to look for another color wheel. I might take it in for a repair estimate. Just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement